Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Drax

Arcane

11afihf.jpg

:lol::salute:

Ok, which one of you fags wrote this?

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After working all days in closed room for all days (almost never in home=thinking if his partner started cheating), multiple crunching, always being too late, constant "it was for yesterday" with work filled with bugs and being cute corporate drone everyone go nuts, no matter who they were before.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thanks for that Infinitron

I had questioned the validity of the video myself since Apple seem more anal about censorship in games on their platform than Nintendo, as the recent Papers, Please newspiece demonstrated.

It's still funny to watch, though. Makes me wonder what kind of idiot would want to buy a game after watching the video.

Perkel

Arcane
What happens when a 21st-century kid plays through video game history in chronological order?
https://medium.com/message/playing-with-my-son-e5226ff0a7c3

Probably the same thing that happens with my son: "That's old! I don't play/watch/listen to something from before I was born! That's crap!"
ME: [tears in my eyes] "Someday, my child, your own son will tell you that everything (older than he) is shit old stuff sucks!"

Problem here is that no one made you play those games. You played them on your own.

First thing i would do to humanity as a god:

I would kill all people telling someone that they should do xyz or you missed something you need to go back.

Problem with older games also is that they need to compete with newer games. Which hurts them especially in therms of graphic and UI design.

Destroid

Arcane
Problem with older games also is that they need to compete with newer games. Which hurts them especially in therms of graphic and UI design.

Have you played new games lately? Good releases are very few and far between, lucky to get 2 or 3 good games in a year.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
imo he fucked up the kid with consoles, should have gone with 1990's pc gaming.
That's common practise in KWA these days. Neogaf hipster parents making their kids "appreciate the classics" by making them play NES/SNES/Genesis. Nothing wrong with that, plenty of games with no handholding, high challenge and good design there, but like you said most of those people who complain about modern AAA games and long after the good old days engaged in little to no PC gaming back in the day and to them retro nostalgia almost exclusively about 8/16-bit platformers with a bit of Zelda on the side, Atari 2600 and Doom if you're lucky. They likely won't even talk to their kids about arcade games or make them play systems like Master System, Turbografx-16, Neo Geo or Saturn. Only the "mainstream" of retro gamign.

Though I've seen pictures from couple of parents who have entire rooms dedicated to gaming with real arcade cabinets and retro PC gaming stations where their little kids play classic computer RPGs, old FPS games, fighting games and bullet hell shoot em ups :thumbsup:

Norfleet

My son Eliot was born in 2004 — the year of Half-Life 2, Doom 3, and the launch of the Nintendo DS. By the time he was born, video games were a $26B industry.
I love games, and I genuinely wanted Eliot to love and appreciate them too. So, here was my experiment:

What happens when a 21st-century kid plays through video game history in chronological order?
https://medium.com/message/playing-with-my-son-e5226ff0a7c3
That's nothing. I've completely destroyed a 6 year old's capacity for fun such that it thinks memorizing Wikkapedia and filling out the taxes is entertainment, and hates fun even more than me. Fun is stupid and sucks, it's time to farm some more gold!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom