Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Cadmus

Arcane
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/20/league-of-legends-scholarship/

“Although eSports have long been a part of the culture of gaming, competitions have seen a large surge in popularity in recent years. Robert Morris University recognizes the value and legitimacy of eSports and is excited to add eSports to its already rich athletic program.”

“Robert Morris University is in the process of recruiting students for the first year of competition, beginning with the fall quarter in September, 2014. RMU will join the Collegiate Star League, made up of 103 institutions of higher learning and compete against other universities including Arizona State, George Washington, and Harvard. Significantly, Robert Morris University is among the first in the nation to offer substantial scholarships for members of the first RMU Varsity eSport League of Legends team. Qualified gamers can earn scholarships of up to 50% tuition and 50% room and board.”
So computer games are considered to be athletics now. Huh.

It's also interesting to see how eSports is synonymous with League of Legends, as if Starcraft and competitive fighting games don't exist.
I kinda had the idea that fighting games aren't played by pimple faced children so they don't get so much of the "BUT MOOOM, IT'S NOT ONLY A GAAME, I'M IMPROVING MY SKILLZ WITH E-FRIENDS, JEEZ MOOM" crowd. Or no??

Luzur

Good Sir
Watches cool vid

Sees comment:

fucking.png

:hmmm:

i feel the same though.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/20/league-of-legends-scholarship/

“Although eSports have long been a part of the culture of gaming, competitions have seen a large surge in popularity in recent years. Robert Morris University recognizes the value and legitimacy of eSports and is excited to add eSports to its already rich athletic program.”

“Robert Morris University is in the process of recruiting students for the first year of competition, beginning with the fall quarter in September, 2014. RMU will join the Collegiate Star League, made up of 103 institutions of higher learning and compete against other universities including Arizona State, George Washington, and Harvard. Significantly, Robert Morris University is among the first in the nation to offer substantial scholarships for members of the first RMU Varsity eSport League of Legends team. Qualified gamers can earn scholarships of up to 50% tuition and 50% room and board.”
So computer games are considered to be athletics now. Huh.

It's also interesting to see how eSports is synonymous with League of Legends, as if Starcraft and competitive fighting games don't exist.
I kinda had the idea that fighting games aren't played by pimple faced children so they don't get so much of the "BUT MOOOM, IT'S NOT ONLY A GAAME, I'M IMPROVING MY SKILLZ WITH E-FRIENDS, JEEZ MOOM" crowd. Or no??
most of the competitive fighting game crowd I've seen have been chill black guys who love drinking beer and shouting obsceneties at the screen and it really upsets the japs who take it seriously and scares the fuck out of the pasty white nerds. it owns

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I remember someone writing a fairly lengthy reason as to why children love to watch PewDiePie; it's basically because he's the adult they all want to be: his job is to play video games as much as he wants; he can yell and scream as much as he wants without worrying about his mom coming in and threatening to ground him; he's laid back and acts just like they do, and most of all; he's their 'bro'. He's basically the Peter Pan of the LP community.
Still I can't fathom Pewder Pan's massive fanbase. He's not funny. His videos aren't informative nor educational. He can't do intelligent/subtle humor but he also fails at retarded/cartoony over the top humor as well. Given that he's actually a let's player, you'd think he'd have less viewers than people who actually produce scripted and edited gaming videos that are actually funny every now and then (guys like JonTron, Spoony, even AVGN who used to be the most popular online gaming figure), since bottom of the barrel lowest common denominator dumbfucks aren't known for having very long attention spans. Video reviews don't have that problem since they cut away all the boring parts to maximize the entertainment/informational value. I don't get video let's plays in general, I doubt any one is so quick witted, verbal and intelligent that they can constantly provide funny commentary through out an entire playthrough of a game. Codex/LP Archive style picture LP's are a different story.

Oh and PewDiePie is not a native english speaker, you'd think that would mean less American fans.

Drew

Savant
Still I can't fathom Pewder Pan's massive fanbase. He's not funny. His videos aren't informative nor educational. He can't do intelligent/subtle humor but he also fails at retarded/cartoony over the top humor as well. Given that he's actually a let's player, you'd think he'd have less viewers than people who actually produce scripted and edited gaming videos that are actually funny every now and then (guys like JonTron, Spoony, even AVGN who used to be the most popular online gaming figure), since bottom of the barrel lowest common denominator dumbfucks aren't known for having very long attention spans. Video reviews don't have that problem since they cut away all the boring parts to maximize the entertainment/informational value. I don't get video let's plays in general, I doubt any one is so quick witted, verbal and intelligent that they can constantly provide funny commentary through out an entire playthrough of a game. Codex/LP Archive style picture LP's are a different story.

Oh and PewDiePie is not a native english speaker, you'd think that would mean less American fans.

Logic, how does it work?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Morons like stupid shit, but there are 10 million other guys like him out there so what makes him stand out? He isn't insightful nor funny, he has no personality traits that put him above his competition. Any one of those 10 million guys like him could replace him and nothing of value would be lost. In fact many of the less popular guys could do his job much better than he does. So again I've got to ask, how does an obnoxious faggot like him become the most popular guy on youtube by playing games? What's so entertaining about watching a guy who films his face while playing games and saying absolutely nothing interesting or funny?

Turjan

Arcane
Morons like stupid shit, but there are 10 million other guys like him out there...
I don't think so.

He's good-looking, whether you find him funny or not, he manages to project his over-bubbling good mood, and many English speakers I know find Scandinavian accents cute. The rest doesn't matter. If people bought games for contents, the gaming market would look different. Similar logics work here.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I remember someone writing a fairly lengthy reason as to why children love to watch PewDiePie; it's basically because he's the adult they all want to be: his job is to play video games as much as he wants; he can yell and scream as much as he wants without worrying about his mom coming in and threatening to ground him; he's laid back and acts just like they do, and most of all; he's their 'bro'. He's basically the Peter Pan of the LP community.

I don't think you understand what "children audience" means.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The secret to YouTube success is this:

Be a cool-looking guy with good hair who is handsome in a sexually non-threatening way, but who is also awkward and nerdy and bouncy JUST LIKE YOU. Become your viewers' imaginary best friend from school or cool older brother, who could have gone places and become an adult, but instead stayed loyal to his geeky ways so he could remain friends with you. For female viewers it's a kind of soft crush, for male viewers it's bromance.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
So I took a minute to look at the new stuff they added in the latest TF2 update.

Among other things, the Engineer got these:

Backpack_Level_Three_Chin.png

Backpack_Egghead%27s_Overalls.png

Backpack_Lonesome_Loafers.png

Neckbeard Engineer, anyone?

All he needs is a fedora that can be tipped an-
Backpack_Tipped_Lid.png

:what:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The secret to YouTube success is this:

Be a cool-looking guy with good hair who is handsome in a sexually non-threatening way, but who is also awkward and nerdy and bouncy JUST LIKE YOU. Become your viewers' imaginary best friend from school or cool older brother, who could have gone places and become an adult, but instead stayed loyal to his geeky ways so he could remain friends with you. For female viewers it's a kind of soft crush, for male viewers it's bromance.
That's pretty much the point this all leads back to, and one of the reasons why you see so many people viciously defending him: to them, he's not just a YouTube personality; he's their 'bro'.

DreadMessiah

Liturgist
holy shit... If people think he is good looking...lel. Seriously am shocked that anyone likes that stupid shit. Oh wait, nope, I get it.

Seriously humanity thanks for all the laughs! YOU FUCKING MORONS...

7/10

Learned
Did TF2 get any actual content since that robot co-op thingy or do they just keep adding new crap to all the crap that was already there?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom