Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Best combat build for a first timer?

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I want to be a gladiator that gets power armor and kills an ancient alien god.

Do I just put points in Sword/Block/Crit and then just left click to win?? What background/faction should I go with, what attributes are important aside from STR and DEX.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
If he invest on dodge, he can't use a two-hand weapon with power armor. Also, notice that while the imperial armor is OP, it still have lower DR than higher crafted heavy armors, so you can take more damage. Dodge is better than block, but block is insane too.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Axes do more direct damage and depends on how much STR you have. critical strikes improve your chances to do aimed attacks, like arterial strike, etc., and the chances of causing a bleeding effect on a critical strike. It is good. Alchemy gives you the ability to make poison and healing salves on level 2, which is great, and the ability to make liquid fire and other stuff later on, but you are not really choosing between the two because alchemy is a civic ability.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
GOOD
FUCKING
RIDDANCE
[put guitar assault here]

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Swords are great. They can do crazy damage with low STR and cause bleeding all the time, which is basically universal poison. Axes do more direct damage faster, but requires investment on STR, swords don't. A sword-blocker is a viable build, but use critical strike wisely, otherwise you might spread your SPs too thin. But heavy armor and block requires good CON and STR, otherwise the penalties will be too much.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Also, the best civic skills for a fighter are crafting, lore and alchemy.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Spears are not good for a first build. They do low damage and Teron is tough.

Ah, I forgot: bleeding also stacks, which makes swords really powerful.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Remember Dodge is based upon DEX, and Block upon STR, and that could also help in the choice of weapon as their effectiveness depend on those stats too.
Sword+Block isn't the best combination

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
ok, so what exact scores for str, dex and con?

i want to do a traditional (sorta) warrior build, so it's gonna be heavy armor + sword + shield

do i just max str/con/dex/sword/block and call it a day?

also how do i fight multiple enemies

Tigranes

Arcane
"also how do i fight multiple enemies"

Press the awesome button for a whirling multi-directional orgasm

hivemind

max str get like 8 dex and 8 con

you should gas basically anything without any problems that way

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
so... anything else?

i just wanna play an overpowered (min maxed?) build to blaze thru the game

Mozg

Arcane
The most straightforward combat build is max dex, per/strength/con decent, and a melee/dodge as your combat skills. You wear whatever armor lets you keep 12 AP, usually a manica. You don't need any foreknowledge about finding X weapon or Y armor that way. Don't be afraid to switch to a one-hander later in the game.

mushaden

Scholar
How did he get the Teron blacksmith to fight him in that video?

Also, another vote for axe/dodge.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
I want to be a gladiator that gets power armor and kills an ancient alien god.

Do I just put points in Sword/Block/Crit and then just left click to win?? What background/faction should I go with, what attributes are important aside from STR and DEX.

git gud faggit

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Don't wear helmets at the begining. they will hurt your THC.

learn wich fights you can pick first.

the rest is up to you

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
How did he get the Teron blacksmith to fight him in that video?

It used to be that you could enter combat manually in any location, just like in Fallout, Arcanum, Underrail and so forth. It was great fun, but it also tended to mess up the game. For example, killing innocents in Teron should trigger a scene where guards tell you to pack your shit and leave (or fight them, and then leave anyway). Not every NPC was flagged to trigger that scene though, so people used to rampage through Teron killing all the NPCs they could for skill points (used to get one for each kill) or just to boost bodycount. It also led to some weird bugs, I remember killing Carrinas in his office and getting locked inside, and I think some guy got hired by the Commercium in Maadoran despite having butchered Linos and his guards, etc. Ultimately, the game would have been a lot better if the feature to kill any motherfucker remained, but I guess it would also have taken a whole lot of slog to make it actually work.

Black Angel

Arcane
Just look up to Miltiades, he will show you exactly the best combat build of All Time™

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom