Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best SHMUPs (any platform)

So bros and sis's can you give me some recommendations for GOOD SHMUPs?

I only played Tyrian and Raptor. I think Tyrian is better though (graphics, space setting, upgrades etc.).

I would prefer games like Tyrian, with some rpg elements (upgrades, better weapons, ships, armor etc.). But if the game is good, and doesn't have buying upgrades like Tyrian, only collection of them while you play, it's also OK.

I also liked Solar Winds (I know it's more of an action/adventure), but unfortunately after you play shareware version, the full game (i.e. the second part) is too short and too shit. Although I had high expectations. :( Of course, I also played Star Control 2, and it's a classic. But unfortunately, there aren't even clones of Star Control. So I'm not hoping for much there, except if someone kickstarts next Star Control with beautiful pixel graphics and even more content and action/adventure in that universe. Oh I'd give a lot of my possessions to see that. :(

And yes, I know of Space Rangers 2, I also played it and liked it. But nothing on that front to look forward to either. Only HD remakes or some shit like that.

But Solar Winds, SC2 and SR2 aren't really SHMUPs, I only put them here, so you can see what I like, even in SHMUPs (elements from those games, SC2 being the best, than SR2, than Solar Winds, and I consider Tyrian a lot better game than Solar Winds, even Raptor probably).

Now I'm hoping I'll get some good suggestions and that I missed out on a lot of good ones, but I fear not. :D

piydek

Cipher
Amiga was THE platform for SHMUPs.

I particularly liked:

- Battle squadron
- Swiv
- Banshee
- Apidya

circ

Arcane
Do we count side-scrollers?

If so, I like Salamander (arcade), R-type 1 (arcade).

For top-down:

Galaga '88 (arcade, but not really a SHMUP), 1942 (arcade), Terra Cresta (c64), SEUCK (c64), Alpha Mission (arcade), Aero Fighters (arcade).

Haven't tried these new ones with millions of particles and colors like Mushihimesama. All the arcade ones should be playable with MAME.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Jets'n'Guns - PC sidescroller. You collect money and buy weapons, upgrades, ships. It is kinda like Tyrian and Raptor, but imo has better gameplay (I can't really explain why, It just feels better, more satysfying). Oh, and it has a lot of humour and awesome music by Machinae Supremacy.

Einhander - PSX - imo the best flying sidescroller ever. Its japanese, but not one of those 'bullet hell' type of shooters. Also no shitty kawaii stuff, just spaceships and robots

Ikaruga - Dreamcast (you can play with an emulator). Another japanese title. This one is a bit weird. It has an iteresting mechanic centered around switching the colour of your ship between black and white. You absorb bullets that are of the same colour as your ship, while the opposite colour kills you.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
If you're gonna play Gradius or any of its ilk, you HAVE to play Parodius.

Do we count side-scrollers?

If so, I like Salamander (arcade), R-type 1 (arcade).

For top-down:

Galaga '88 (arcade, but not really a SHMUP), 1942 (arcade), Terra Cresta (c64), SEUCK (c64), Alpha Mission (arcade), Aero Fighters (arcade).

Haven't tried these new ones with millions of particles and colors like Mushihimesama. All the arcade ones should be playable with MAME.

Yes, side-scrollers too, if they're good.

Gradius III Arcade. :troll:

Why the troll face?

Gradius III arcade is ridiculously unfair. You need to memorise the entire game to stand a chance and even then it's stupidly hard. And it's too much for the hardware so it runs in slow motion most of the time. It's just really really bad, don't go near it.
My recommendation would be the Raiden Fighters series. There's no shop or anything, but there are loads of planes to choose from so at least there's good variety like in Tyrian. Lots of fun secrets like Tyrian too, and the gameplay is similar instead of being a bullet hell or something. They might be too hard for you though, since they're typical one hit kill arcade games. But they're still fun.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I found most SHMUPS to be too hard or degrading too much into bullet hell. One of my favorites was EXOLON from ZX Spectrum.

There's a decent PC remake of it which is complete. It lost the shiny metallic look, though.

zeitgeist

Magister
Jets'n'Guns - PC sidescroller. You collect money and buy weapons, upgrades, ships. It is kinda like Tyrian
I was about to recommend this too, it's the only thing I've played post-Tyrian that had that many customization options, secrets, etc. It's very Eastern European in a lot of aspects though.

What I don't get is how come there hasn't been a sequel to it? The developers have been making horrible casual games ever since instead.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I've no idea why, but it seems to be a really popular move among indie devs. Make really awesome, incredibly successful game? Move immediately to making shitty iphone games. Starscape 2? Nope, Mr. Robot and assorted half backed side projects. KotC 2? Nope, shitty ass RTS a-go-go! Aquaria 2, or even anything at all? Hell no, disband immediately!

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
I've no idea why, but it seems to be a really popular move among indie devs. Make really awesome, incredibly successful game? Move immediately to making shitty iphone games. Starscape 2? Nope, Mr. Robot and assorted half backed side projects. KotC 2? Nope, shitty ass RTS a-go-go! Aquaria 2, or even anything at all? Hell no, disband immediately!
Artsy fartsy fags don't like sequels.

Anyway, try CAVE games, any CAVE game is good by definition, Dondonpachi 1 and 2, Ketsui, Esprade or Espgaluda. There is also Armed police batrider but its difficult as fuck.

dunno lah

Arcane
Gradius III arcade is ridiculously unfair. You need to memorise the entire game to stand a chance and even then it's stupidly hard. And it's too much for the hardware so it runs in slow motion most of the time. It's just really really bad, don't go near it.
My recommendation would be the Raiden Fighters series. There's no shop or anything, but there are loads of planes to choose from so at least there's good variety like in Tyrian. Lots of fun secrets like Tyrian too, and the gameplay is similar instead of being a bullet hell or something. They might be too hard for you though, since they're typical one hit kill arcade games. But they're still fun.

Whatever man, I still find GIII a better experience than the first two Gradii. The console versions(ps2 and psp) however do have difficulty and wait level settings. I don't know, I just find the game...compelling. I've yet to beat the Fire Planet Stage though, just not super human enough...

I don't know, I just find the game...compelling. I've yet to beat the Fire Planet Stage though, just not super human enough...
Well, good luck. I tried it a little and quit when I saw how much dedication it'd take (even the guy from your video says it reduced him to tears multiple times), but if you're that devoted then good for you. You'll be in a damn exclusive club if you ever do manage to loop it.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
SEGA Saturn is THE platform for SHMUPs. The Megadrive comes a distant second.

Play Batsugun, Radiant Silvergun, Battle Garegga, Donpachi and Dodonpachi. For Megadrive I'd personally recommend "Empire of Steel" a bit of a obscure game but with a great steampunk vibe, zeppelins and all.

Tehdagah

Arcane
Minimonica

minimonica.jpg

Hardest shmup ever.

If anyone wants to give it a try: http://pointdogame.wordpress.com/2008/09/08/minimonica-download-2/

Gozma

Arcane
UN Squadron is great for having the core gameplay structure of a hard-ass arcade shooter while having a huge difficulty cushion with the health bar thing so you don't replay the same shit constantly or have breaks in gameplay for continues (which have no "weight" when I'm not burning a token). If there is some Cave-style bullet hell shooter that uses the UN Squadron formula I might actually get good at a Cave-style shooter instead of it looking like a bare cliff of memorization.

flushfire

Augur
Border Down on the Dreamcast has some of the most atmospheric levels I've seen on a shmup. Gameplay ain't too bad either, not as bullet-hellish (I personally am not a fan of bullet-hell shmups) as some of Cave's games but still quite challenging. Anyway it's worth experiencing once just for the backgrounds alone.

And Thunder Force IV on the Sega MD/Genesis for the music. The graphics are amazing as well with those huge, fast-scrolling backgrounds and multiple layers of parallax, but damn the music in this game is one of the best I've heard in any shmup ever. Didn't like the difficulty that much though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom