Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
YouTube is going overboard, and being more obnoxious with their content id claims, Joe is right about that. I don't have any sympathy for AJ, but there are plenty of hobbyists (LPers for example) out there who make videos for fun, and also get affected by this. Often it's because of in-game music, which is pretty rediculous. It's not in the same league as putting videos on YT of complete CDs.

Oesophagus

Arcane
I don't have any sympathy for AJ, but there are plenty of hobbyists (LPers for example) out there who make videos for fun, and also get affected by this.

You can still watch the videos, but you can't earn money off them, so if you're doing this for fun, how does it affect you? Nintendo are dicks so they'll take down your LPs, but a lot of publishers won't

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron
I don't have any sympathy for AJ, but there are plenty of hobbyists (LPers for example) out there who make videos for fun, and also get affected by this.

You can still watch the videos, but you can't earn money off them, so if you're doing this for fun, how does it affect you? Nintendo are dicks so they'll take down your LPs, but a lot of publishers won't

The videos get flagged, with a request to take them down under threat of shutting down the channel or even further steps. I have heard a few LPers talk about it, and this was because of Lps of games like Civ4.

Oesophagus

Arcane
The videos get flagged, with a request to take them down under threat of shutting down the channel or even further steps. I have heard a few LPers talk about it, and this was because of Lps of games like Civ4.

As I understand it, a video being flagged doesn't mean a takedown request, it's just that it's under review during which you can't monetize it. That's what the major butthurt seems to be about

Delterius

Arcane

He he, they linked to JarlFrank's very first post on the Codex. How young and innocent he sounded then.

Oh lol. Well, I still was young and naive back then, and not half as jaded as nowadays.

This is quite interesting.

Jarl Frank - 2007

I've been on the Elder Scrolls forums for quite some time (...) creting a thread there which compares Oblivion to Dark Messiah of Might and Magic... in Roleplaying terms!

[I'm the evil pillow thrower mwahaha!]

No, I'm not a furry Jasede

Cheers!
~Qwynn

Jarl Frank - 2013

41BG7OVup%2BL._.jpg

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a refugee from the BSN forums. I feel much more jaded than the average new fag (at least those from when I started lurking this place).

G.O.D

Arcane
Patron

As I understand it, a video being flagged doesn't mean a takedown request, it's just that it's under review during which you can't monetize it. That's what the major butthurt seems to be about

Yeah, it is a bit of a grey area how it exactly works, it's just what I have heard. It seems in most cases it is best to ignore it to avoid takedowns. Those who monetize the vids are still affected either way.

https://www.eff.org/issues/intellectual-property/guide-to-youtube-removals#will-they-sue

When you submit a dispute for a Content ID removal, the copyright owner has three options: (1) let it slide, leaving your video up; (2) sue you; or (3) send a DMCA takedown notice. For copyright owners who object to your video, and want to keep it down, the third path is generally the easiest. By sending a formal DMCA takedown notice to YouTube, the copyright owner can get your video removed again almost immediately, at which point you'll need to decide whether to counter-notice (see below). The takedown notice will also count as a "strike" on your account — after three strikes, YouTube will cancel all of your YouTube accounts and remove all of your videos. This probably explains why DMCA takedown notices are much more common on YouTube than lawsuits against uploaders — they are cheaper and faster for the copyright owner.

To sum up, if your video was removed by the Content ID tool, and you decide to dispute the removal, you will have tweaked the copyright owner's tail. Sometimes the copyright owner will decide that your video wasn't the kind of thing it meant to remove, and just leave the video alone. If, on the other hand, the copyright owner really wants the video to stay down, the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish that is to send a DMCA takedown notice. (Of course, the copyight owner always retains the option of suing you.)

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
if they really loved what they were doing so much they could continue doing it, they don't *need* to monetize their videos after all.
Who the hell needs money for anything, right? Doesn't everybody live in their mommy's basement?

That poor mister Kotick however, he seems like a chap desperatly in need of some advertising bucks.
If people like Angry Joe were smart they would do the youtube thing as a hobby, not an income, and build their name and content to the point where they can then get hired for actual companies doing actual quasi-journalism with an actual paycheck.
So, you're basically suggesting that Angry Joe join IGN? You think that would somehow result in better content?

As if there's something wrong with being self-employed.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I kinda like these new lets play guys, you can follow those you like and ignore the ones you cant stand.

Angry Joe spends alot of time and effort on his videos and I think if he can monetize em via Youtube then he should. And I dont think we would get the same amount or the quality of the content we are used to seeing today if theres no money involved. Better videos=more views=more money. Simple as that.
Some people get lucky, like Pewds, who can take a shit and film it and get 3 million views "cuz he so dreamy" but alot of em work alot to bring quality content for us to see.

And wtf, playing a 15 sec audio that aint yours in a 30 minute video cuts you off all of the ad money and redirects it to the 15 sec audio owner. Fair play bro
I think you can tell now that people will be much more careful with shit they upload in the future.

...aaand fuck TotalBiscuit. Asshole

visions

Arcane
if they really loved what they were doing so much they could continue doing it, they don't *need* to monetize their videos after all.
Who the hell needs money for anything, right? Doesn't everybody live in their mommy's basement?

They could consider learning a real trade and getting an actual job that would produce anything, fucking ANYTHING of value to society (and let's be honest here, cleaning toilets produces more value than making vidyagame reviews for retards on youtube). A novel concept, I know.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So, you're basically suggesting that Angry Joe join IGN? You think that would somehow result in better content?

As if there's something wrong with being self-employed.

Oh FFS, talk about framing an argument in a weird fucking way. The point is job security, making it a career. Youtube uploading is not career, if for no other reason than Youtube terms of service control your life and can ruin you out of nowhere for minor reasons.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Oh FFS, talk about framing an argument in a weird fucking way. The point is job security, making it a career. Youtube uploading is not career, if for no other reason than Youtube terms of service control your life and can ruin you out of nowhere for minor reasons.

And how is that different than any job?

They could consider learning a real trade and getting an actual job that would produce anything, fucking ANYTHING of value to society (and let's be honest here, cleaning toilets produces more value than making vidyagame reviews for retards on youtube). A novel concept, I know.

Whether we think their work is valuable or stable or whatever is beside the point, we're not their parents. The point is that making that stuff takes time and money, resources they could be using in activities that get them more money. The fact I'm doing something for fun doesn't necessarily mean I'll be okay with losing money for doing it.

Dexter

Arcane
Whether we think their work is valuable or stable or whatever is beside the point, we're not their parents. The point is that making that stuff takes time and money, resources they could be using in activities that get them more money. The fact I'm doing something for fun doesn't necessarily mean I'll be okay with losing money for doing it.
The bottom line is it isn’t their prerogative, YouTube isn’t their website and if it was they would be able to decide what they do with the content on it or how they monetize it.

They also aren’t paying YouTube/Google anything for being allowed to use their service since it is free. Google could delete all YouTube videos tomorrow and close the service down and they would all be left staring out the window, it is as simple as that and at this stage doesn’t even have anything to do with the Copyright laws involved but the ToS and the contracts they likely signed to become “partners” and get some money in the first place: http://www.youtube.com/static?template=terms
youtubetos79uyc.png

YouTube could pocket all the Advertisement revenue themselves, or give it all to the publishers, or stop Advertisement altogether but they have decided that it is likely for the best to share with the “content creators” if they follow their specific rules and that is all that has happened. It is their decision and the "content creators" aren't entitled to shit without their consent and cooperation, so they are pretty much wholly dependant on the service and Google as a company and their whims. It's kind of like signing up to a forum in a way. It is a shitty position to put themselves in and they have nearly zero negotiating leverage.

Last edited:

He he, they linked to JarlFrank's very first post on the Codex. How young and innocent he sounded then.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/a-comparison-of-oblivion-and-dark-messiah.16775/

Most amusing thing about that is the projection Jasede was doing.

Wait, you're from the ESF? Let me test a theory.

QUICK!

Who would you rather spend time with, you girlfriend or your large dog?

So you're not zoophile.
Okay, next question for you. Would your girlfriend be more attractive to you if she was a female bipedal fox? I am just making sure to keep track of what kind of ESFites we get, no offense intended. The choices range from kid (Azzy) to idiot (Azzy) to furry (Azzy). Don't make me start a new category because of you.

No, I don't think so. In fact, it's extremely stupid to attract furries to anything because they will scare the normal people away and are mostly idiots. If I was a developer, I would keep far away from anything catlike, wolflike, foxlike, or dragonlike and stick to humans.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
There's a shortage of jobs nowadays. Besides that, judging by Spoony, it seems to be a sort of last resort source of income for people who are too mentally ill to keep a job or study consistently.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So media has no value.

Ok.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom