Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPGs in terms of puzzles or adventure-type gameplay

Tried googling codex for this since the search function is iffy, but couldn't find a similar topic. I really enjoy gameplay in RPGs that involves interesting puzzles or is similar to adventure games like the Zelda series for example. The exact types of puzzles or gameplay could vary across a broad spectrum, from obtaining clues by talking to NPCs to exploring around to find some items that help you to progress the game, to actual localized puzzles, to trying to figure out how a particular area works and how you can impact it in order to progress. Basically, anything that involves exploration, observation, and using your brains a little in order to go forward. This type of thing is somewhat rare in modern RPGs, but was much more common in the old days. As it's something that i enjoy, I would like to compile a list of RPGs that have it, so I know what to play in the future. Some of the ones that I know about:

Betrayal at Krondor - this game was very good in this regard. You had the moredhel chest riddles obviously, some of which were fun to solve, but even better, most of the quests were very high level goals, and you had to figure out how to carry them out by exploring, finding clues, using your head at times.

Ultimas - these games also made you come with solutions by speaking with NPCs to get clues, and putting it all together.

Baldur's Gate 2 - this game had a lot of "puzzles" in its dungeons, but while they were enjoyable, I found them to be fairly easy, basically collect a bunch of items throughout the dungeon and put them together in some obvious way to progress.

So, what are some of the other good ones?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'm pretty sure you can't find better than Might and Magic 3-5. Although this is mostly for puzzles puzzles, including word inputs, pulling levers, etc, but after playing a whole bunch of aulder RPGs that have a 'focus on puzzles', I think I can safely state that (barring Krondor) MM3-5 win easily in this regard because of one thing - the puzzles aren't fucking anal all the time. Sure, some of them are more confusing than others, but they are still mostly intuitive. That is, if you pull a lever, you usually know at once what it did, or you'll learn very soon, so you aren't left wondering 'wtf did that just do' each time you use something (and odds are this 'something' activated some sort of a deathtrap you'll encounter only an hour later, FUCK YOU DAGGERFALL).

Apart from that, I would also recommend Divine Divinity, also mostly with puzzle puzzles, but also including much fun with teleportation :M Just remember to uninstall once you reach the orange area :M

V_K

Arcane
You might want to check my old thread on RPG/Adventure hybrids ;).

Of pure RPGs, that are puzzle-heavy it's freeware Dark Disciples and its sequel that are IMO the best of the best. For two reasons: sheer variety of said puzzles, no two of which feel the same, and the ability to solve them in different ways, that depend on your build. These two games are basically a blueprint on how you do puzzles in your RPG the right way.
Though D.W.Bradley's Wizards&Warriors come pretty close (as do his Wizardry titles for that matter).
Arx Fatalis has lots of adventure-style puzzles, its NPC interaction basically boiling down to that mechanically. Not quite up to the level of a hybrid, but pretty close still.

And of course, there's the whole dungeon crawler subgenre.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Vampire Bloodlines has the the haunted ocean house and Grout's mansion for Zelda-like "pick up item/pull leaver = progress", with loads of atmosphere.

Priory of the Depths was an unlikely, welcome but fairly easy puzzle in Storm of Zehir.

I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins' four-trial puzzle called The Test of Faith. I also enjoyed The Fade in my first run of the game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Ultima Underworld is chock full 'o great puzzles, exploration, quest lines, item intricacies, secrets, etc.

Shanklick approved.

Dorateen

Arcane
Though D.W.Bradley's Wizards&Warriors come pretty close (as do his Wizardry titles for that matter).

I was going to mention Crusaders by name. I thought finding items in wholly unrelated places, that needed to be used in distant maps was brilliant design. As well as hearing odd clues that would have to be entered in via the keyword parser at a later point in time. W&W had these type of obtuse puzzles, but Wizardry VII felt deeper because of its sheer vastness and detail.

V_K

Arcane
Oh shit, I have a RoA avatar and forgot to mention the games themselves. Shame on me. Star Trail and Shadows over Riva have some really great puzzles.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I'm not gonna mention classic dungeon crawlers with puzzles, but games that feel more like adventure games with RPG elements.

Anachronox
Bloodnet
Quest For Glory series (They all run fine with Dosbox BTW)
Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos
Lands of Lore II: Guardians of Destiny

Zelda-like games:
Beyond Oasis
Legend of Oasis
Landstalker

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Oh shit, I have a RoA avatar and forgot to mention the games themselves. Shame on me. Star Trail and Shadows over Riva have some really great puzzles.
I think my mind's slipping, I don't remember too many Realms of Arkania puzzles. I remember a couple riddles - that moose one in Star Trail, a riddle in the wizard tower in Shadows Over Riva where the answer is "Borborad" (how are you supposed to know Borborad if you've never played the tabletop game??) - but I don't remember that many others. What were some of them?

Oh god that one in the Finsterkoppen pit where you had to put on the leather clothes to walk on the hot plates. Does that even count as a puzzle?

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Aside from being an adventure game, Gabriel Knight 3 is entirely focused on what you're describing. You're playing as two private investigator types; one sneaks around, observes and spies on people, gathers clues etc., while the other one is more focused on research and solving complex puzzles. Beware though, as this game is also notorious for containing the most absurd puzzle in gaming history... It's also quite dated by now.

The Tex Murphy games are entirely focused on what you're describing, as well. Under a Killing Moon, The Pandora Directive, Overseer... but again, very dated adventure games.

The original Witcher game involved a certain amount of detective work, if I remember correctly. According to the developers, there will be much more of it in the upcoming third game.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
I think my mind's slipping, I don't remember too many Realms of Arkania puzzles. I remember a couple riddles - that moose one in Star Trail, a riddle in the wizard tower in Shadows Over Riva where the answer is "Borborad" (how are you supposed to know Borborad if you've never played the tabletop game??) - but I don't remember that many others. What were some of them?
There are actually much more riddle- and item-based locks in the sorcerer's tower. And the final boss fight is also a big puzzle where you have to arrange a tapestry in a finite number of moves. The hive has some nice ones too - hallucinations, making the flute etc. Figuring out Mandara's lair also takes some thinking.
I don't remember Start Trail that well, though. Maybe I'm wrong about it.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
There are actually much more riddle- and item-based locks in the sorcerer's tower. And the final boss fight is also a big puzzle where you have to arrange a tapestry in a finite number of moves. The hive has some nice ones too - hallucinations, making the flute etc. Figuring out Mandara's lair also takes some thinking.
I don't remember Start Trail that well, though. Maybe I'm wrong about it.
No, you're probably right. I kind of remember some of it now. I told myself I wouldn't play the RoA games again until I start to forget stuff from them because I played them too much as a kid. I guess I can start replaying them again now.

pippin

I enjoyed Dragon Age: Origins' four-trial puzzle called The Test of Faith. I also enjoyed The Fade in my first run of the game.

My favorite part was the bridge. Also, someone at Bio really loves riddles.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Dungeon Master
Chaos Strikes Best
Dark Heart of Uukul

Especially if you count mapping the dungeon as part of the puzzle.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

My favorite part was the bridge. Also, someone at Bio really loves riddles.

Yep, the bridge was a true puzzle. Bioware has loved riddles since BG1, see Durlag's Tower. On my blog I'm currently re-playing Hordes of the Underdark atm (dunno why, probably just my own decline) and there's heaps of puzzles in it, too, though they're all simple. Hordes has some good ideas, like the puzzle ring and grappling hook, but they didn't really explore the potential enough in the campaign.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I've already played some of these, but a lot I haven't, so I will add them to my to-play list.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tried googling codex for this since the search function is iffy, but couldn't find a similar topic. I really enjoy gameplay in RPGs that involves interesting puzzles or is similar to adventure games like the Zelda series for example.

... maybe you should play Zelda.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Emulate Sega Saturn and play this little gem:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom