Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Delterius

Arcane
If I were "dude who made a game" I would request people limit their video coverage to an hour or two from the first half of the game, which seems sensible and reasonable.

Or you could just make Games that are Fun to PLAY.
What about adventure/puzzle games where spoilers are enough to hollow the experience?

Quatlo

Arcane
I find it an excellent way to see all those shitty new games in action so I can criticise them without the usual counterargument "You didn't play it so how can you know its shite"
Before I could download Bioshock Infinite I clicked through some youtube talking face play through it so I knew enough to skip it and shitpost about it

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Or you could just make Games that are Fun to PLAY.

Then you won't be afraid that people will be satisfied by watching the experience...

The physical and emotional state you gain by mastering a game cannot be achieved by passive watching.

This applies to most games regardless of genre.

By in large I agree with you, and RPGs/shooters trying to be movies is one of my biggest pet peeves. However unless you're writing off entire genres like point and click adventure games, this isn't always true. Someone could certainly get what they really want out of Sam and Max by watching someone play, rather than do it themselves. Personally I enjoy figuring out the puzzles and whatnot, but story is a big enough part of games like that to be concerned about youtube having it all available for nothing.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198046702487/recommended/220660

Recommended

0 hrs last two weeks / 548 hrs on record

AVOID THIS GAME LIKE THE PLAGUE!

this game is a unfinised beta sold as a full version!
even now, while the dev openly has admitted to pull to plug and don't complete the game! He just runs off with the money, and calls his customers names like whiners, trolls and the likes.

He has banned any user that is a proper and vocal critic of this game, and removed over 200 critical topics, during a steam sale, just to keep his scam working!
don't fall for it, do NOT buy this game, and spread the word to your friend DO NOT BUY THIS EVER.

>548 hrs on record
>avoid like the plague

Okay, which one of you is this guy?

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The goal of having each level feel different is definitely achieved, usually by giving you a new item (often replacing an old one) to play with. Some levels are interesting but I find that progress is quite boring. I usually lose a good deal of health the first time I play through a room while I'm working out what needs to be done to get ahead, next room in I die. Back to the start, breeze through first room, low health from working out next room, die in third room. Breeze through 2 rooms, work out etc. So I end up mindlessly playing through shit that is now boring, to get to the interesting part. I did play on hard off the bat though, and perhaps that is lowering the amount of save points in the level.

The boss fights also sometimes suffer from the same problem. Like the one I'm on now, I learned what to do to damage it, that worked for two hits, now something different to damage it! Game Over a few times until I get the third hit, now it's a new thing again, then again. It's very repetitive, especially as it effectively has a 'vulnerable time', so it feels like waiting around until I can get to the bit I actually want to play. I guess they are just too long.

Story and cutscenes are unintentionally hilarious as you can very much tell a child tried to write something EPIC! and exciting. It looks like shit and sounds like shit (some music is from other games and poorly used). Occasionally a room is fun to figure out though, a few neat little ideas in there. I'll probably finish it, there's a constant wonder what the game will do next level but dying a few rooms/hits into a level/boss is an instant quit so I am going very slow. Definitely worth the asking price :lol:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The goal of having each level feel different is definitely achieved, usually by giving you a new item (often replacing an old one) to play with. Some levels are interesting but I find that progress is quite boring. I usually lose a good deal of health the first time I play through a room while I'm working out what needs to be done to get ahead, next room in I die. Back to the start, breeze through first room, low health from working out next room, die in third room. Breeze through 2 rooms, work out etc. So I end up mindlessly playing through shit that is now boring, to get to the interesting part. I did play on hard off the bat though, and perhaps that is lowering the amount of save points in the level.

The boss fights also sometimes suffer from the same problem. Like the one I'm on now, I learned what to do to damage it, that worked for two hits, now something different to damage it! Game Over a few times until I get the third hit, now it's a new thing again, then again. It's very repetitive, especially as it effectively has a 'vulnerable time', so it feels like waiting around until I can get to the bit I actually want to play. I guess they are just too long.

Ah, the "minefield" approach to game design. Quite a lot of games did this back in the 80s and well into the 90s. Fortunately it's been mostly abandoned by all sane developers because NOBODY likes this. Nowadays I only see this in user-made content on the amateur level.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It can be fun though. The two that come to mind for me are castlevania and some megaman (it was on gameboy, but looking it up I'm not sure exactly which one. They're all kind of similar so meh). Even when you die or run out of lives and return to the start of the level/checkpoint, moving past enemies you've beaten a few times is interesting because it's still an involved experience I guess? It remains fun to attempt to jump/duck/deflect everything they throw even when/if you have their 'pattern' down, because you still need to pay attention as executing requires timing. And there's potentially a minor goal of losing less health this time.

This game doesn't really have that as very few enemies are tough (or platforming for that matter), I mostly lose health from experimenting in a new area/fight-phase. Does this item work on that? Maybe the sword will work now? Can I make that jump? Is this the moment to attack, with what? Getting it wrong often leads to slight damage. When you get the solution, it's now no problem at all but you still need to do it over and over while you experiment with the later parts. I suppose the rapid change in style is the problem here. Often what worked in the last segment has nothing to do with this segment and neither this solution nor the previous will relate to the next. Example from boss fight:
1. First two hits he is vulnerable to a bomb that he drops in from the roof (the bomb takes some time to appear, so the player has probably tried each item to directly hit him and disregarded as useless), the fuse of the bomb needs to be lit, you can do this on the bosses fire breath.
2. Same situation, but boss has stopped fire breath. You can grow a plant with fire on the end by using a seed pouch item on a bit of exposed soil. This is the new way to light the bomb.
3. Fire breath is back and improved, now no bombs are spawning. Boss now does an inhale move. Now the solution is to use a paralysing gas item during inhale.
4. Boss gets a whole new moveset, cycles through three attacks all involving glowing parts of his body. Solution: Hit his tail during its glow/attack phase with sword.

I wonder if he got anyone to play test it.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
NVkxPlh.jpg

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Are there really people who still use the "hot rod" expression? Is it making a come back or something?

inb4 we start getting "multimedia" applications.

Ninjerk

Arcane

He's coming to take another shit on the industry! How will he make it simpler than popamole?!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Might be old, but I just came across this:

PwzRDvx.jpg

"This is the review that got me blacklisted by EA. Some shitbag executive wanted me fired." - Steve Hogarty

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom