Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PS3 single-player games

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Some of these recommendations here...

Heavenly Sword last exactly as long as it take to watch an episode of castle, huge ripoff at launch and not that interesting regardless of length.

Resonance Of Fate is one of the most grind heavy jrpg's on the PS3, it has an interesting setting but does little with it, you will spend the time just grinding grinding grinding.

Deleted member 7219

The Last of Us - best video game of the past 10 years.

Uncharted series - the second one is the best

Ni No Kuni - a JRPG with Studio Ghibli visuals, amazing

Good for storyfags like me: Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls (great acting in the latter)

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal Gear Legacy Collection sounds like a good pick if you find it at a good price.

How is Heavy Rain?

Decent. Good story (somewhat harmed by obviously dropped plot points). The QTEs are merciful, and you play as more than one character so death may take the story somewhere else. You can play it in one weekend though, so if length is important I'd look elsewhere. More or less the same goes for Beyond Two Souls and Last of Us. I don't regret buying them, but I played them with a bro and we would discuss the game as we played which may have made it feel more enjoyable than usual.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
How is Heavy Rain?
A horrific story acted out by Frenchmen pretending to be americans that's altogether told fairly well. It has alot of genuinely tense and well-done scenes, but it's all ruined by the end by the nonsensical story that only works if you act as though the entire cast is, in fact, legitimately retarded.

nomask7

Arcane
Wii made me hate console games for a while, and PS3 isn't helping too much so far.

El Shaddai (from another thread) - crap. The only thing going for it is art direction at places, which isn't saying much. The game mechanics and level design are stupid. You can't speak of mood when the game is this stupid. The art direction is thus wasted. In combat - which is all you do in addition to jumping from platform to platform - there's not even stamina and the only way to break enemy guard is a melodramatic somersault strike. Most of the time your path is magically blocked until you kill a number of spawning and respawning enemies at the spot (ugly design), then you move to the next spot and repeat. Immersion does matter, and that sort of design is ugly immersion breaking garbage. The game could have learned from Dark Souls, where enemies don't magically appear out of nowhere and you can run past them. But El Shaddai was obviously designed by people who don't understand why anyone would play games to begin with. I can guarantee you they aren't enjoying their own game, just the money. I can't put into words how stupid and artificial El Shaddai seems. I will laugh at you if you waste your money on it.

Armored Core V - OK if you're bored. The campaign seems like it could be reasonably challenging, which would be good since there's no online play anymore other than simple 1on1 arena. The maps so far are small to rather small. So far there's not much terrain differences to speak of other than building roofs that you can reach by jumping repeatedly on the walls with rockets on. Stuff like that is reasonably fun as are mech-vs-mech battles, but something is lacking - the game doesn't pull me in... There doesn't seem to be a way to start a new campaign other than by deleting "game data" - which is cumbersome. I wish developers stopped making online focused games, especially when there's no guarantee anybody will be playing those games online for more than a couple of months (I'm only interested in sp anyway so I wish they'd focus on sp and added mp only as an extra)... Surprisingly easy to play after a little bit of rebinding of buttons (jump and doge to L1 and R1). I expected something more complex. I've played the game a little and I already feel like I pretty much know what it has in store.

Wipeout HD Fury - some nice ideas but feels a little too generic to be a great racing game, and I dislike the weapons mechanic (which is forced on you in the campaigns). There's also not that much to achieve in it from what I can tell. No new vehicles, just new appearances, and apparently no bonus campaign if you do particularly well. In the original Mario Kart, if you got gold in all the campaigns at medium difficulty you'd get to compete in a secret bonus campaign with new courses. Wasn't there something a little like this in original Wipeout as well? Apparently in Wipeout HD you can just go through the campaigns using any difficulty setting and it won't make a difference one way or another... I'd also like to really feel the speed more. The game should be faster paced with little danger of hitting walls if you can drive decently and no need to slow down except rarely. We're driving futuristic space cars, dammit... Maybe I'm just shitty at it and haven't played enough at top velocities. I still manage to get gold sometimes at medium difficulty though and zone challenges are easy for me. I like the zone game type btw. In it, speed increases from time to time, you can't slow down, and you try to survive for as long as you can. Fun. I tried the 3D mode, wasn't impressed.

Ivan

Arcane
If you haven't played any PS2 games then get the Ico/Shadow HD, Devil May Cry 3, and MGS Collection.

Demon Souls: fucking loved it. it's excellent. get it, nao.

MGS: for storyfag reasons only, although MGS3 is genuinely good.
Red Dead Redemption: I liked the first act, but it gets boring very quickly. It's mostly for storyfags. Traversing the map gets extremely tedious (since you know, horses cant fly)

nomask7

Arcane
Demon Souls: fucking loved it. it's excellent. get it, nao.

Contrary to my habits, I bought it new rather than used. The game is the whole reason why I bought PS3. But packages from UK to Finland do not travel over-night.

I'm not sure in which order I should play the Souls games, but I've decided to play Demon's Souls now, then Dark Souls without cheating if Demon's Souls doesn't make me lose my sanity (what's left of it anyway), then Dark Souls II if I'm not yet burned out. From plaing Dark Souls - the game seemed annoying at times without savescumming (boss fights), but OTOH savescumming is immersion breaking and cumbersome so I decided I'd try to beat these games legitimately even if slowly. Losing resins in failed attempts to beat a boss must be infuriating though.

I still wish someone made games like these but with only optional boss fights so I'd get the rewarding and fascinating experience without the annoying stuff.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Wipeout HD.

Do you know if there's any point to using higher difficulty in campaigns? It doesn't seem to give me extra rewards so I'm wondering what the point is.

Also, game seems more like F-Zero than original Wipeout, except with worse soundtrack. Maybe I'm just imagining it but the original PS1 Wipeout had a sort of unique feel to it that seems to be lacking in this game.
I don't remember if you get anything for beating the campaign with higher AI difficulty, I guess the only reward is the fun you get from playing. The soundtrack is worse compared to older Wipeout games but you can use your own mp3s in the game, I played with the music from the PSX games. If you compare Wipeout HD to older games, it resembles 3 and 2097 the most.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
How do you even savescum in Dark Souls? You mean by actually copying the save file before the bossfight, like you would in a roguelike? That seems like it would make the game insanely boring. And you can't do it on a PS3, so may as well get used to corpse runs, of which Demon's Souls has some of the longest in the series.

nomask7

Arcane
How do you even savescum in Dark Souls? You mean by actually copying the save file before the bossfight, like you would in a roguelike?

Yes.

That seems like it would make the game insanely boring.

Depends on the area you're playing (apparently in some areas the boss comes pretty much straight away so there's no other challenge).

And you can't do it on a PS3, so may as well get used to corpse runs,

That's the idea (although I'm not sure you can't do it on PS3).

of which Demon's Souls has some of the longest in the series.

That's good, because I far prefer the challenge of attrition caused by normal enemies to the challenge of boss fights (again, optional boss fights would be nice though - just not a fan of compulsory ones).

nomask7

Arcane
El Shaddai (from another thread) - crap. ... Most of the time your path is magically blocked until you kill a number of spawning and respawning enemies at the spot (ugly design), then you move to the next spot and repeat.

Does anyone know of good action beat 'em up games for PS3 where you're free to progress instead of being trapped in a sort of arena every two minutes? What kind of game is Bayonetta in these terms?

zwanzig_zwoelf

increased crawling speed made the dungeons feel like they were lazily designed (because I can run through them in 5 minutes instead of 20).

???
It's an improvement for me, this and option to turn off persona animations, damn this should be obligatory in every jrpg.
Bleargh. I love to watch how my party shoots the living crap out of demons and the world map was my favorite in terms of marching around and swapping savestates between jap and eng version to see what kind of bizarre crap could happen (like devastated city in the beginning of the game). Not to mention superior sounds (but lower quality) and feeling of insecurity/uncertainty when exploring another dungeon.

But in PSP version you have infuriating, dissonant flamenco sounds during demon dances instead of short (and rather scary) demonic dance tracks. Should I even mention boring toy gun sounds instead of something resembling a real gun? I'm shooting demons with bullets, not nerf balls, FFS.

Ivan

Arcane
Does anyone know of good action beat 'em up

Key-Peele-dueling-fitted-caps-hats.jpg

In my book, God Hand is the best action game ever made. Better than Devil May Cry 3 and a hair above Bayonetta 2.

nomask7

Arcane
In my book, God Hand is the best action game ever made. Better than Devil May Cry 3 and a hair above Bayonetta 2.

Sounds interesting, but can you confirm it's possible to avoid enemies in these games (other than bosses and other rather rare events)? I've heard there are (at least some) mandatory fights in Bayonetta, but are the levels mostly susceptible to speed runs?

nomask7

Arcane
How do you even savescum in Dark Souls? You mean by actually copying the save file before the bossfight, like you would in a roguelike?

Yes.
Why would anyone do such a thing?

Probably if you're scrubby enough to die a second time before grabbing your souls off your corpse. Which still doesn't explain why you simply didn't spend them on a level up to be less scrubby.

Resins and humanity points. When you have around 15 humanity points you're going to feel a sense of great loss if you can't reclaim them, as well as greatly increased difficulty in all ways as a result.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Having 10+ Humanity on you is supposed to be a high risk/high reward kind of tradeoff bro. Skipping the high risk is basically cheating.

Come to think of it, it's probably easier to use an actual cheat to give yourself that Humanity than fucking around with save files. I thought you were doing this to avoid corpse runs, which is halfway reasonable, but you're basically saying "it's too hard so I'm going to cheat". May as well just summon people in that case.

nomask7

Arcane
Having 10+ Humanity on you is supposed to be a high risk/high reward kind of tradeoff bro. Skipping the high risk is basically cheating.

My reasoning is that the risk should be in exploring and travelling, not in boss fights. Like I said, not a fan of mandatory boss fights.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Sounds interesting, but can you confirm it's possible to avoid enemies in these games (other than bosses and other rather rare events)? I've heard there are (at least some) mandatory fights in Bayonetta, but are the levels mostly susceptible to speed runs?

Some are optional, but the majority is mandatory.

The fights are kind of the point though.

Combat is fucking great though and speedrunning is dependant on your skill.

nomask7

Arcane
Some are optional, but the majority is mandatory.

The fights are kind of the point though.

Combat is fucking great though and speedrunning is dependant on your skill.

Thanks for the info. I was just curious if there were games like these but closer to Dark Souls (just without the RPG aspect). I don't mean it has to be interconnected world, but mandatory fights suck especially when they're on small arenas created out of small part of the level with temporary invisible walls. If the Souls games can do 'it', why can't other action games? I'm puzzled.

nomask7

Arcane
I should have read this thread more carefully so I would have known not to touch Uncharted. First of all, I believe I've played through about half of the game and the only puzzles so far were in the beginning (and they were basically auto-solved despite my choosing "no hints" in the options).

The combat is repetitive because, unlike in old-school stuff like Ultimate Doom, enemy placement, enemy type and player movement matter little, as does, ironically, environment. Unless you take cover behind something that breaks down, it matters very little where you take cover. Fighting two or three enemies feels the same as fighting four or five or six, and there's barely any variation in enemy types. Even automatic rifle enemies feel much the same as pistol enemies, and other than those two and shotgun enemies, there's no variety at all so far. They all move the same, they all take cover the same, they all feel and fight the same. They all have the same AI. Boring.

Platforming is basically automatic like someone said. The only skill involved is seeing where the path lies (which isn't hard or interesting).

There's no other gameplay content in this game.

Someone said Uncharted 2 is better, but from what I can tell from the reviews, it's still essentially more of the same. One reviewer says the immersion is incredible. I don't think he knows what immersion means in the context of games. It means the game makes you feel like the player character due to minimal interruptions by cutscenes or handholding. It means the opposite of a cinematic experience. Doom was immersive. With Uncharted you're just watching characters do stuff while guiding them a little now and then. You don't identify with the character, you observe him.

It turns out 'immersive' means the opposite of what retard reviewers think it means. I don't think they even play games that are immersive, considering that they get their standard from movies out of all things.

It's games like this and their popularity that remind me I live in on a planet of manboons.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Hope you don't mind nomask7 but I'm gonna use this for my own means too.

I've hijacked my neighbors PS3 and played the following:

Red Dead Redemption: loved the first act (Bonnie is perhaps the best female npc in a game), however acts 2 and 3 were fucking horrible. Play this game for storyfag reasons only. Gameplay is rubbish. However, do get Undead Nightmare.
Demon Souls: already professed my love for it.
MGS HD Collection: got it mainly for peace walker. not bad. reminds me a lot of the simple gameplay from MGS1
Journey: holy shit. I got so fucking bored after 1 hour. This shit better pick up.
Ninja Gaiden Sigma: it's ok. it's more strategic than stylish, which is fine. But it features horrible pace-breakers in the way of gay puzzles and platforming.
Vanquish: it's ok. I expected much more from the hype. Everything is silver or white, gunplay is lacking.
MGS4: huge disappointment. glad to see that mgs5 is focusing on open world gameplay.

Anything else I should play?

Thinking about getting Dragon's Dogma only because I've heard it's been compared to the Souls series.

Yakuza, is it like GTA/Sleeping Dogs?

Last edited:

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Red Dead Redemption is great, storyfag 4 lyfe

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom