Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

It is the best game ever. Fuck, even its name is majestic as hell.

:rpgcodex:

It was made by 3 Ruskies, with apparently a keg of vodka for a budget, and sold for 9,99 potato as bonus to some gaming newspaper (games costed ~130 back then). Do you need moar?

AS1 is the worst one

I checked out AS2. Too much graphicwhoring and unnecessary additions, not enough Bloody Mess multiplied by million with subtlety of sledgehammer, and too big budget.

It is impure.

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
It is the best game ever. Fuck, even its name is majestic as hell.

:rpgcodex:

It was made by 3 Ruskies, with apparently a keg of vodka for a budget, and sold for 9,99 potato as bonus to some gaming newspaper (games costed ~130 back then). Do you need moar?

AS1 is the worst one

I checked out AS2. Too much graphicwhoring and unnecessary additions, not enough Bloody Mess multiplied by million with subtlety of sledgehammer, and too big budget.

It is impure.
If you want monocled meatgrinder, play Cortex Command (+mods - the main game kind of fizzled out compared to what it was planned to be, but it's still more than enough if you're just in for derpy cranage and the mods more than make up for this).
:obviously:

rocketboom.gif

unirapelasertj5.gif

Last edited:

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
If you want monocled meatgrinder, play Cortex Command (+mods - the main game kind of fizzled out

Is there some kind of article anywhere, describing the story of this project? I remember a buddy of mine introducing me to this, like, 6 or 7 years ago, and yeah, back then it looked totally awesome and stuff, so I was kinda surprised to learn later on that it was already released but without much hype or recognition.

DraQ

Arcane
If you want monocled meatgrinder, play Cortex Command (+mods - the main game kind of fizzled out

Is there some kind of article anywhere, describing the story of this project? I remember a buddy of mine introducing me to this, like, 6 or 7 years ago, and yeah, back then it looked totally awesome and stuff, so I was kinda surprised to learn later on that it was already released but without much hype or recognition.
I don't know about articles, but the development and userbase sort of tapered out, it seems. Planned features (storyline campaign mode with different missions and some faction stuff mainly) got scrapped, and 11 years in development seemed to have whittled away much of the interest from the public.

Biggest changes compared to earlier versions is that friendly units (not counting craft) don't collide and don't hit each other with projectiles (they still may with explosions) so the balance is shifted from solo engagement to massed squad fire (it also makes grenades useful) and you don't get to LOL at AI units crushing each other to death while trying to derp over one another and units seem generally sturdier (meh).
Also rockets don't tip over 75% of time when left unattended.

Full version features slightly half-assed campaign mode, where you choose one of tech factions (stuff from other factions is still available, but vastly overpriced), then given limited budget and supply of commanders (brains) you deploy to various sites on the planet and try to hold them, building up bases, repelling assaults and attacking on your own.
It's OK, with factions being pretty distinct and balanced, but there is some easily exploited cheese, like digging around during missions easily outweighing campaign screen income, or the fact that attacking side is generally very vulnerable when duking it out, as you can launch immediate strike at freshly deployed brainbot, or even blow it out of the air while it's still in a rocket/dropship.

Luckily among, still numerous, faction mods (some very good), there are also scenario maps, some actually consisting of in-map implementation of interface to entire new campaign modes, with multiple maps and their own save systems, usually vastly outclassing vanilla campaign.
For example there is something called Unmapped Lands which seems to be vanilla campaign premise on heavy doses of steroids, while Void Wanderers is basically flying around in a (mapped) spaceship with a brain and a squad of remote bodies, deploying away team on various missions from one faction against another, exploring derelicts, getting shot up by berserk drones, digging around for stuff and winning favours and pissing various factions off (usually the latter) to gain access to better tech and eventually better ships, and be hunted down respectively.

The two mods I mentioned can also integrate many faction mods available.

Even derping around in vanilla, against usual derpy AI is pretty addictive, let alone playing such mods.

I have even seen survival horror mods implemented in CC.

Overall, while I'm not sure I'd recommend buying it just for vanilla, it's quite worth it if you plan to mod the crap out of it.

DraQ

Arcane
Oh, BTW I think the worst blow to CC was self inflicted - no longer releasing trial versions with time-capped gameplay sessions towards the end of development cycle is what killed public interest because people - potential buyers - could no longer check out the progress.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some dude who mailed us wants you to vote in his poll thingie:

Hi,

My name's Andrey Shevchenko, I'm the leader of Riot Pixels (http://riotpixels.com).

It would be cool if you could tell your readers about Riot Top 2013 - our Game of the Year poll that we launched on January 1st.

Contrary to all other GOTY polls, we do not pigeon-hole people into making a choice between 3-5 carefully selected games in a category. Our poll has most of the American and European releases of 2013 (almost 1300 video games) arranged in 23 categories.

In each of them, people can choose the best and worst games of the bunch by giving them various amounts of positive or negative points. The poll will be open until January 20th. If at some point anyone realizes that they made a wrong choice, they can go back and change their vote.

Riot Top 2013 is available in English, French, Spanish and Russian languages, as well as some others. I think it is kind of unique and people would love an opportunity to freely vote for the games they actually care about.

Riot Top is not a commercial project, we do not have any ads on it. We're doing it because we love video games.

Here's are the links:
http://en.riotpixels.com/top/2013/
http://es.riotpixels.com/top/2013/
http://fr.riotpixels.com/top/2013/

Thank you!

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
Actually, that guy is quite a name on the russian game journo scene - he's the creator of "game encyclopedia 2500 (or insert a bigger number here)" series (basically, a disc full of game screenshots, brief descriptions, solutions, cheat codes and trainers - considering it was year 1998 and internet was quite a rarity here, that stuff was invaluable; in my 6th grade, I was reading the living crap out of their encyclopedia 3500, drooling over all those cool games that I've yet had to play) and of the site ag.ru.

And this riotpixels is his new site - the story is, they sold ag.ru to some rather big russian entertainment group named kanobu (why? ag was quite profitable so why the fuck they would sell? greed is bad) and for a while, they just worked in the previous regime, until one day the entire old team got kicked out. There was some flamewar here and both sides blamed each other, but, as I don't read ag.ru (or any other gamejourno site, for that matters), I don't know the whole story. So their entire staff started anew and migrated to this.

Still, as their mega-star Nomad the caravan raider praised F3 while taking a huge dump all over New Vegas, I doubt kkkodexians would take kindly to their polls.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They were kicked out because they weren't satisfied with pay (the irony). Also, Nomad gave Dragon Age 2 90+ percent out of 100.
Forums themselves were full of elitist cocks and abusive moderators, and now AG is more like your standard sold out advertising dorito fest with terrible reviews.

Lemming42

Arcane
Cards are selling almost immediately now. If you don't have brain damage and therefore don't care about getting the badge or whatever, you can sell all your cards now and get some money. Like, a really small amount of money, but it's something for nothing.

Lemming42

Arcane
You can also take a bet and try to craft a rare DOTA/ CS/ whatever item that sells for more than the pittance you'll get from the cards. I sold mine and I can at best buy a minor DLC on discount.

I never had a chance at that, since whatever assigns the cards hates me. I only had like 3 different card types over about 15 individual cards.

They all sell for more or less the same value, so to get my badge I sold my three copies of card #5 and bought the remaining.

I crafted a badge to see if I got lucky and got a mediocre DOTA axe that sells for 50 cents. :M I guess I could try again, but I'm tired of seeing the "You can't buy the item because someone else already bought it" message that pops up if you take more than a nanosecond to click the BUY button.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom