Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Lemming42

Arcane
No, the fact that Braid's a piece of shit makes Braid a piece of shit.

Struggling through endless tedious puzzles

Say what you will about Braid, but the puzzle design was very good. Do you like puzzle games? Did you go into the game already hating it because durr hipsters?

Yeah, I like puzzle games. I don't remember Braid's being especially thoughtful, and I remember many levels where your reflexes were more important than thinking the puzzle over (the usual one being "REVERSE TIME TO OPEN A DOOR THEN RUN AT SONIC THE HEDGEHOG SPEEDS TO GET THROUGH BEFORE IT CLOSES!!!").

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lemming42 Talk is cheap. Point us at a puzzle-platformer that's more "thoughtful" than Braid.

Personally I had less problems with "reflexes" in Braid than I had in Stealth Bastard, another excellent puzzle platformer.

I mean, come on, you can rewind and correct your course. That pretty much eliminates all demand for "reflexes". So I actually don't know how what you're saying makes any sense.

Lemming42

Arcane
LIMBO had some interesting ideas, I was playing a game called The Swapper recently that has some nice puzzles, most parts of the Oddworld games and of course there's about 900 billion flash puzzle-platformers on the internet that are worth playing. FEZ is good too, Phil Fish aside.

Aside from puzzle-platformers, MYST, Portal, Lemmings, World Of Goo are all good, and depending on how far you stretch the definition of "puzzle", throw L.A Noire in there.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Lemming42 I don't know if you saw my edited post.

And yeah, I've played LIMBO. The Another World-esque first half is great, but then it turns into kind of a slog. Overall I'd rate it as less interesting than Braid, which remains consistent and doesn't stop introducing cool new mechanics.

Lemming42

Arcane
Lemming42
I mean, come on, you can rewind and correct your course. That pretty much eliminates all demand for "reflexes". So I actually don't know how what you're saying makes any sense.

I remember a few doors that close after a certain amount of time, forcing you to do a Half-Life-esque "run through the door before it closes" thing, and every other level had those cannons that shoot flaming turds or whatever at you, although admittedly they were used in puzzles a few times so at least they were occasionally more than just a platforming obstacle.

You can reverse time to retry the obstacle, but the "puzzle" in those cases is still a platforming reflex test and not the ultra-advanced godlike puzzles that critics praised Braid as having.

Lemming42 I don't know if you saw my edited post.

And yeah, I've played LIMBO. The Another World-esque first half is great, but then it turns into kind of a slog. Overall I'd rate it as less interesting than Braid, which remains consistent and doesn't stop introducing cool new mechanics.

It's been ages since I played LIMBO but I remember the mine tunnels and industrial rooftops of the second half being some of the best parts of the game, even if most of the puzzles were recycled edits of puzzles from the first half.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
You can reverse time to retry the obstacle, but the "puzzle" in those cases is still a platforming reflex test and not the ultra-advanced godlike puzzles that critics praised Braid as having.

Man, fuck the critics.

It's a platformer, of course it's going to have platforming stuff. Still seems like a weird complaint to me.

It's been ages since I played LIMBO but I remember the mine tunnels and industrial rooftops of the second half being some of the best parts of the game, even if most of the puzzles were recycled edits of puzzles from the first half.

I guess we'll have to disagree on that, then.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Lemming42 Talk is cheap. Point us at a puzzle-platformer that's more "thoughtful" than Braid.
I liked Braid, but I had problems with it starting about halfway through. The puzzles required immense precision, and imho the controls weren't very supportive of that. I remember one point where I just got so fucking angry at it that I started slamming my fists into my desk because I had to restart all the time because I was getting off a ladder just slightly the wrong way, or something.

To answer your post, though, Vessel is the king of puzzle platformers. The systems it uses are so unbelievably fun to explore, and the puzzles always introduce something new.

The Swapper is also quite nice, though it sort of quits while it's ahead. What it has is great, but it's about half the length of Braid or a third of Vessel. There were a lot of opportunities for it to try more and more new things.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
How did the Germans that fancy technology in the new Wolfenstein game?
cjANW3a.png

They stole it from God's Chosen People of course, silly goyim.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Assassin's Creed is probably one of the easiest game ever, in the combat system department. I remember playing the sequel for the first time and no matter how many enemies I had to defeat, I've always had an upper hand. The best thing about it was great views and historical buildings which we see during the auto parkour.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I remember playing Assassin's Creed 2 and marvelling at the fairly diverse range of knives that you'd never use, swords that you'd never use, and a whole plethora of gadgets that you'd never use because the dual hidden blades were a guaranteed one-hit kill once you landed an extremely easy to master counter attack.

Made me wonder why they even bothered.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Assassin's Creed is probably one of the easiest game ever, in the combat system department. I remember playing the sequel for the first time and no matter how many enemies I had to defeat, I've always had an upper hand. The best thing about it was great views and historical buildings which we see during the auto parkour.

The only challenge in the series is the "stealth" following missions, which not coincidentally are the ones most reviewers bitch about being annoying.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
That's because they are annoying as fuck and are completely overdone.

They are kind of annoying, but they're also the only real video game part of any of the games. Which I guess says a lot about the team making them? I don't know.

Cazzeris

IGN Top 100 Games of a Generation

http://www.ign.com/top/games-of-a-generation

#40->Oblivion

Prior to Oblivion, the Elder Scrolls series had been something of a secret handshake among RPG players. But when Oblivion dropped four months into the HD Era of consoles, it caught on like an area effect spell and crowned the franchise as the biggest and best RPG series in the world. Oblivion was a medieval fantasy come to life, allowing you to go anywhere, do anything, and discover entire towns and dungeons. Its first-person perspective truly brought you into the world of Cyrodiil, and it could be played for hundreds of hours without finding everything its incredible world had to offer. Skyrim was arguably a better game, mechanically, but Oblivion is far more significant.

The-Elder-Scrolls-IV-Oblivion-Vampire-Eye.jpg

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ah yes, let's celebrate the death of the cRPG. No longer was it a niche genre with focus on some mix of character progression, storytelling, exploration, and player choices, now it was about putting stat systems into a first person shooter with cutscenes in the hopes of reaching a wider audience. Thanks so much, Bethesda.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Looks like someone seeking the light finally found it. His eyebrows and lips will help him during the dungeon crawling parts.

The only challenge in the series is the "stealth" following missions, which not coincidentally are the ones most reviewers bitch about being annoying.

I don't remember complaining about the difficulty of the game even once. The stealth mission could be failed at the first time but the second and the next one ? It's just the same thing over and over again, with a little more obstacles and time to complete. Overall the game had a good amount of side missions, but in the next part Ubisoft went full retardo and that was too much for me. Too much of the same thing can be really boring.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They're not wrong, Oblivion was incredibly significant for bringing that style of game to massive mainstream console success. It's just that it still sucked, and mainstreaming the genre sucks.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom