Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In all seriousness (I'm not trolling here), why should people have to bend to societal beauty standards? I'm not saying I'm immune to that stuff either - I've been waxing my chest and back since I was a teenager (used to take 3 hours each time, and would be covered in blood)...yet I still think it's absurd that women should feel pressured to keep their legs/armpits waxed.

Why would you say that a woman who doesn't keep 'proper body shape' or maintain her body hair in a manner that meets the current beauty standards has a personality flaw? Is it that unthinkable that she might just have different priorities in her life?
Not being fat is an easy thing to do if you're not lacking in willpower. Having little willpower is a personality flaw.

I don't care so much about most body hair on either sex but facial hair is an easy thing to maintain and any man who doesn't shave every day or keep it properly trimmed is too lazy to care about how others see him. That kind of laziness is a personalty flaw.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
And my answer to the question was bascially: Who gives a shit? The whole game is nonsense. You're not replying to them you're replying to me, so don't bring their issues into my issues as if they're the same.

Yeah, I don't see how the game being nonsense makes any difference when discussion the thing that was criticized about it.

In all seriousness (I'm not trolling here), why should people have to bend to societal beauty standards? I'm not saying I'm immune to that stuff either - I've been waxing my chest and back since I was a teenager (used to take 3 hours each time, and would be covered in blood)...yet I still think it's absurd that women should feel pressured to keep their legs/armpits waxed.

You don't need to bend to anything. But if you want to be seen as desirable by most people (and you probably do), you should. Otherwise, there's always monasticism. Or you could search for a guy with a hair fetish.

Repressed Homosexual
http://kotaku.com/the-bittersweet-story-of-francis-youtubes-biggest-vid-1472713524

"I grew up very, very angry," Williams confessed. "Francis is very close to the person that I was for the first 20 years of my life. Even today, a large portion of who I am is very, very angry. Being able to vent that anger and vent that frustration and have a character that does that is lifesaving for me." Williams' anger comes, in part, from a childhood where he suffered physical and emotional abuse from his mother on a daily basis.

"The way I grew up a lot of people knew about what was going on in our home. A lot of people didn't want to believe it. A lot of people stayed in denial. It's a small, coal-mining town—St. Paul, Virginia—so when you show up to school with claw marks on your face, it's pretty fucking obvious what's going on, and they ignored it."

And, yes, Williams says that Francis is a caricature, one with an agenda. "One of the goals that I had when I started this is I wanted to bring people in with Francis by being a shitty, detestable, laughable, fat stereotype of a nerd neckbeard," he revealed. "I wanted people to just fucking hate him. I wanted people to click the next video and hate him again. Click on the next video and hate him again. Then click the next video and see the real me, and just maybe we can change perception a little bit."

"Maybe, just maybe, we can get that 14-year-old kid who picks on the fat kid, who picks on the gay kid, who picks on the weirdo in his class every fucking day, to stop and think. 'Wow, if Francis isn't really Francis, maybe my perception of that kid that I'm beating up and being shitty to everyday is wrong too.'"

The unasked question on everyone's mind is 'well, how does a person get so obese?' "When I was very, very young and going into my early 20s, I didn't give a shit," Williams confessed. "I didn't care how fat I got. I didn't care if I lived or died. I was miserable and I didn't care what happened. Around the age of 30, I started having some real health issues. Sleep apnea. Lymphedema. Hypertension. I started to lose my mobility."

"It finally started to occur to me that this was no longer an issue of quantity of life, It was quality of life. That's when I finally figured out that I was not going to get the death wish I had. That I was going to have to live considerably longer than I had anticipated. I was going to have to start working on the quality of my life. I went into therapy soon after that and started working with my doctors."

Williams credits his wife Desiree with providing much of the inspiration for wanting to turn his life around. "The day I knew I was going to marry her, I knew that I had to get my ass in gear," he said. "If you look at June of 2010, that's when I kicked it up a notch. I poured my blood, sweat and tears into this channel starting on that day—the day she got back on the plane to go back to Michigan. Because I needed to have the security. I needed to have the career. I needed to have the wealth. I needed to make sure that if I was going to have this woman in my life, her life was going to be exemplary. That she would be rewarded for that decision."

Why doesn't this guy understand that people aren't grated by "Francis" due do this "character's" "offensiveness", but due to the "comedian's" sheer stupidity? It's like Insane Clown Posse.

I have a wife! I have a wife! I have a wife! I lost a lot of weight! Yeah I know I'm fat, it's because I didn't give a damn, but thanks to you dear fans! Did I tell you about how much weight and how sanctimonious I am yet?

Here's more videos where I display my John Lennon kind of hippie opinions about things in a care bear demeanor! Am I not sensible?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Show me evidence that attractive characters are what sells Disney films. Show me evidence that people wouldn't go see a Disney film if characters were unpleasant to look at.
princesses.jpg
I remember taking a look at the new Disney's stuff and finding it rather off-putting due to this. I don't take manipulation kindly.

Humans are genetically programmed to look at characteristics like those first and they attract attention to things even subconsciously as well as influence possible decision making (including buying decisions) that could stem from said attraction. If you deny that it has any influence on you whatsoever, it is much more likely to have an influence that you aren’t aware of.
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10508-009-9523-5
http://web.mit.edu/ariely/www/MIT/Papers/Heat_of_Moment.pdf

Personally I’m aware that these kind of things influence my decisions to possibly watch a movie or TV series, buy a product or even play a game although it is by far not the only factor, not sure why some people have to get so defensive about it with the need to state how above it they are.
Yes, it has an influence of making me want to skin them alive for daring to try to manipulate me. I treat anyone who wants to use sex to sell me non-sex (like for example a MMO or RTS game without tasteful rape) as a lying manipulative shit that needs to be stabbed stabbed stabbed with a knife.

Redlands

Arcane
Always amusing when HHR starts complaining about someone, yet half the time you're just wondering why he's complaining about himself.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
No one is going to buy food that tastes like shit no matter how sexy the packaging is.
Machocruz said it, I believe it, that settles it. :lol: Plenty of psychology/marketing reading material will show you that there are cases a human "will buy food that tastes like shit" regardless of packaging. There are also quirks like acquired taste.

Having little willpower is a personality flaw.
That would be part of your ideology's dogma, yes. There is also science.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Crappy shovelware game gets cancelled AFTER its release: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/28/wow-ashes-cricket-2013-cancelled-after-release/

Wow: Ashes Cricket 2013 Cancelled AFTER Release
By John Walker on November 28th, 2013 at 10:14 am.

ashes9.jpg

This might be a first. 505 Games have announced the cancellation of Ashes Cricket 2013 after it’s been released.

The game, a terrible mess that certainly doesn’t function as a cricket simulation, was briefly on sale via Steam, before mysteriously vanishing. We contacted Steam and publishers 505 Games to find out why at the time, but no one seemed to know. And now we do. They’re just giving up. And blaming it on the developers, Trickstar Games. This is extraordinary.

The statement is extraordinary in its frankness, so I’ll reproduce it in full:

“As most people who have followed the project closely can affirm, the development of Ashes Cricket 2013 has been fraught with challenges almost from the outset. The chosen developer, even with their many years of cricket game development experience, was unable to overcome the unexpected challenges that the chosen game engine threw up, even with multiple extensions to the development schedule. At the start of the project, 505 Games received all assurances from the developer that the engine was up to the task of creating a dynamic, cutting-edge cricket game for the modern age across multiple platforms, and unfortunately those assurances were found to be misplaced.

The net result of the challenges we have faced was a game which, despite our best efforts over the course of a 2 year development, couldn’t meet the quality benchmarks of either us, our licensors or our customers. 505 Games’ main priority right now is to protect the Ashes name and that of the ECB and Cricket Australia, and do what we can to recompense the cricket community.

As the licensee and publisher of name for Ashes Cricket 2013, 505 Games would like to apologise publicly and sincerely to our licensors, the ECB and Cricket Australia, and their respective partners/sponsors, who have been nothing but patient and supportive of us throughout the challenges this project has presented, and who, ultimately, we have let down.

Our deepest apologies, however, are reserved for the fans of cricket and cricket games worldwide. 505 Games prides itself on being a safe pair of hands on which gamers of all tastes and denominations can rely to put their best foot forward to create compelling gaming experiences. It is clear that, in this instance, we have fallen way short of our stated aims and failed to deliver. We know that the mitigating factors, as highlighted above, hold little solace to the hordes of excited cricket fans worldwide who had hoped this year to be able to play out their fantasy of playing in the Ashes series.

The people who purchased the game will be contacted very shortly with details of a full refund.”

It doesn’t explain, of course, why the publisher released the game in the state it did. It’s splendid news that they plan to reimburse everyone who wasted money on it, but it really leaves the question of why it was ever possible in the first place. Were 505 hoping it would just get buried in the November rush?

The game is now completely gone from the Steam store, but appears to be preserved in libraries for anyone who bought it, and still runs.

We’d be fascinated to hear from anyone at Trickstar about their side of all this. Clearly 505 are making it very clear they believe the blame lies with the developers, and that always leaves a story to be told. Do get in touch. Meanwhile, wow, we have what must be a first in gaming. A project cancelled after the game’s come out.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It may be the developers that are at fault for making the shitty game, but it's always the published that's responsible for releasing it. Did 505 games (never heard of them before) have no quality assurance, but simply handed the devs the account they could use for uploading it to steam?

You don't need to bend to anything. But if you want to be seen as desirable by most people (and you probably do), you should. Otherwise, there's always monasticism. Or you could search for a guy with a hair fetish.

The point is that people aren't constantly looking to pick up at all times.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
If you believe that the purpose of proper grooming is solely to attract a mate as opposed to making yourself presentable to everyone who can see you then I don't know what to say.

If you go around looking like a stereotypical homeless person then you'll probably be treated like one (disgust, pity, uncomfortable, that sort of thing).

FeelTheRads

Arcane
If you believe that the purpose of proper grooming is solely to attract a mate as opposed to making yourself presentable to everyone who can see you then I don't know what to say.

Women waxing is also to look presentable (or better said not vomit inducing) and yet somehow you have nothing against those who have the disgusting habit of not doing it.

RPS said:
They’re just giving up. And blaming it on the developers, Trickstar Games. This is extraordinary.

The statement is extraordinary in its frankness, so I’ll reproduce it in full:

So clarity and frankness are now extraordinary? "Why is this statement not littered with empty phrases and marketspeak? I feel insulted in my journalistic integrity!!" What?

Men don't need to look presentable unless they absolutely have to. Unlike a hairy woman, men aren't despised for an unkempt beard, it may even make you look sexier.

You could say it's a...privilege.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Women waxing is also to look presentable (or better said not vomit inducing) and yet somehow you have nothing against those who have the disgusting habit of not doing it.
Doesn't bother me. What weird values you have. Many men before the early 20th century would look at you strangely.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
not sure why anyone cared about these games except for brown ppl from india n pakistan

RPGMaster

Savant
To be fair it must be extremely difficult to make a good game based on the most boring sport on earth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom