Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/07/22/worst-game-names/

NEW SINGLE PURPOSE CONSULTING FIRM TARGETS GAME INDUSTRY
Don’t Name Your Game That, Ltd. Has One Piece Of Advice And You Can Have It For Free

Bath, EnglandJuly 21, 2014–Don’t Name Your Game That, an internet-based consulting firm today announced that it would lend voice and cheap jokes to the internal screams of followers of game news everywhere. “It’s time to put an end to forgettable, unsearchable, derivative, non-sensical and downright awful names everywhere,” said company founder Dr. Stephen Farts.

Naming things has always been a difficult task, as demonstrated by celebrity-aping baby names, every post-’80s Bond movie, and the Republic of Chad. Yet videogames seem to be failing at it with unprecedented gusto.

“The important thing to note is that this isn’t a criticism of the creators or the games themselves,” said Dr. Farts. “Many of the most exciting or interesting games currently in-development have dumb names.”

Over the course of a press conference interrupted regularly by wailing and gnashing of teeth by the assembled press corp, Dr. Farts outlined a number of examples of these dumb names. We’ve since forgotten or become confused as to the names of those games, but Don’t Name Your Game That were able to forward us a transcript of Dr. Farts remarks for the purposes of writing this release.

Two weeks ago Gearbox, developers of Borderlands, announced a first-person MOBA. It’s called Battleborn and it might be cool.

At this year’s E3 the developers of Dark Souls announced a new game called Bloodborne. It’s by From Software and so it might be cool.

Shortly before E3, in May, Bethesda announced a free-to-play third-person action game called BattleCry. It’s world design is by Viktor Antonov and so it might be cool.

BattleCry. Battleborn. Bloodborne. Made by separate companies and announced in quick succession, these games clearly did not know about one another when the names for each were selected, but it’s representative of a broader issue with the thinking of the industry’s professional Namers Of Things.

This is not a recent problem. We’ve been making fun of Blizzard for some time now – even Blizzard have made fun of Blizzard – for names like Heroes of the Storm, Heart of the Swarm, and Hearthstone.

Does anyone not think Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning would have sold better had it not had such a shitty name? What is an Amalur, and what is its reckoning in this context? Kingdoms is just a word for a land ruled by a monarchy. The game name basically translates as “Place of Fantasy Bollocks: Dramatic.”

gamenames2.jpg

AAA games are not the only culprit here. “Lichdom: Battlemage” is a thing. Volume, an anticipated indie game by Mike Bithell, doesn’t rank on the first page of search results for the word “Volume”, because of course it doesn’t. Tale Of Tales launched a Kickstarter for a game called Sunset in the same week Failbetter Games released Sunless Sea, and the project ended one week after a game called The Sun At Night passed Greenlight. The Sun At Night is about a platformer about a dog who can fire lasers, by the way.

Some people might over-zealously protect trademarks, but just because others don’t doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to mimic popular naming conventions. The very idea that you’re trying to evoke something extremely successful taints your game, even if it’s a wholly original work in a different genre.

Warface. Divine Divinity (although don’t blame the devs). Metricide is an indie game not to be confused with Magicite, but if you Google it you’ll discover it’s also a medical disinfectant.

Videogames have even begun naming themselves after previous games in the same series. As in: Tomb Raider. The sequel is even called Rise Of The Tomb Raider, which could only have been more predictable and rubbish if they had named it Tomb Raider 2.

I could go on (Doom) and on (Star Citizen, Starbound, Starforge, StarDrive, Star Ruler 2 and Starsector are all games that released within a year of each other) and on.

After going on, Don’t Name Your Game That offered the following advice for how to name your game:

1. Don’t make your game so similar to the name of a dozen other games that people will be regularly confused by which is which. Even though the familiarity might make the type of game identifiable at a glance, you need to differentiate yourself somehow.

2. If your name is short and has multiple meanings, then you are very clever. Probably its having multiple meanings also means that it’s a common word or phrase and that you will struggle to be found via search engines.

3. You might want to use a fantasy or in-fiction word somewhere in your title, to help evoke the type of game. Do not do this to the extent of removing all literal meaning.

4. If at all possible, do not have a subtitle after a colon, otherwise you will incite Don’t Call Your Game That: Vengeance.

5. The words “Battle”, “Star”, “Craft”, “Forge” and “Z” are banned. The phrases “Rise of the”, “Heroes of the”, “Heart of the”, really anything “of the” and “: Origins” similarly so.

6. What is an example of a good name? Here are two. a) Prison Architect. “Prison” is the game’s setting and theme. “Architect” is what you do, while evoking the era of “Tycoon” and “Park” games without outright using them. b) Kerbal Space Progam. “Kerbal” is an in-fiction word, but it evokes the cuteness and friendliness of its setting. “Space Program” is what you do.

7. Seriously it’s not that hard why are you all so bad at this aauuugh

When asked what experience the firm had in naming things, the response was immediate. “Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.” said Dr. Farts. “My middle name is Eaton.”

Last edited:

Koschey

Arcane
Thought so as well, but it turns out it's from RPS. I still refuse to believe there exists a Dr Eaton Farts giving advice on good names for video games.

Infinitron Shamefur dispray for a frequent no-source shamer. No brofist for you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Dr. Farts.

This single little detail made me think this was a P4R article.

It seems that the honorable Dr. Stephen Farts has a naming complex... and for good reason. For those that missed the end:

When asked what experience the firm had in naming things, the response was immediate. “Trust me, I know what I’m talking about.” said Dr. Farts. “My middle name is Eaton.”

DraQ

Arcane
Dr. Farts.

This single little detail made me think this was a P4R article.

It seems that the honorable Dr. Stephen Farts has a naming complex... and for good reason. For those that missed the end:

It's like he's goddamn Batman.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Nah, it's a recurring mistake and it happens from time to time - that story could've been from another tournament. The first time I heard about insta-loss like that was... I dunno, 5 years ago? 6? Rather long, anyhow. And the story is kinda ridiculous simply because the "powergamer" has an all-bike dark angels army and, while I don't follow w40 that closely nowadays, their codex is not that strong for the all-bike army to be powergamey.

Shadenuat

Arcane
I remember seeing this story on 4chan years ago. Maybe it was still a new trick back then? (otherwise the staff guy wouldn't be looking through the rulebook)
You can't all-reserve in new editions, you can only hold 50% in reserve (at least in 6th, I've yet to play 7th, maybe new missions - I heard there are some random new missions that sometimes can't even be completed in a game cause they're so random, lol).
Also bikers should have had Outflank that would allow them to just come from any side of the table. Not sure if Scars have one but generally armies like that have one nowadays or at least an IC that grants them one.

And the tournament officials should have slapped the fucker in black with PHB in the face, give him 0 for Sportsmanship and make them play the game like intended.

all-reserve army are usually cheesy as hell (and not that strong, btw) so he kinda got what he deserved.
No they were not and are not, it was a viable tactic for any army especially melee armies to all reserve, not to mention some armies were always all-reserve by the rules, like Demons, or Drop Pod oriented armies.

all-bike dark angels army and, while I don't follow w40 that closely nowadays, their codex is not that strong for the all-bike army to be powergamey
Allbike was always viable albeit rare, depending on edition.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
And the tournament officials should have slapped the fucker in black with PHB in the face, give him 0 for Sportsmanship and make them play the game like intended.
Like the other guy just did?

That who gives no shit should expect none.
:M
There are many reasons why 40K tournaments are shit and why ETC rules now exist, as well as multiple simultaneous holywars on the most tiny and stupid holes in rules, GW's incompetence&greed and very open-like nature of game itself add to that a lot, but in the end it's all the fags with very little dicks who want to win in game of little soldiers so much they are ready to ruin anyone's day to do it at any cost possible that are the top of that pie full of shit.

Damn I can't even comprehend how foolish it is to try and turn a collectible game into tournament discipline, at least in MTG following meta means just buying a new pack of cards, and you can easily sell old cards and exchange them for a new ones, since cards don't even cost that much. But to switch huge cases full of miniatures for the win and pay other people to paint them for you...

I really need to stop turning this topic into Warseer or something do I.

Chillax... breath... breath... good RPGs... play Divinity... huf puf...
huf.

:kingcomrade:

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Uh...they're both playing within the rules Shade.
You want an all or nothing bet to pay off, if someone call your bet and you're out?

Well, there you have it.

I'm not w40k player at all, but seeing the guy deploy nothing means he's conceding the map over to the other player.
:D Other player claims map. You lose. Surprise!

klMd9PW.gif

Gotcha, Eurotrash.

Last edited:

Shadenuat

Arcane
You want an all or nothing bet to pay off, if someone call your bet and you're out?
All-reserve is not an all-or-nothing and not giving map, it was a standard practice of evaiding part of shooting from 1st turn - game takes 5 to 7 turns. If you don't know meta RK, you better play Agarest. :deadhorse:

both playing within the rules
Fufufu. you don't even know what you don't know RK.
Playing "within rules" in 40K can mean anything you want, because people can often treat many rules however they want.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Back when I played Warhammer Fantasy we would constantly hear similar stories of all-out cheesefests being used in tournaments... both locally and abroad.

One of the funnier ones was where the Unit Formation rules were abused to get across the battlefield on the first turn. The unit was arranged in single file across the deployment zone, facing to one side. Then on the first turn the player would announce that he's turning the unit to face away from the opponent's army. The rules didn't account for the fact that the rear-most models had to travel over 40" to accomplish this task, but the move was perfectly legal.

And the player had several such units.

Of Night Goblins.

One unit of Night Goblins can contain up to three Night Goblin Fanatics, which spin across the battlefield randomly wielding a GIGANTIC ball and chain, smacking into other units and doing horrendous damage. They're activated if the unit containing them is within 8" of an enemy unit.

Cue sheer madness and devastation in the enemy lines as over a dozen Night Goblin Fanatics were unleashed upon the opponent's army on the very first turn.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Being able to use silly and cheesy tricks without feeling bad about it is one of the charms of warhammer tournaments. :) Playing like that in a regular pick-up game makes you a dick though.

Shadenuat

Arcane
It always makes you a dick cause Warhammer just takes too much time. If I get wasted in 3 turns in MTG I just pick up cards and play again. But going through all the hard work to buy&paint an army and carry the case to the game and put everything out just to get beaten by some hole in rules is a different issue. Thankfully all my opponents always were very :obviously: and I only got wasted in 40K by hardships of meta or counter armies. I'd rather see my army evaporate after DE rolled 200 dice in a turn than waste time on cheap shit. I have no issues with power gamers really, since they follow your expectations and it's your fault you are shit and made crappy army.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
people can often treat many rules however they want.

I'm not even sure what you're arguing here.
But hey, i'm not the guy collecting those manchild figurine and pretend they're some badass commander by not deploying early - only to get beat by a guy who read the fine print better.
They're both making the game look bad and I'm just laughing at it.

Shadenuat

Arcane
only to get beat by a guy who read the fine print better
It's not an issue of print, it's about stretching the rules so much they turn into something else. It comes from the way how open game is (ton of armies, true LOS, open board (no hexes)), but mostly it comes from murdering grammar in all the hilarious ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom