Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Best MoM mod: Caster of Magic

Incantatar

Cipher
-----------------------------------
EDIT 5/2021: The mod became a DLC and now there is CoM 2. Game is completly rewritten and really fantastic! Seravy did an amazing job. You can buy the game at GOG and Steam. "Caster of Magic for Windows". Works fine with Linux too, just open Caster.exe with Wine.
-----------------------------------

This is the mod i have been waiting for. It fixes so many things, it's unbelievable. The two worst things in MoM were imo bad AI and bad diplomacy. Both have been significantly improved! Many more bugs fixed and many inconveniences have been removed. If you don't like the changes you can get the bugfixes only too. Thank you Seravy!

(Before anyone looks at Hadriex' videos and gets butthurt, the Weaboo stuff is optional and has to be enabled first.)

Yes, this is a new mod to Master of Magic. The goal of this mod is to have the game feel similar to the original, but without all the inconveniences and annoying "features" that hindered the enjoyment of the game.

You can find the download on my website, although it wasn't about MoM up till today, now it also contains the download to this mod!
http://seravy.x10.mx/Wordpress/

A quick overview - for more, download the mod and see the documentation inside!
-This is built upon insecticide 1.4n and I fixed a lot of additional bugs that weren't fixed there.
-Units move more. Population growth is faster. Buildings are cheaper. Yes I know several other mods also do these changes. They really improve the game.
-Building tree is completely redesigned. The player has a lot more choices, and races are generally less restricted in what they can build. Several builds had their numbers adjusted, some even their function.
-AI is significantly improved
-AI is capable of doing things it wasn't able to before
-AI diplomatic actions like offering treaties now actually happen instead of getting lost in the myriad of self-contradicting checks and conditions.
-AI personality and objective now has a much higher impact on diplomacy and declaration of wars.
-Alliances now provide better benefits to the player
-Any wizard has an equal chance of starting on Myrror instead of Myrror default wizards showing up all the time.
-Diplomatic consequences of several actions changed significantly to be more reasonable, for example banishing a wizard will only make you hated by that wizard's friends, but liked by their enemies.
-Restrictions on books and picks are generally less severe. You can take life and death at the same time. Myrran costs only 2. You have 12 picks to spend.
-Broken bonuses provided by many books of the same type have been toned down. Research and casting reduction is a mere 3% and 2% per book, but for each book after the 4th. You cannot take a 11th book to start with rare spells and obliterate everyone with a single, powerful spell.
-The mod puts emphasis on the ability to maintain larger armies. Food upkeep is halved. Roads, Pathfinding and a few other features that allowed excessive movement have been toner down a bit.
-Heroes start with better stats, but gain fewer from levels. This makes them a viable unit in the early game, that does make a difference. Early use of heroes is further promoted by an arcane direct damage spell that requires a hero in battle to be used, which replaced Recall Hero. Heroes also contribute only 1/6th of their skill when staying in the fortress, so you better use them for battles instead, that's what they are for.
-Tax system is redesigned, the options below 1 gold and above 2.5 are out.
-Pathfinding now only allows movement for 1 points instead of 0.5. Roads allow movement for 1, enchanted roads for 0.5.
-Weak, useless spells have been either buffed or replaced by a completely new spell. New spells include Call Centaurs, Construct Catapult, Call to Arms, AEther Binding, Tranquility (same name different effect), Life Force, Eternal Night, Fairy Dust, Syphon Life, Summon Zombie, Conjure Roads, Healing Charge, Divine Order and Summon Demon. Buffed spells are plenty, the most noteworthy are Archangels, Efreets and Demon Lords. The ultimate goal is to make all spells worth casting when following the appropriate strategy.
-Sliders have been eliminated from most spells, but there are exceptions. Direct damage spells generally do a fixed strength attack for a fixed cost, but are more cost effective than the originals.
-Disjunction is now using a linear formula that allows reaching 100% success rate on weaker enchantments, the True version on everything, but doing that will cost you.
-Maintenance costs of magic is reduced in general.
-Low tier normal units generally have less resistance, and many spells, especially those having a weaker effect, use higher penalties.
-Normal units have been rebalanced.
-Convenience changes, like better Grand Vizier or allowing to produce units in a full town.
-Treasure from encounters completely rebalanced and many flaws in the system fixed.
-Ore bonuses are higher. Transmute allows changing more ores.
-Buying now always costs the same amount regardless of completion percentage at a rate of 2x. Your gold is now useful!
-Spellcasting range penalties are generally a bit less harsh. Fortress battles use 1x penalty to avoid the bug that prevents casting when at 16k+ mana.
-Your fortress is protected by the lightning bolts you might have seen in other mods. Strength is 10+(skill/8) capped at 32.
-Ranged magic attacks now have their own ammo and don't use mana.
-Some events are replaced or had their effects enhanced.
-New item powers are added and merging is functional.
-There is a new fleeing system. You can now have a 100% chance to kill fleeing units if yours are significantly faster. There is no 100% chance to flee, but you can reach more than 75% if your unit is fast enough.
-1 new retort has been added.
-And finally, an optional feature : By adding the files in a separate subfolder, you can replace all the default wizards and heroes with Touhou and anime characters of my choice. Probably not for everyone, but seeing the same faces for 20 years got a bit boring for me.

As I already said, more details in the documentation.
Have fun, and feedback is always welcome.

Additionally, if you like the mod and can help achieving anything in the "future goals" section of the documentation, please do so.
The next great step would be improving the AI.
http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=7751

Edit: If you're on Linux like me, don't forget to uppercase all filenames, it won't work otherwise (Windows fags don't know about letter case). In the GoG version extract the mod with subfolders in MoM/Data. Not necessary anymore.

Last edited:

catfood

AGAIN
-And finally, an optional feature : By adding the files in a separate subfolder, you can replace all the default wizards and heroes with Touhou and anime characters of my choice. Probably not for everyone, but seeing the same faces for 20 years got a bit boring for me.

i have been waiting all my life for this feature

Incantatar

Cipher

i have been waiting all my life for this feature
(Before anyone ... gets butthurt, the Weaboo stuff is optional and has to be enabled first.)
Who cares? It's not even enabled on default. I knew this would bring backlash. :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
This sounds interesting. Why play failed MoM wannabe games of modern times when I can just mod the real deal and play that. I got a GoG version lying around here somewhere...

Incantatar

Cipher
This sounds interesting. Why play failed MoM wannabe games of modern times when I can just mod the real deal and play that. I got a GoG version lying around here somewhere...
Up the cycles (.CTRL-F12) The original game was slow, unfortunately the mod increases the computation even more.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
kyrub his patches have improved the game considerable for me. Wonder how he feels about this. The weeaboo crap makes me very wary of trying this one out. All the build quicker, lose limitations, have population grow faster stuff also does not sit very well with me.

Anyway, nice to see people still mod this gem.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I suppose this could be a change of pace from the usual MoM 11 book strategies.

At the very least I'm going to do a gimmick Black/White build

Gregz

Arcane
Great game, wish that feature list could be individually toggled with radio buttons or by editing XML.

Some features I like, some I don't.

kyrub

Augur
kyrub his patches have improved the game considerable for me. Wonder how he feels about this.

I have no problem with it. It's not my kind of stuff for sure, too much fluff modding. But Seravy does his job very well and proffesionally. And I have no more time to do anything with MoM, so... why not?

However, there is an unmodded version of Seravy's new efforts, the Master of Magic 1.5 (or "Raid" with relation to my Insecticide, because it is built on top of it.)

http://realmsbeyond.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=7911

It features massive improvements to AI, especially the AI diplomacy and many minor bug and AI fixes. I can reccomend this wholeheartedly to any fan of the original title. Seravy did very well. There's probably no point to play old Insecticide. This version is superior.

Incantatar

Cipher
I have to confess, i can't watch many normal people on YT. Strange antics, autism and geekiness calms my mind.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Sounds like an excuse for me to give MoM another chance.
My first impression of it some years ago was not very good: worse graphics than 3 years older Civlization, very slow game in the beginning, too many options (when you don't know the game), and reports of a braindead AI.

Incantatar

Cipher
Play a game on easy and fuck around. The in game help is pretty good, you'll learn as you go. I really like the graphics, but I play ASCII games.
The mod makes the game a lot faster. The vanilla game is really super slow. You can play on tiny and small maps which will have a lot of water to make the game even faster. It is still a turn based strategy game with millions of things to do though.

rezaf

Cipher
I think it's worth noting that this game from the primeval times before the dawn of the internet has a much better UI than Civ6.
You can right-click on a ton of stuff to receive information, and where applicable, easy to recognize icons were used in place of dry numbers.
Sure, by todays standards, the resolution is super-low and this everything is grainy and a little painful to look at, but if you can't look beyond that, MoM is probably not the game you ought to play anyway.

Aemar

Arcane

Master of Magic: Caster of Magic

After 25 years Master of Magic gets a DLC! Explore new strategies and experience Master of Magic at its best with Caster of Magic, a new DLC that adds dozens of options and tons of content to the base game. Enjoy the unlimited replayability that Caster of Magic adds to the base game, thanks to hundreds of new settings and an improved wizard customization. Will you dominate your opponents with your new spells and units, or will you surrender?

Caster of Magic started out as a mod, championed by Seravy and building on top of the already popular community patch. Caster of Magic has been a fan favorite of the Master of Magic community and we are pleased to be able to work with Seravy to officially integrate Caster of Magic, giving him the recognition he deserves.
FEATURES
  • Improved wizard customization to provide maximal replayability
  • Improved diplomacy system
  • Extra emphasis on magic spells and fantastic creatures
  • Even more spells and units
  • New city buildings
  • New AI that provides a challenge for even veteran players
  • More difficulty levels
  • Many more map generation options
  • Building queue system for convenient and faster gameplay

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Always avoided this because whenever it was mentioned it was along with the fact that it's incredibly buggy.

Sounds like it's time to dive in, if it's half as good as MoO2 I'll be very happy with it.

Cael

Arcane
The problem is that it encourages larger armies, when in a normal game, you can hit the 1000 global unit cap pretty easily as is. Unless they raised that limit, this will not mean very much...

EruDaan

Arcane
One of the best games ever. Almost every spell, every race and every setting is viable for winning the game. I always wished for a MoM II but the state the industry was from the 2000s turned that wish into something a deranged cultist would babble to summon some Outer God from Beyond the Vail.

But I'm going to give it a try. Compare it with my original CD version that still to this day lies around in my desk together with one of the best handbooks of all time.

Incantatar

Cipher
It's ridiculous how hard this mod has gotten over time. I get my ass handed to me on advanced, when I had no problem with that difficulty before. I love it.

Blake00

Learned
I run the Master of Magic facebook and Discord groups so just had to post in this thread haha! Caster of Magic is brilliant and we were all shocked when Slitherine A-bought the MoM license from Atari's IP dungeon and hinted that they are working on a MoM2 but also B-made a deal with Seravy to sell his Caster of Magic mod as an official addon lol!

As the admin of those groups I 'usually' get all the news tips pretty quick lol so if there are big MoM & CoM fans here then 2 projects that might interest you are:
1. The first is Implodes Master of Magic Multiplayer HD Remake which has been going for around 15 years and this year finally added AI that will put up a pretty good fight! It supports multiplayer, modern resolutions and allows the full 13 wizards in one game for a real slaughterfest!
2. The other is Seravy buoyed on no doubt by the recent success of CoM sales is now working on a Caster of Magic 2 that is built from the ground up in a new engine using his unrivaled knowledge of the internal workings of MoM. Escaping the limitations of original MoM engine this will allow him to also increase the player count up to the full 13 wizards for huge games. Sadly he has no interest in adding multiplayer or high resolution support though, however he talked about releasing source so in theory others could mod such things in.

Cael

Arcane
Are there any mods or remakes that allow you to get past the 1000 unit limit? It gets hilarious when I cover the map with cities, but can only have 2-3 defenders in each or the enemies will have no units at all.

Blake00

Learned
Are there any mods or remakes that allow you to get past the 1000 unit limit? It gets hilarious when I cover the map with cities, but can only have 2-3 defenders in each or the enemies will have no units at all.

It's a good question but sadly you're the first person I've seen ask that so I don't know lol! However 'theoretically' because both Implode and Seravy are building their own engines from the ground up any memory/size limits from the original MoM engine shouldn't be carried over.

Blake00

Learned
Seravy's new Caster of Magic 2 (or Caster of Magic for Windows as Slitherine are calling it) has been officially released on Steam, GoG & Slitherine's own store a few days ago! Sadly my hopes for modern resolutions were dashed (it just stretches 320x200 in a window) so Implode's unfinished Master of Magic HD Multiplayer fan game is still the only one that does true HD stuff, however CoM2 has so many other benefits eg a gazillion bug fixes & balance changes, super smart AI opponents, more spells, more buildings, more advanced game modes & options, and best of all NO MORE 5 PLAYER LIMIT!! So umm 14 Wizards going at it in one game? Yes please!

If people are trying it then free to drop by the Master of Magic fans Facebook and Discord groups to discuss. Seravy himself is kindly answering questions and bug reports on the discord too!

I know some people aren't huge fans of CoM's changes but maybe Slitherine will take Seravy's new engine source and do a 'MoM for Windows' one day too. Probably wishful thinking but you never know! If it never happens then hopefully Implode will finish his MoM rebuild in the coming years.

Familiar but not quite the same ;)
ss_f9549511e095de9fe84f7ecf6482e767554d4900.jpg

14 Wizard carnage incoming
ss_cbeeb7461447e21de59812e476b39ceb2b232d13.jpg

Cool new options
ss_66825770fe5fe4b7a908086a3a6b925d4efc1508.jpg

Looks the same but apparently the new combat AI is naaaasty
ss_c465669d0383f1f1d06bfe447903ff6e2b5895da.jpg

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
hey Blake, thanks for posting! i picked up CoM because a) MoM is one of my favorite games, and b) i wanted to support any efforts towards anything that has to do with MoM. :) i don't know when i'll get around to playing it but i plan on covering it with a Let's Play on my youtube channel. i look forward to seeing the changes!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom