Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PS3 single-player games

nomask7

Arcane
I couldn't find a recent thread about this (last substantial thread seems to be from 2011 - two years before PS4 launched - although there's one from 2013 about "jap games").

I want to get this console for Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma, but is there anything else I should buy? I'm open minded.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Yakuza 3 and 4. Yakuza 5 is finally getting localized but it'll be digital only. Persona 5 is coming out this year if that's your jam. Also recommend Nier.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
I got a PS3 last year to play all the games I missed out on and I got Uncharted Series, The last of Us, Metal Gear Solid 4, and God of War 3. I've played a majority of them now and I've enjoyed them all except for Uncharted 1.

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
The Last of Us is not bad. Not as good as the hype suggests, but certainly not too bad. The art direction of some of the scenes is one of the best out there.

Other PS3 exclusives have clones or sequels on PC (God of War --Darksiders; Killzone --COD; MGS --sequels; Uncharted --Tomb Raider) but Last of Us doesn't yet have a clone on PC yet.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
First Valkyrie Chronicles is up there, or check Wizardy: Labirynth of Lost Souls. Both on PSN. If you use PSN then there should be Brandish: Dark Revenant avaliable. Then Folklore. God of War is overrated, better to try Heavenly Sword. Other that I remember - Tokyo Jungle, Yakuza 4 (good side quests).
I don't like driving (loathed it in GTA series), only liked Carmageddon yet Gran Turismo 5 was really cool thing.

Demon's Souls and Dragon's Dogma,
That would be also on my list of "first titles to play after getting PS3", but it missing one - NIER.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Last of Us
GTA V
3D Dot Game Heroes
The Guided Fate Paradox
Yakuza
Ratchet & Clank
Disgaea
God of War III
Heavenly Sword
Bayonetta
Little Big Planet
Tales of Xillia
Tales of Zestiria
Uncharted

Duraframe300

Arcane
Wait for Persona 5.
Why? Persona 5 looks like fag shit even if compared to Persona 3 and 4.
I doubt that Atlus can turn the series into something worth playing (like original Persona for PSX).

?

Original Persona wasn't that great. Especially the psx persona (Due to localization cutting out an entire storypath in the game)

Now, Persona 2 and we're talking.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Wait for Persona 5.
I doubt that Atlus can turn the series into something worth playing (like original Persona for PSX).

?

Original Persona wasn't that great. Especially the psx persona (Due to localization cutting out an entire storypath in the game)

Megami Ibunroku Persona was a fun, slow-paced dungeon crawler for me (and I'm playing the Japanese version, so I get to play the Snow Queen route). Also, PSP version is a steaming pile for shit thanks to Shoji Meguro and his j-rap music. I bet Hidehito Aoki is spinning in his grave every time someone mentions the PSP remake.
Persona 2 games were okay, but they don't have the same punch as the original Persona.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Devil May Cry HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
Tales of Symphonia: Chronicles
Catherine
Folklore
Kingdom Hearts 1.5/2.5 Remix
Valkyria Chronicles
Vanquish
Uncharted
Killer is Dead
Yakuza 3, 4 & 5

Matter of taste, for me it looks much better than emodramatic P3 (worst of Persona games) and with demons instead of shadows and improved dungeon design it's heading for best Persona title.

I beat PSP Persona 1 (twice: both routes) with music patch that replaced its soundtrack with Megami Ibunroku Persona music I now I'm shocked that so many people consider it POS. It has strong main SMT vibe, fpp dungeon crawling in GOOD dungeons (not this random genrated crap from P3/P4), with proper demon/persona fusion in place of uberboring skill card collecting (P2:IS/EP) and finally, excellent music (best of all Personas). BTW Snow Queen Ruote is a must and its final maze reminds me of good old Eridanus from Strange Journey.

:x

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Not a bad time for PS3 gaming. Steal the old PS3 from a friend, grab a couple of his good games and buy for cheap used everything else you'd like, while your pleb friend has zero good games to play on his new PS4. :smug:

PS3 exclusives:
=====================================
Demon Souls - The reason I grabbed that PS3
Red Dead Redemption - Holy shit, great game.
Nier - Unexpected diamond in the rough. Good story
Dragon's Dogma - This aRPG has potential
Resonance Of Fate - Pretty different jRPG, worth a look

nomask7

Arcane
Wipeout HD.

Do you know if there's any point to using higher difficulty in campaigns? It doesn't seem to give me extra rewards so I'm wondering what the point is.

Also, game seems more like F-Zero than original Wipeout, except with worse soundtrack. Maybe I'm just imagining it but the original PS1 Wipeout had a sort of unique feel to it that seems to be lacking in this game.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
I was in your exact position around Christmas last year. My thinking was that it only really made sense to look for games which are completely unavailable on PC (some action games, JRPGs, Sony exclusives, etc.). Stuff I played, with impressions:

Demon's Souls
I consider it the worst game overall in the Souls franchise, but it has the best atmosphere and art. Definitely worth playing, and replaying, as it's relatively short compared to the following entries.

Dragon's Dogma
A flawed gem, there's a lot to love and a lot to hate about this one. The base game is kind of like Oblivion with good combat, exploration done right, and some cool freeform terrain traversal. On the other hand, the world is rather bland, game is ugly, writing is weird in the typical Japanese fashion, and it has a good amount of ultimately pointless inventory management that is an insane chore to do on a pad.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
Not as good as the Black version according to brother Edward_R_Murrow, but a great action game nonetheless.

Red Dead Redemption
Your average Rockstar fare. Great looking and immersive world with a lot of attention to detail and pretty good writing; core gameplay is dull as dishwater though, and the game runs like shit on the PS3. Can try if you're a storyfag.

Uncharted 2
This came "bundled" with the used PS3 I bought on the potato equivalent of ebay (the other thing I got was the Collector's Edition of Dark Souls, funnily enough, with the dude asking me to take good care of it). Extreme mediocrity from what I've played. Tried to be an Indiana jones movie in game form, but without any of the charm, self-awareness, or acting performances that made those movies fun. Auto-platforming, dull cover-shooting and crappy stealth included.

I considered buying The Last of Us on a deep enough discount to see what all the fuss was about, but I've had better ways to spend my time since.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Matter of taste, for me it looks much better than emodramatic P3 (worst of Persona games) and with demons instead of shadows and improved dungeon design it's heading for best Persona title.

I beat PSP Persona 1 (twice: both routes) with music patch that replaced its soundtrack with Megami Ibunroku Persona music I now I'm shocked that so many people consider it POS. It has strong main SMT vibe, fpp dungeon crawling in GOOD dungeons (not this random genrated crap from P3/P4), with proper demon/persona fusion in place of uberboring skill card collecting (P2:IS/EP) and finally, excellent music (best of all Personas). BTW Snow Queen Ruote is a must and its final maze reminds me of good old Eridanus from Strange Journey.

:x
Emo design is still present, though. Gives an impression that I'm in a fucking circus.
As for PSP Persona, music patch is good for the most part, but tracks were cut/downmixed to avoid issues with copy protection. I like the improved translation, but ffs, increased crawling speed made the dungeons feel like they were lazily designed (because I can run through them in 5 minutes instead of 20).
Persona 3 has awful dungeon design, and it's one of the reasons I'm against procedurally generated levels (though they were okay in case of Baroque for PS1). I'd create a shitton of dungeons and then place them in random order with a few rare dungeons to give the player a confidence pill and then stomp him into the ground.

The Fish

Arcane
They're PS2 games but if you haven't played God Hand or ICO you should download them on your PS3.

Don't get Red Dead Redemption. It's utter shit. Typical third person cover system "trippel A" dross. I can't believe I wasted money on it.

Earth Defense Force 2025 is fun. It has some flaws but as long as you know how to grind efficiently you can get around them. Dragon's Crown is pretty cool as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom