Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best PC games to play on a TV with a controller?

Stabwound

Arcane
I joined the consoletard crowd with a Steam streaming setup of my high-end PC to my living room so I can enjoy ~modern classics~ like Twitcher 3 and GTA5 whilst sitting on the couch and playing with a PS3 controller.

What games play well and are fun with a controller while sitting 10 feet away from a TV?

I already have a relatively difficult time reading some of the text in GTA and Twitcher at 1080p from such a distance. It works, but it's clearly not designed to be readable from that far away.

What else is fun to play like a console? I haven't owned a console since the PS2 so I have no idea what's out there. It's honestly nice to vegetate on the couch with a controller in front of a huge TV as opposed to hunching over a keyboard and mouse. Sometimes.

I'll probably pick up Dark Souls 3 when it comes out, but other than that, I haven't played much of anything in the past few years.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Why do u need controller? Git a wireless mouse+keyboard.

Problems with text readibility is solved with some tweaking, depending on your TV and the game itself. But in 99% cases you want a very low sharpness, and sometimes an above-average contrast. Do note that your TV might fuck up the colour scheme of the game (or at least mine does). If you get to choose "picture mode" in TV settings, try to check out every single one, choose the best. I found that Movie mode works best for yer average fancy game.

Haraldur

Augur
The Ur-Quen Masters (Star Control 2). The only use of a full keyboard is for the (non-essential) search feature on the starmap (which may have been missing from the original DOS version) -- keys needed to control the game, otherwise. Keep in mind that this game was ported to the 3DO (and from that to source code release and to the GNU/Linux ports etc.). I am currently playing it on a handheld computer.

Other games with similar properties: DOOM, Heretic etc., Duke Nukem 3D and othe Build games (if auto-aim suffices), and perhaps the Windows port of Valkyria Chronicles (it stands to reason).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Castle Crashers. Built for consoles, not much text needed to see and a great beat 'em up all arond.
Any of the two Arkham games. Decent enough if a bit on the easy side due to Batman being OP.
Mark of the Ninja is pretty gud.
As well as Deus Ex Human Revolution.
Divinity Original Sin: Director's Cut. They updated the damn game for gamepads, I'm sure it works out fine.
Crimson Clover: World Ignition. Shmup for non-casuls. Glorious visuals.
The Last Remnant. Decent JRPG with good gamepad support.

Have you played the original two Dark Souls?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Witcher 3, Metal Gear Rising, Mark of the Ninja and La Mulana to name a few.

I've checked homebrew port of Quake 2 for original Xbox and due to slow paced gameplay it was pretty playable on gamepad. Same for Duke 3D and Shadow Warrior.

Gonna try Aliens vs Predator Gold Edition....

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here are some I have enjoyed with the same setup:

Prince of Persia (all of them from Sands of Time onwards)
Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
Dark Souls
Shank
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Witcher 2 & 3
Brutal Legend

I have also palyed these, but they are bad:
Blood Knights
Hydrophobia: Prophecy
Garshasp The Monster Slayer

Stabwound

Arcane
Thanks for the suggestions. As far as DS, I only played a bit of the first one, but my computer at the time couldn't hold a stable framerate and it was too annoying.

I knew I was going to get shit for asking this question, but after working at a computer all day, sometimes it's nice to play something at the TV with a controller rather than be hunched over the keyboard again. Feels more like playing a game and less like a continuation of work.

Dexter

Arcane
Pretty much everything that isn't a Shooter, Strategy, Adventure, Puzzle game, MMO or Tactical RPG nowadays since most of them are console ports anyway: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=controller+support#term=controller support&sort_by=_ASC&category1=998&category2=28&page=1

Specifically almost every platformer (Ori and the Blind Forest, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Trine, Super Meat Boy, Cave Story+, DuckTales, Deadlight, Guacamelee!, Waking Mars, Rayman) and also in 3D like Psychonauts and stuff like Bastion, Castle Crashers, Castlevania series, Dark Souls series, Alan Wake, Brawlers/Fighting games e.g. Street Fighter 4, Mortal Kombat 9, Injustice: Gods Among Us (if you don't have a shit D-Pad, ironically I bought the X360 Controller first for Street Fighter IV just to find out it's shit for that purpose), any racing games (as long as you don't have a wheel), any flight game (as long as you don't have a HOTAS/Joystick), Shoot'Em'Ups, a lot of "Open World" games like GTA or Saints Row, Brütal Legend, Tomb Raider, Batman: Arkham series, Prince of Persia series, Assassin's Creed series, L.A. Noire, Shadow of Mordor.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom