Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
But the rule is retarded. If the SJW content is bothering someone, they can just post something they consider more interesting.

-

FemShep, interpreted here by Deviantartist Kaeriah, became a symbolic champion of female lead characters in video games.

Funny, since she's just reskinned Male Shepard.

VIKXIx.jpg

SJW retardation is mainstream retardation. Can't mix it with old skool retardation. Or the mods are just autistic. Take your pic.

About reskinned shep, well you can't command a ship with military discipline by being a girly feminine girl.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
About reskinned shep, well you can't command a ship with military discipline by being a girly feminine girl.

9d1.gif
What the fuck is that language on the mike, looks Russian, but Russian would never allow military commanders to be women. Must be one of those barbaric places nearby, Serbia or something.

Joined, April 18 2013. Soon you shall see, more than you could want. It shall be glorious.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Big steam sale going on (in before massive butthurt)
Indie Dev Blogger Edition: Round 2

First we had Jeff Vogel, now some dude called "Cliff Harris".

He is the guy behind the "Democracy" series of political sims.

From his blog:
We need to talk about unplayed games

You hear the comment quite often ‘I’m not buying anything till I clear my backlog’ and ‘I bought that game then realized I already owned it’ and ‘I bought the first one but didn’t play it, might pick this up…’

This is nuts. Gamers are being played, played like a fucking piano, every time you see the word SALE. This is a big psychology trick that is being used to siphon money from gamers, and it’s a bad thing, and if we can (and I think we probably can’t) we should stop it. Here is why I think using deep discounting to sell games to non-players is bad:

• It kills off game launches. That thing where everyone plays the latest game doesn’t happen so much now. The game is ignored until the first 50% or 75% off sale. You don’t get that ‘water cooler moment’ where everyone talks about a game. That means some multiplayer games launch without the proper size of players, and the company isn’t making enough to retain support staff to patch and improve the game at launch.
  • It’s a step away from selling based on quality. When a game is in a one-day 75% off sale, how much research do you do before buying? Did you watch a lets play? the trailer? did you read any reviews? how many? Admit it, you have bought a game based on the name, a logo and a screenshot because it was under $5 haven’t you? If so, this is a problem. We are rewarding games with cool names & screenshots over actual quality.
  • We are handing power to people who run sales. If anyone can sell $50,000 in a day with any game just by being on the front page of a sale, then that makes the people who manage the sale webpage the kingmakers. Is that right? is it fair? is it an optimum maximization of everyone’s satisfaction and enjoyment? Or is it more likely making hits out of games who are well known (or liked) by the owners of the big portals?
  • We devalue games. We expect games to be $5. We don’t ‘invest’ money in them, so we give up and discard them at the first time we lose, or when we get confused or stuck. Some games are complex, tricky, hard to master, take a while to get to the point at which it all makes sense. We are increasingly likely to not bother with complex games, if we paid $5, we want something quick and disposable.
  • We don’t play beyond the first 10%. There is not a single game in my steam collection I’ve finished. Not ONE. And I almost always buy full price. There are many games I’ve played for under 30 minutes, some for under 10 minutes. They may have wonderful endings, who cares? I have another X games sat there I can experience the opening level of instead. And yet… gamers insist on 50 hours of gameplay. Cue 49 hours of back-tracking and filler, because game devs KNOW that 90%+ of buyers will never see the game ending anyway…
I’m not sure there is anything we can do about it. Discounts work. Sales work. There is some mileage in building a reputation for maintaining high prices for longer, I think I’ve built that up to some extent. D3 has never been lower than 50% since release back in October, with no immediate plans to re-do that 50% off or go lower. This is quite rare though. I got called a ‘fascist who hates gamers’ one month after release because the game was not on sale. *sigh*.

I understand that varied price points to suit different gamers is good, I understand the reasons for sales being economically efficient ways to maximize global utility. But this implies utility is derived from the product. We are no longer selling products, we are selling discounts. The endorphin rush is now from getting a bargain, not the fun of actually *playing* the game. This is bad.

Am I right? Am I wrong. TELL ME :D
Link: http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/2014/03/20/we-need-to-talk-about-unplayed-games/

Last edited:

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
After a casual glance at my steam library, I've put plenty of time into all the games I've bought except DXHR (which I couldn't play when I bought it because my laptop was too shit) and the Divinity games (which I just haven't gotten around to).

Plus there's this:
l4d2.png

Bought it on sale for $5. I think I got my money's worth.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We don’t play beyond the first 10%. There is not a single game in my steam collection I’ve finished.
Why the fuck would you buy a game not finish it unless it is bad game? Do people have so much money these days that they can buy loads of shit these days they know they will never use?
Besides, he says that he always buy at full price, so he negate the whole "sales are the issue" point himself.

This is nuts. Gamers are being played, played like a fucking piano, every time you see the word SALE. This is a big psychology trick that is being used to siphon money from gamers, and it’s a bad thing, and if we can (and I think we probably can’t) we should stop it. Here is why I think using deep discounting to sell games to non-players is bad

If only there was some sort of great leader to protect us from ourselves.

It kills off game launches. That thing where everyone plays the latest game doesn’t happen so much now. The game is ignored until the first 50% or 75% off sale. You don’t get that ‘water cooler moment’ where everyone talks about a game. That means some multiplayer games launch without the proper size of players, and the company isn’t making enough to retain support staff to patch and improve the game at launch.

Not really, most people don't wait for three months to buy the game, because they want that "water cooler moment". People value entertainment over money, this is why videogames still exist in the first place. People you see on the message board telling each other to wait don't matter, they're a minority.

It’s a step away from selling based on quality. When a game is in a one-day 75% off sale, how much research do you do before buying? Did you watch a lets play? the trailer? did you read any reviews? how many? Admit it, you have bought a game based on the name, a logo and a screenshot because it was under $5 haven’t you? If so, this is a problem. We are rewarding games with cool names & screenshots over actual quality.

Rewarding...with five bucks. Okay.

We are handing power to people who run sales. If anyone can sell $50,000 in a day with any game just by being on the front page of a sale, then that makes the people who manage the sale webpage the kingmakers. Is that right? is it fair? is it an optimum maximization of everyone’s satisfaction and enjoyment? Or is it more likely making hits out of games who are well known (or liked) by the owners of the big portals?

They're the ones selling the games, they can do whatever promotion they want.

We devalue games. We expect games to be $5. We don’t ‘invest’ money in them, so we give up and discard them at the first time we lose, or when we get confused or stuck. Some games are complex, tricky, hard to master, take a while to get to the point at which it all makes sense. We are increasingly likely to not bother with complex games, if we paid $5, we want something quick and disposable.

If you need to pay more to enjoy your hobby, maybe you should rethink your life choices.

We don’t play beyond the first 10%. There is not a single game in my steam collection I’ve finished. Not ONE. And I almost always buy full price. There are many games I’ve played for under 30 minutes, some for under 10 minutes. They may have wonderful endings, who cares? I have another X games sat there I can experience the opening level of instead. And yet… gamers insist on 50 hours of gameplay. Cue 49 hours of back-tracking and filler, because game devs KNOW that 90%+ of buyers will never see the game ending anyway…

See above. Are you a child? (edit: and filler content exists because of "bang for my buck" retards like you who need a thousand years of playing time to justify the purchase because you expect to pay piles of money for a game)

1/10, would not read again and now I am more likely to commit suicide.

Speaking of Jeff vogel and the "devalue" thing - the whole Geneforge Saga was on a 80% sale last week. LULZ

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We don’t play beyond the first 10%. There is not a single game in my steam collection I’ve finished.

Why the fuck would you buy a game not finish it unless it is bad game? Do people have so much money these days that they can buy loads of shit these days they know they will never use?
GabeN provides.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone had estimates of how much money shit AAA games make after being put at a $10-15 price point simply because they look slick and have an advertising budget. Stuff like thifourf.

Idiots sitting around with hundreds of unplayed steam games are just your usual retarded shopaholics.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
B-but they bought it sales price, so they're not retarded! :(

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Idiots sitting around with hundreds of unplayed steam games are just your usual retarded shopaholics.

I have a GOG collection that I add to for some future gaming marathon.

I don't have a good setup to comfortably play games on presently. It's fine browsing the net and such, but I would have to commit to spending a decent amount of money and effort organising a comfortable gaming area for myself. Add to that I'm doing some courses and have responsibilities palmed off onto me from family members.

Please don't make me feel bad for having a growing library that I'm not ready play yet.

I have a ton of stuff I haven't touched and probably will never touch, but I did it because I wanted to. I see something I like, I can afford it, I buy it. Article guy blames everyone and everything but himself and wants someone to protect him from doing what he wants.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Grim Monk is exactly right here.

??????????

You think I'm agreeing with this guy?

The sole point on which he is partially correct is:
We are no longer selling products, we are selling discounts. The endorphin rush is now from getting a bargain, not the fun of actually *playing* the game. This is bad.

This is sadly happening to some people, as a quick look at the Codex Steam thread will prove.
People buying Confirmed :decline: Garbage and Shovelware just to bump up their Steam Count, or because "OMG SO CHEAP!!!"

But quite frankly it comes down to "people acting like idiots", not "sales/cheap games are bad"...

Hey, I can play your games for you! Add me into your steam family Grim Monk
I be good child, yes?

:troll:
I buy most of my games on GOG or DRM-free Humble Bundles...

P.S. Regarding the Russian Chick.
Stop pulling the dude's leg, she is an internet wide phenomena...
Dreaad
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Poklonskaya

I first saw her over on 4chan...

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
I was good at resisting bargains on shitty games until the advent of the Steam Wallet. Since then I've bought countless games I haven't even started because I didn't have to go through the effort of finding my credit card.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom