Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best joysticks or controllers of all time?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I tried to look up topic, but couldn't find one, so I'll start with the best joystick ever made: The Arcade by Suzo, here in all of its glory:

IMG_6805.jpg

IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6818.jpg

and here it is from the inside:
suzo_the_arcade.jpg

It had the perfect touch/response in the stick and the button, and IMO the best form/design, it fit the hand very well. Much better than VASTLY overrated Tac-2, which was shit! That's right Tac-2 fanobys, it was shit with shit unresponsive miniscule buttons and pain in the ass to fix because it was filled with leads.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
One of my favorites of all time, the CH Flightstick Pro:

81dMVG-3tIL._SL1500_.jpg

It didn't have a lot of functions -- just the buttons you see and a trigger and 4-way hat -- but what it did do it did very well.

Served me faithfully through several MechWarrior campaigns. <3

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
There is the Xbox 360 controller and everything else. Joysticks suck btw. N64 and Gamecube controllers were appallingly bad. N64 controller was one of the absolute worst. Hurt the shit out of your hands. Gamecube controller was a fucking mess.

I thought this'd be an easy thread where people would talk about how great the XBOX 360 controller is but edgy phaggots galore.

Swampy_Merkin

Learned
Possibly Retarded
The Colecovision Super Action Controller. You wielded it like a nerd set of brass-knuckles.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Colecovi...:8sMAAOSwuOpbVR8N:sc:USPSPriority!45231!US!-1

Or like a longsword with a guard, but a clown-red joy-stick for a blade.

Why the fuck doesn't this still exist?

It was literally like holding a joystick in your hand but you could dish out punishment with the glove-hand buttons.

I can't remember if I ever used the phone-style keypad for anything, but the fact that it was there made me feel like Matthew Broderick in War Games.

That shit was fucking Over-Designed and beautiful, and meaty to hold, and just fucking magical.

Literally my imagination did most of the work with that gorgeous future-fist. (The Rocky III game I had was the only one that used the fist buttons, but it used them perfectly).

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have a fondness for the SNES gamepad and the PS2/3 one. They are simple. Unoriginal. Build quality is okay and most importantly they do not bother trying to be "innovative" focusing instead of just perfect placement of buttons and being entirely functional.

Most of these days I do my non kb+mouse gaming with the X360 pad ; it's okay on its own.

SniperHF

Arcane
The Steam controller is really good, it's very :obviously: as far as controllers go. You can change basically any setting in so many ways you'd need an encyclopedia to keep track of them.
It lacks a second joystick, but anything you need 2 joysticks for you should be playing with a KB/Mouse anyway.

For older controllers I liked the Logitech Cordless Rumble Pad 2 and the Wavebird.

Go lift some weights, that'll fix your beta male hands real quick. Hurt your hands, what the fuck are you talking about?

Mario Party 1. The little ridges on the stick grind your skin off.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Mario Party 1. The little ridges on the stick grind your skin off.
I played Mario Party and I also played Smash and I never had a problem with the ridges; and I smashed the shit out of that little stick. A complete an utter non issue.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
LOL @ the Nintendo ones.

That shit wasn't even designed for humans, it looks like it was made for a different number of appendages than we have.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Gamecube controller is actually not that bad, one of the better more modern gamepads, IMO better than Playstation one, which has a pretty horrible d-pad. SNES controller is maybe a bit too small for adult hands, but the d-pad is very good, I actually bought 8BitDo's SF30Pro controller, which is very closely modeled after the original controller, with the exception of having two analogue sticks and two shoulder buttons on each side. I remember liking the original giant XBox controller, "The Duke" as it is called, but haven't used it since early 2000s so I dunno if it's actually good. It was recently brought back for modern systems, but it's fucking expensive, 70 bucks, not paying that to test it out.

http://www.8bitdo.com/sn30pro-sf30pro/

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Not a joystick I'd consider "best one" but still one that's up there: The Konix Speed King:

konixspeedkingjoystick-2398.jpg

It's designed to be held in the palm of of your left hand so that its fingers will rest on the fire buttons seen on the bottom side, while the right hand handles the stick.

It looks and feels a little ridiculous, but start using it for a while and you'll be hard-pressed to pick up any other kind of joystick. They're also amazingly durable, most Speed Kings I've come across 30+ years later still work fine.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yes, yes, it has to be the 360 controller, comfortable, can be easily used for PC games, and has a cool design too.

go neo-geo or go home.
even if street fighter 2 uber alles, 4 buttons are and must be enough for all your arcade needs.

but my secret wet dream is this:

22BxxTv.jpg

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
One of my favorites of all time, the CH Flightstick Pro:

81dMVG-3tIL._SL1500_.jpg

It didn't have a lot of functions -- just the buttons you see and a trigger and 4-way hat -- but what it did do it did very well.

Served me faithfully through several MechWarrior campaigns. <3
CH makes some the highest quality joysticks and throttles on the market. This one is the cheapest of their lineup, but as you said, it does its work very well. So hats off for mentioning it. :)

One of my favourite is my current joy, which serves me well for 10 years now. Saitek Cyborg Evo. I wouldn't call it the best ever, but it just works as it should:
41VB23K4TJL._SX425_.jpg

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Gamecube controller was a fucking mess.

There's a reason why Nintendo still sells a shitload of GameCube controllers and why every console since the GameCube itself has support for them.
It simply was the best controller of the Sixth generation of video game consoles.
GameCube controller is probably the comfiest and most durable modern gamepad that exists. The only reason it isn't the best one ever made, it's because it doesn't have a left trigger, a select button and the joystick buttons.
serveimage

For PC the best one is obviously the 360 one. It's durable, comfy and relatively cheap.
I bough 2 Chinese replicas from eBay, costed me 12 euros each and lasted for about 4 years.

So I now use this one instead:
serveimage
Bough it on black Friday for about 20 euros, it's does the job quite nicely.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The GameCube controller was just so fun to play with. God damn those top two bumpers were a fucking joy to press, and the way you could slide your thumb from every single one of the four buttons on the right was so fucking satisfying. I still have good memories of busting out tricks on Tony Hawk Underground or doing crazy techs on SSB: Melee. Not only that, but the top stick was so fucking responsive and sharp, and it was contrasted very well with the buttery smoothness of the c-stick. And durable is 100% the right word for it. I've had my GameCube controller for over a decade and it still works like a fucking charm. My piece of shit DualShock 3 started having issues like 3 years in; a testament to the durability of the GameCube controller. DJOGamer is absolutely right about it being the best if it just had a few more buttons.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom