Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Morrowind Mods: 2012 Edition?

DraQ

Arcane
Totally unnecessary to assign inv/char sheet/map screen to right clicking. Could have been used for casting, blocking etc.
You do realize that it is a PC game with fully customizable controls, right?

It also prevents you from equipping things with a right click. Currently you have to click on an item, release the mouse button (you can't just drag it), move the item over to your paperdoll, click and release the mouse button again. ZzZzzz.
So it's a drag and drop, except without holding the button in mid-move. How exactly is it bad interface?

Not enough Windows 8?

Anyway, do give me some examples of cRPGs with better interfaces.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I apologize then.

But really, after Skyrim there is not a single reason to play Oblivion what so ever. I did like some dungeons, but that's about it.

Regvard

Arcane
Totally unnecessary to assign inv/char sheet/map screen to right clicking. Could have been used for casting, blocking etc.

It also prevents you from equipping things with a right click. Currently you have to click on an item, release the mouse button (you can't just drag it), move the item over to your paperdoll, click and release the mouse button again. ZzZzzz.
So it's a drag and drop, except without holding the button in mid-move. How exactly is it bad interface?

Not enough Windows 8?

World of Warcraft. Infinitely moddable.

DraQ

Arcane

Not enough Windows 8?

Vanilla, smartass.

Regvard

Arcane

Not enough Windows 8?

Vanilla, smartass.

Still better. Also, EVE Online, NWN 2 (although ugly) , KotORs...

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
anyone know if the less generic npcs project plugins are any good?

NWN 2 (although ugly) , KotORs...
you are a horrible person and i hope you feel bad.

i also hope advances in modern science will soon be able to make you less of a dumbfuck.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
The extended lands mod makes my computer crawl, and disabling all fog and having max view distance makes you realize how small the game actually is anyway. Plus the fog adds some mystery and atmosphere. I haven't played the game in so long that I can't remember the land, and exploration is the fun part. So I disabled that extended lands shit.
Bethesda really did mess up by introducing "realistic" view distances and the required quest compass in the sequels.

Stabwound

Arcane
I've been playing this again; I forgot how good it is. By far the best hiking simulator ever made, and it's a fucking shame how far the series has declined since then.

I'm playing with the Graphics Overhaul and Tamriel Rebuilt, along with a levelling mod and an economy fixer mod - that's about it. It was a nightmare trying to get the game to run without 100 errors on startup but I finally did it. And I discovered that you can extend the view distance and still have fog without completely disabling it, which is cool.

The only problem is that I get about 15-20fps in areas, but the game looks great. I'm glad that I forget where most of the hidden items and artifacts and shit are, too. It's one perk of having a shit memory: you can replay games every once in a while and have it be almost a new experience again. :smug:

DraQ

Arcane
Bethesda really did mess up by introducing "realistic" view distances and the required quest compass in the sequels.
Skyrim alleviates the former by using the terrain designed for long view distances, enforcing indirect routes and blocking the view with mountains to create illusion of larger space.

It's similar to Morrowind in this regard, except the mountains also play the role of the fog.

I've been playing this again; I forgot how good it is. By far the best hiking simulator ever made, and it's a fucking shame how far the series has declined since then.
True, though Skyrim is still a massive incline spike compared to Oblivion.
It only lacks Morrowind.

And I discovered that you can extend the view distance and still have fog without completely disabling it, which is cool.
I recommend setting fog distance to about 3 cells tops and make it begin either immediately or a fraction of cell away.

You can then skimp on distant statics rendering distance, and use lowest quality distant land mesh. At about 18 cells drawing distance this should give you a foggy horizon effect, with just featureless outlines of the terrain and large statics, that still block the sun, prevent clipping and give you overall sense of location.

I'm glad that I forget where most of the hidden items and artifacts and shit are, too. It's one perk of having a shit memory: you can replay games every once in a while and have it be almost a new experience again. :smug:
Alcohol also helps with that.

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Only mod I use is MGSO 3.0, and it's quite the :incline:. Game doesn't need much more than that to be honest, a true masterpiece despite the touch of Todd Howard. :hero:
Playing a Dunmer custom class battlemage right now, still quite the blast.

Regvard

Arcane
So, I'm playing through this again with Tamriel Rebuilt and MGSO 3.0. I need a mod to disable some spell visuals. Orbiting lights are annoying. Found a mod for the shield spell but doesn't seem to work. Any ideas?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
And no, this last argument isn't in the least bit absurd - behold, a console popamole FPS:

I cried while watching that. RPGs have always been kinda shit, but FPSs used to be good and we'll never again see anything even remotely close to Doom 2 in quality. :decline:

Stabwound

Arcane
Fuck, I'm getting crashes about every 30 seconds now, usually in regards to d3d8.dll. I just installed a SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 x64 so I don't know if it's related to that. This is brutally annoying. Maybe it's because of the Morrowind Graphics Extender? I don't get it.

:rage:

Regvard

Arcane
Fuck, I'm getting crashes about every 30 seconds now, usually in regards to d3d8.dll. I just installed a SSD and reinstalled Windows 7 x64 so I don't know if it's related to that. This is brutally annoying. Maybe it's because of the Morrowind Graphics Extender? I don't get it.

:rage:

Did you follow the installation and patch order of MGSO (if you are using it)?

Anyway, here are my suggested mods:

- Morrowind Graphics Overhaul 3.0 ------> http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/mgso-release/

- "Lovely" Loading Screens ----> http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/mods/42313

I always hated some of the original morrowind loading screens. You can replace/add to them with this mod. Art style might not for everyone though. Check out the screenshots first. It's also a bit wonky on widescreens.

- Tamriel Rebuilt Map 3: http://tamriel-rebuilt.org/

- Living Cities of Vvardenfell ----> http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=676

"Living Cities of Vvardenfell puts many of the NPCs of Morrowind on daily schedules. NPCs will move about over the course of day, going to work, temple, the local tavern, or simply wandering around town. At night, more guards come out, while NPCs lock up their shops and go home and turn down the lights."

Stabwound

Arcane
My 5 minutes of testing concludes that the crashes don't happen if I disable Morrowind Graphics Extender but that's all I could figure out. I don't believe it has ever crashed outside, only indoors which is extra weird. I did however have a savegame corrupt when I saved outdoors, and then I read that you shouldn't ever save outside if you have extended lands enabled.

It's probably nothing anyone can help with since even googling doesn't seem to give any results.

wormix

Augur
My 5 minutes of testing concludes that the crashes don't happen if I disable Morrowind Graphics Extender but that's all I could figure out.
Which version of MGE are you using?

I find that the newer ones ended up causing my game to crash and had to use revisions 186 or 178.

Stabwound

Arcane
Interesting, I'm using the latest version of MGE XE, not 186. It would kind of suck to have to use the older version, but I'll give it a shot. An older version is better than having to turn it off every time I enter a dungeon.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
HotFusion's Economy Adjuster is good, and it's pretty subtle too (no ridiculously inflated prices, for example). Just leave the Miscellaneous plug-in out as it maybe takes some things a bit too far.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I'm lazy as damn. Can someone post me links to that 2012 graphic overhaul mod, some good music modsand other must-haves?

I failed with modding my last Morrowind and fucked up with MGE and apparently it broke.

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
thanks

what about some gameplay mods that will be compatible with it?

ohWOW

Dumbfuck Queued
I can't find download link for mgso 3.0 and ornitocopter is dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom