Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PS3 single-player games

nomask7

Arcane
Does anyone else have Gran Turismo 5? If so, is there an annoying graphical issue with your version where a spot on the screen near the car is always kind of not smooth like the rest of the road (so that the road sort of, kind of flickers at that spot because it becomes unsmooth for a fraction of a second and then smooth again after passing the spot)?

I see this on normal roads, not gravel. Not sure it was/is always there - I just suddenly started seeing it in the 8 minute Nurburgring track in the arcade mode after already having driven the track a few times in A-Spec. You would see it best by using the view where only the front/hood of the car is showing. You can't see it if using inside-the-car view.

I see it so clearly now and it's so distracting now that I find it hard to believe it was always there and I just didn't notice it. Can't believe it's an intended feature, so I'm guessing it's one of the many bugs.

Can anyone confirm they have or don't have this issue?

The game would be pretty awesome if it didn't have these little issues.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sounds like bilinear filtering. GT5 really pushed the PS3 hardware to it's max, so I'm not surprised.

nomask7

Arcane
Why would there be a large-ish spot free of bilinear filtering there? Remember, the spot doesn't extend all the way to the bottom of the screen, so it's not like the textures are uniformly different when closer to the camera...

Some sort of filtering issue is what it looks like though. A bug then?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hi boys guess who just grabbed PS3? And guess who hacked from 3.55 to smarter OS. And guess who needs a special screwdriver to be able to remove dust from second hand PS3...

AtelierRorona.jpg

Nonetheless, I'm now playing this.

Malpercio

Arcane
Hi boys guess who just grabbed PS3? And guess who hacked from 3.55 to smarter OS. And guess who needs a special screwdriver to be able to remove dust from second hand PS3...

AtelierRorona.jpg

Nonetheless, I'm now playing this.

You may wanna check PS3 Vesperia since you have a 3.55, it was recently translated.

crufty

Arcane
Wipeout HD.

Do you know if there's any point to using higher difficulty in campaigns? It doesn't seem to give me extra rewards so I'm wondering what the point is.

Also, game seems more like F-Zero than original Wipeout, except with worse soundtrack. Maybe I'm just imagining it but the original PS1 Wipeout had a sort of unique feel to it that seems to be lacking in this game.

you go faster

also, zone mode man

Deflowerer

Arcane
Yakuza, is it like GTA/Sleeping Dogs?

Nah, not really. I think the whole Yakuza is a Japanese take on GTA was some retarded marketing buzz for the first game, and that image has sticked with the series ever since. It's basically Shenmue with yakuzas, if you've heard of Shenmue. If not, then think of it more like a beat'em up brawler with a small hub. The main story is Japanese melodrama to the extreme, but the characters are well fleshed out and even the most retarded fedex quest have some hilarious or interesting context. Everybody complains about the series' archaic combat, but it's vastly superior to the Arkham Asylum pop a mole bullshit. So in addition to the main story, you can go around in the hub district and visit restaurants, get drunk, play ping pong, date and pimp waifus (no high school bullshit though, it's all pretty "mature") and do countless other shit depending on the game in question. This is closer to some recent GTA games I guess, but it's handled with more class in Yakuza.

I think the best part about the games is just that everything boils down to beating the shit out of someone, either in the main story or sidequests, and it's just fun to see how the writers come up with these situations.

If you have only a PS3, I recommend Yakuza 4 instead of 3. 3 has you babysitting a bunch of kids for a good chunk of the beginning part of the game, and if you're not familiar with the main character so far, it can be excruciating.

After Drakengard 3, MK vs DC and Persona 5 I'm still trying to find anything that's good, exclusive to this console, the reason to keep hardware. Basically, I've played moar PS2 games then native PS3 ones!

- Souls series doesn't click with me so Demon's Souls it not an option.
- Dragon's Dogma, Enslaved, Vanquish, Valkyrie Chronicles, MK9, FFXIII - they're already on PC and there're ones like Resonance of Fate or Tales of Vesperia that will be soon.
- Not interested in popamole like Last of Us, Uncharted etc.
- JRPG catalogue seems to be pretty boring/generic - Tales of Xillia, Atelier, Star Ocean 5, yawn.

Seriously, ex-library is so weak, maybe u guzy know of some obscure shit, holy grails of PS3, rare Japan-only titles? PS2 had tones of it.

Only games that are on my list are NieR and Foklore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom