Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best indie game ever?

Vote for the best indie game ever in your opinion

• Total voters

Silva

Arcane
I'm bored so why not? Pick your favourite indie game ever.

By the why, what "kingcomrade" means?

EDIT: Added more options, reconsider your votes.

Last edited:

Vorark

Erudite
FTL is still the best, its pick up and play quality is hard to beat. Great replay value.

Stardew Valley is nice and all but eventually turns into a boring grind, like most HM games. Cave Story is good for one or two playthroughs. No idea about the others.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's a crime that you'd put Hotline Miami 2 alongside its predecessor.

Ocelot

Learned
Voted for FTL because it does many things right. It's not too easy but still easy enough to get into and have fun as a new player. It's graphics are pretty and functional at the same time. The base game has enough content to be fun on it's own but mods also exist. Replayability is infinite and the game is structured in a way that still retains the feeling of progression. You just can't go wrong with this game, even if you don't love roguelikes.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I mean, I know it's in General Gaming, but you'd have thought a 'best ever' question on RPG Codex might have an actual RPG in the options.

No Underrail? No Grimoire? Not even Realms of Arkania HD, (in before ERYFKRAD )

Personally going by my played hours it's Underrail, but then again Mount and Blade became something much bigger thanks to the mods.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Tough choice. I want to pick several choices there, but each for different reasons.

I also want to come up with my own suggestions, and again each for different reasons.

But since There Can Be Only One, I thought it would be best to pick a game that actually has a Highlander in it:

2728814-7740550763-1boxs.jpg

Ocelot

Learned
When did Steam go from "we have a massive collection of quality new and old games" to "pay us 90$ and we'll add your garbage to the pile"?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When did Steam go from "we have a massive collection of quality new and old games" to "pay us 90$ and we'll add your garbage to the pile"?
A little after they started Steam Greenlight. Although they accepted shovelware before, they at least accepted published shovelware.

Farage

Arcane
Patron
I like all the games listed, but my favorites are still vanilla Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy

wyes gull

Savant
Does indie even mean anything anymore? Games twenty years ago were made by a similar number of people with less connections, arguably less money and similarly or smaller sized teams. Are they indies? If you surround yourself with industry people and make a game without a major backer is it still indie just because you did it from your house?
Anywho I voted No Man's Sky because fuck the police. Comin' straight from the underrail. Sean Murray's got it bad cos he's fail.

Repressed Homosexual
No indie game is ever good, there is always something off about any indie game. The only good games are those done with a real team which are physically together and which have an actual budget and publisher.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Does indie even mean anything anymore? Games twenty years ago were made by a similar number of people with less connections, arguably less money and similarly or smaller sized teams. Are they indies? If you surround yourself with industry people and make a game without a major backer is it still indie just because you did it from your house?
Anywho I voted No Man's Sky because fuck the police. Comin' straight from the underrail. Sean Murray's got it bad cos he's fail.

As far as I'm concerned indie devs are anyone who self-finance regardless of size. Garage dev is the meme used to refer to small teams who may or may not be indie.

Ocelot

Learned
No indie game is ever good, there is always something off about any indie game. The only good games are those done with a real team which are physically together and which have an actual budget and publisher.

The opposite is true these days in my opinion. Triple A games with huge dev teams and publishers make games that seem a little off to me, whether it's because they are too cinematic or because they are too bland and shallow or because they are too limited in content because how are we going to sell some DLC down the road otherwise? Big, established companies reuse old ideas and assets instead of creating new things because it's guaranteed sales. Just look at Ubisoft with Assassin's creed and how much they have stretched that story over the course of time.

Indie games have more original ideas because they aren't forced by the marketing department to create something more streamlined. Almost all indie games actually have a considerable amount of content from day 1, DLC or not. And while the indie category has more garbage in it, most of these games actually feel like games and not watered-down products.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom