Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Souls game ?

Best souls game ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SumDrunkGuy

Demon's Souls was pretty fuckin good...

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yeah, if Bloodborne was available on PC this poll would be very different.
Demon's Souls has more votes than Bloodborne despite similarly being restricted to a single console and despite being the first game in the series (and thus the one that established the reputation of the Souls series and boosted sales for its successors). :M

sullynathan

Arcane
Why is demons souls winning over souls 3, Nioh & bloodborne?

Severance is the lowest for my ranking. The game has some good level design but the worst combat on this list. Stun locking enemies and bosses isn't great.

Dark souls >= Bloodborne > Dark Souls 3 + Dark Souls 2 > Demon's souls >= Severance

I played NiOh, never beat it. It's combat is better than every other game on this list by far.

Demons souls does almost nothing better than the rest of the series. You have to be a fanboy to think otherwise.

The boss fights in DS3 are by far the best of the whole action 3D genre of hitting shit until it dies.
I like dark souls 3 a lot and I know this isn't true.

think the Demon's Souls bosses are "boooooring"

They are and from did nothing wrong by rectifying the problem. "Artorias/flamelurker/Allant" clones are far better than 10 different literal poop monsters.

High Wall of Lothirc + The Undead Settlement in DS3 and No-Man's Wharf + Lost Bastille in DS2 are WAAAAAAY more interesting and diverse level sequences. And those are the "bad" ones in the series
Some of the best levels in the series

and thus the one that established the reputation of the Souls series and boosted sales for its successors
Dark Souls did that not demon's souls

Jezal_k23

It's looking like a certain emulator is on the process of making Demon's Souls very playable for people who had never had a chance before.

Ninjerk

Arcane
sullynathan Why would you "disagree" with Demon's Souls getting a port? I played it for maybe 2 hours 9 years ago and I want to play it again without buying an old PS3 to take up space. You don't have to buy it, faggot.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I want a Demon's Souls port.
I want the fucking servers to be necro'd. :argh: I'm not giving any money to From for the DaS remix, but a DeS remaster - even an obvious cash grab - would be a very tempting bait.
I saw on Twitter that someone is making their own servers for one of these games, but I can't remember if it's DaS or DeS.

Bloodborne is pretty amazing. I've just got to the bit with the baddies that kidnap you in a sack. Very few games make you feel like you're in a nightmare like this one does.

The level design seems better than Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to me, so far. It's set out in a way that feels a lot more like a world that you're intruding into.

sullynathan

Arcane
sullynathan Why would you "disagree" with Demon's Souls getting a port? I played it for maybe 2 hours 9 years ago and I want to play it again without buying an old PS3 to take up space. You don't have to buy it, faggot.
Because Demon's souls sucks and needs some type of overhaul to make it more playable. A full HD 60fps port sounds nice but the game has more problems than that

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I think Demon's Souls could use some improvements, adding in the control fixes and movesfrom later games, replacing dragon god and the storm king with something more involving, etc. But that would need a full on remake and I'm betting there's no way they would preserve the atmosphere of the original, which is arguably the greatest strength of Demon's Souls. I still love the game to death but the sequels definitely improved on the core gameplay.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Because Demon's souls sucks and needs some type of overhaul to make it more playable. A full HD 60fps port sounds nice but the game has more problems than that
I've done a cursory search and found some (possibly not all) of your criticisms. I'm curious what you didn't like about Demon's Souls that wouldn't require actual redesign (e.g. using one weapon throughout the game to beat everything), or, in other words, are the changes you'd be interested in changes that would fundamentally change it from being the game it was for the time it was released in? If that question isn't clear I can provide an example or rephrase it.

Silva

Arcane
Yeah, if Bloodborne was available on PC this poll would be very different.
Demon's Souls has more votes than Bloodborne despite similarly being restricted to a single console and despite being the first game in the series (and thus the one that established the reputation of the Souls series and boosted sales for its successors). :M
BB would rob votes from DS2 and DS3, not DeS.

DeS is great.

sullynathan

Arcane
I've done a cursory search and found some (possibly not all) of your criticisms. I'm curious what you didn't like about Demon's Souls that wouldn't require actual redesign (e.g. using one weapon throughout the game to beat everything), or, in other words, are the changes you'd be interested in changes that would fundamentally change it from being the game it was for the time it was released in? If that question isn't clear I can provide an example or rephrase it.
Certain levels I disliked would need to be completely remade or at least updated so that they weren't so annoying.

People complain about enemies hitting you through walls in later souls games but demon's souls has an entire level where you're constantly being shot at by enemies from the sky that will hit you through walls (shrine of storms).

Things like changing where certain enemies are placed, bullshit glitches and broken world tendency could be fixed without remaking the entire game.

The real problems like balance, the most over powered magic in the series, large list of poo poo monsters and more would need an overhaul for the game.

You can't just give demons souls mechanics from the later games without remaking the enemies & bosses to fit or else the game would be unfair for your enemies.

Jezal_k23

Why do you rate people sheeple for merely mentioning the fact that DeS exists, and is playable on an emulator, whether they have played it or not, and therefore whether they even have an opinion about it or not?

I have not played it, I am stating a fact: it is playable on the emulator. I WILL play it eventually though, to judge for myself how good it is or isn't. I have no opinion about it either way yet...

Ninjerk

Arcane
Certain levels I disliked would need to be completely remade or at least updated so that they weren't so annoying.

People complain about enemies hitting you through walls in later souls games but demon's souls has an entire level where you're constantly being shot at by enemies from the sky that will hit you through walls (shrine of storms).

Things like changing where certain enemies are placed, bullshit glitches and broken world tendency could be fixed without remaking the entire game.

The real problems like balance, the most over powered magic in the series, large list of poo poo monsters and more would need an overhaul for the game.

You can't just give demons souls mechanics from the later games without remaking the enemies & bosses to fit or else the game would be unfair for your enemies.
I see. Well, hopefully they can learn from those mistakes and make a better game on, say, a 2-3 year development cycle. If they're really lucky the next one will become a cult hit and people will want to see the kind of game that informed it.

Jezal_k23

I'm curious what they'll do next since they're one of the few for now who know how to make proper Soulslikes.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'm curious what they'll do next since they're one of the few for now who know how to make proper Soulslikes.
I feel this is such a weird time in gaming history. A few years ago I'd be screaming WOW KILLAR INC, but there's a lot of relatively successful gametypes out there compared to that time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom