Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
A blast from the past.

Emil Pagliarulo, Fallout 3 LEAD DESIGNER, has boldly stated that Fallout was actually a real-time rpg in this interview:

Fallout wasn't a turn-based strategy game...it wasn't a turn-based RPG for that matter. It was real-time RPG with turn-based combat. So capturing the spirit of Fallout really has nothing to do with where you put your camera. It has nothing to do with your engine. It has everything to do with the way you approach the setting, the characters, the ironic humor, that sort of thing.
Fallout 3 is really strongly character driven, and we really concentrate on the relationship between the player character and his/her father, voiced by Liam Neeson. Dad has raised you in Vault 101 your whole life, and then one day, he takes off. He leaves the vault. Nobody has ever done that. Why did he leave? Where did he go? So you leave the vault in search of your father.
There was never any question that Fallout 3 would first/third-person, fully 3D and interactive. For the first time, we're allowing Fallout players to fully enter into the universe they love so much. It's what we do best, and we're immensely proud of that fact.Emil is such a great addition to the Fallout team.

What’s the whole deal with rabid Fallout fanboys desperately worried that Fallout 3 is not going to be a proper RPG?

Pete Hines: Well, at its core Fallout 3 is definitely a role-playing game. If you are of the opinion that any Fallout RPG has to be exactly like the games that came out in 1997 and 1998 down to every feature and detail, that’s definitely not the game we are making. We are trying to make a true successor in the Fallout franchise, something that is a true role-playing game that immerses you in this world, and hopefully brings out the best of what that series is about – which is great tone and setting and themes and characters and player choice… You know, it’s a really interesting, special role-playing system.

If folks are interested in a new Fallout game (as opposed to being slavishly interested in a specific list of demands relating to Fallout or Fallout2); or [they] are just interested in role-playing in general but may not have played the original games; or they are just looking for the next big RPG or the next big RPG coming from Bethesda… we certainly hope all of those folks are interested in what we are up to with Fallout 3.

:balance:

It has nothing to do with your engine

:lol:

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fallout 3 is really strongly character driven

I remember such great characters in Fallout 3. Like the mercenary you hire in Megaton, or the mercenary ghoul you hire in Underworld, or the jaundiced sex slave bodyguard you buy in the Slaver town. They were all so memorable and loveable.

Cassidy

Arcane
The average loverslab mod is more strongly character driven than Oblivion with Guns.

What exactly is being driven and through which character, whether it is consensual or not, that is not relevant for this argument.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
The average loverslab mod is more strongly character driven than Oblivion with Guns.

What exactly is being driven and through which character, whether it is consensual or not, that is not relevant for this argument.

Well, they're certainly more interesting, the mods that is.

I wonder how much money Bethesda gets from people who only buy their games so that they can roleplay as a Khajiit Bandit's dickslave for 80 real-time hours.

...Not that I know from experience...

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
"Fallout wasn't a turn-based strategy game...it wasn't a turn-based RPG for that matter. It was real-time RPG with turn-based combat. So capturing the spirit of Fallout really has nothing to do with where you put your camera. It has nothing to do with your engine. It has everything to do with the way you approach the setting, the characters, the ironic humor, that sort of thing."

By that same argument no game is a turn based rpg. In general saying that gameplay has nothing to do with the game in question is just a handicapped opinion. HurDUr Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 3 should just be a gem puzzle game as long as they keep the setting and characters :lol::lol:.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Uh but there is such a thing as a fully turn-based RPGs. Most old-school tile-based RPGs, including Wasteland, were like that.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
It doesn't make any sense either way. Fallout 3 could have been "real-time with turn-based combat" too. He's just doing PR bullshitting.. hey Fallout wasn't COMPLETELY turn-based so Fallout 3 can be real-time!!! There's no difference! REALLY!

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
The quote does have a point though, Failout 3 would have been shit even if it was isometric and turn based. The story and setting is irredeemably dumb.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This forum keeping talking about Fallout 3 is like some guy always speaking about his bitch of an ex. Get a move on, Codex. There is still life.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
People like to watch sports they grow up with.If you played any sport you most likely will be interested in watching professionals more skilled than you.It's the same with video games ,with time more people will be interested in 10-15 years

I actually prefer playing games myself to watching someone else play them. And while I have zero interest in sports, I do like to occasionally kick around a ball with pals.
Watching other people play sports "professionally" is just boring as fuck to me, there's nothing interesting about it at all.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
People like to watch sports they grow up with.If you played any sport you most likely will be interested in watching professionals more skilled than you.It's the same with video games ,with time more people will be interested in 10-15 years

I actually prefer playing games myself to watching someone else play them. And while I have zero interest in sports, I do like to occasionally kick around a ball with pals.
Watching other people play sports "professionally" is just boring as fuck to me, there's nothing interesting about it at all.
Exactly. I also find exceptionally ironic that there is a large sub sect of "fans" that are themselves overweight unfit retards who scream advice at supposedly the most talented individuals performing said sport.

neeerds.jpg

I find it hard to believe someone would have absolutely zero interest in a group of skilled people testing their abilities against each other, it's an inherently interesting subject. Something must be wrong with your Brians.

Ninjerk

Arcane
If you know even the most basic thing about fighting games, that 2004 Eve game is pretty awesome.

If you know even the most basic thing about fighting games, that 2004 Eve game is pretty awesome.

Daigo being steamrolled after trying to show off? Yes, that pleases me greatly.

--

I was reading up on some wrestling games and discovered this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_WrestleMania_XIX

In Revenge Mode, a player can select any superstar on the roster (except for Stephanie and Vince McMahon) or a created superstar. The story begins with the player being dragged out of an arena by security guards and being literally tossed on the street. Later, the player encounters Stephanie McMahon. Stephanie notices that the player wants revenge on Vince McMahon for firing them, and the player and Stephanie devise a plan: to ruin Mr. McMahon's flagship pay-per-view: WrestleMania. To do this, Stephanie sends you to various locations and you must assault the various characters you encounter in each location, destroy WWE property, including blowing up an under construction skyscraper, crashing a WWE barge, wrecking the cars in a WWE parking lot, and so on. In the process, you also kill a multitude of security guards and WWE personnel who attack you with wrestling moves by throwing them into moving traffic, off the top of the skyscraper, and off the edge of the barge into the water below, eventually going on to ruin WrestleMania XIX.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane

Daigo being steamrolled after trying to show off? Yes, that pleases me greatly.

--

I was reading up on some wrestling games and discovered this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_WrestleMania_XIX

In Revenge Mode, a player can select any superstar on the roster (except for Stephanie and Vince McMahon) or a created superstar. The story begins with the player being dragged out of an arena by security guards and being literally tossed on the street. Later, the player encounters Stephanie McMahon. Stephanie notices that the player wants revenge on Vince McMahon for firing them, and the player and Stephanie devise a plan: to ruin Mr. McMahon's flagship pay-per-view: WrestleMania. To do this, Stephanie sends you to various locations and you must assault the various characters you encounter in each location, destroy WWE property, including blowing up an under construction skyscraper, crashing a WWE barge, wrecking the cars in a WWE parking lot, and so on. In the process, you also kill a multitude of security guards and WWE personnel who attack you with wrestling moves by throwing them into moving traffic, off the top of the skyscraper, and off the edge of the barge into the water below, eventually going on to ruin WrestleMania XIX.

Now that's what how you do revenge--mass murder style.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
So the Relic fall into hands of Sega and uhm...

http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs...t&cs=9myaVfwJ&page=Job Description&j=oqafYfwx

What you will be doing Ramp up and perform due diligence on an existing live MMO project in development in Japan, embedded with the live team
Gain full understanding of the game and code architecture, content authoring pipelines, build and deployment process, engineering process, and current code status Establish working relationships with key members of Japanese development team

What you should have

5+ years’ engineering experience from PC client/server based MMO development
Ability to spend extended (3+ months) periods of time on-site in Tokyo
Ideally fluent in Japanese and English languages

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
MMO? Dear god, Sega willl be bankrupt soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom