Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Balor

Arcane
"Beautiful Desolation"...
I thought that was a thread about the state of adventure gaming in general. :troll:

Anyway, looks good!

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
We should've captured Pyke and tortured him in our dungeon for greadt RPG project(The Bunker) as someone said long ago.
:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

I was actually gonna suggest a while ago that if some codexians wanted to kick around ideas for their 'ultimate RPG' that I would mock up some screenshots for funsies. If people still wanna do it, I cant promise a lot of time - but it could be fun.

Ninjerk

Arcane
We should've captured Pyke and tortured him in our dungeon for greadt RPG project(The Bunker) as someone said long ago.

I was actually gonna suggest a while ago that if some codexians wanted to kick around ideas for their 'ultimate RPG' that I would mock up some screenshots for funsies. If people still wanna do it, I cant promise a lot of time - but it could be fun.
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/your-dream-rpg.121178/

skip to replies written by ninjas, they are much better ideas

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Woot: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2175031

April 2018 Update

Hey Backers,

We had a super trip to the Game Developer Conference in San Francisco last month.
It was great to be surrounded by developers, and listen to interesting talks - it got the creative juices flowing!

843224ad5d501ffb9e0e848489026ab7_original.jpg

24 Hours of travel!

After recovering from jet lag, we're (once again) chained to our desks.

23bfe536551bfaa3a8cb278c1ae7deb4_original.png

Here is a brief look at one of the races in Beautiful Desolation. We've kept this spoiler free!

THE FLEY
The Fley are an advanced people - the pinnacle of technological development in this apocalyptic region. They're infested with a parasite called the 'Brissel Worm', which gives them unique abilities and heightened intelligence. It is said that the 'Brissel Worm' is more Fley than the Fley themselves.

Fley Homeland
6a0245700fe9bbfbb34356d1b6fbeb1f_original.jpg

4d0b9bb91590fc9a2956e71cb6c3093f_original.jpg

2b96e8ac893a2a8d4026dad9f7097328_original.png

Fley Praetor
Do not mistake the head tentacles as decoration or hair, these are in fact the breathing apparatus of the 'Brissel Worm', which burst out of its host organism.

0c18c43a153ddb01baba4c774401ee4b_original.gif

Fley Optio
The Fley possess an incredible array of technology and are a vital cog in The Tribulation.

9f7066b6c354380434ccb32cecbe3a1c_original.gif

Fley IX Drone
The IX Drone is controlled by a neural network operated by an actual Fley brain.

8155727d5c2f94d986f7c6d21ea87f5c_original.gif

Hope you enjoyed this sneak peak!

Take care,

Chris & Nic

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/StasisGame

Like our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/desolationadventure/

OH, BTW!
If you're keen to back another adventure game, then look no further than Jengo!

https://www.fig.co/campaigns/jengo

"In Jengo you play as Jeff, a disgruntled gaming veteran seeking new challenges. Just like you, Jeff is looking for the ultimate game. Little does he know that his search will bring him to a strange, lonely place at the edge of the Pixelverse: a remote town called Old Meta, whose sky is blighted by a large crack which slowly consumes the land..."

Jingo looks awesome and we would love to see it made! So head on over to Fig or click here.

Big Wrangle

The Fley and their homeland are, funnily enough, closer to being Planescape-like than anything Tides of Numenera ever attempted. Regardless, excellent visual direction as always.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh they seem pretty Numenera-esque to be honest. That's not what matters.

Big Wrangle

I worded my point pretty poorly it seems, my bad. They are definitely Numenera-esque in a way, but this direction taken here does harken to the aesthetic of Planescape more successfully.
But I digress, since this is accidental. It still looks fantastic though.

V_K

Arcane
They're infested with a parasite called the 'Brissel Worm', which gives them unique abilities and heightened intelligence
Technically, it's a symbiont rather than parasite, since it's a mutually beneficial relationship.

agris

Arcane
Patron
V_K are you sure the hosts think so?

Pyke great style as always. Can you link to larger versions of those map shots?

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
It all looks so GOOD. I've never been so excited for an adventure game before, but a big part of me still wishes this was an RPG I was looking at. Either way, great work and I very much so look forward to it.

V_K

Arcane
agris, what I'm trying to get across is that having the worm might have been a problem for the first generation of the infected. But the way culture works, given that everyone around is infected and non-infection is not an option, in 2-3 generations that'd be considered the norm and nothing to think about (like we don't think about our gut flora). Plus the update states only the beneficial effects of having the worm, while calling it a parasite would require (by definition of parasitism) that it be harmful (or at least useless) to the host.

agris

Arcane
Patron
agris, what I'm trying to get across is that having the worm might have been a problem for the first generation of the infected. But the way culture works, given that everyone around is infected and non-infection is not an option, in 2-3 generations that'd be considered the norm and nothing to think about (like we don't think about our gut flora). Plus the update states only the beneficial effects of having the worm, while calling it a parasite would require (by definition of parasitism) that it be harmful (or at least useless) to the host.
It could be, I read this part of the update
It is said that the 'Brissel Worm' is more Fley than the Fley themselves.
as if the worm superceded the host's mind, in which case I think describing the relationship as symbiotic would be a stretch.

V_K

Arcane
I thought about that too, but it would contradict the point about the worm giving the host heightened intelligence. I mean, it doesn't make sense to talk about the host's intelligence if it's superceded by the worm.
I read that sentence more in a sense that the whole Fley culture (and their identity) is built around the worms to such an extent that a wormless Fley couldn't be recongnized as a Fley and wouldn't be able to use all the technological stuff they have.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Technically, it's a symbiont rather than parasite, since it's a mutually beneficial relationship.

Mini spoilers below:

Nic and I have actually had this exact conversation. To outsiders the Brissel worm is a parasite, to the Fley...they are undecided. The Brissel worm used to be a death sentence - created through experiments with Penrose technology and Nootropics (cognitive enhancing drugs). However, when it is fully mature, it cracks a hosts skull and burst outwards. The Fley built life support suits that they are confined to once a worm has matured and 'hatched'. Its essentially a parasite that they have learned to control (which I suppose could they turn it into a symbiont).

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
And thanks for the support guys! Sometimes its hard to know if we are on the right track with things. Mild panic always sets in, and goes away when people are happy with what we are doing. :D

agris

Arcane
Patron

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/your-dream-rpg.121178/

skip to replies written by ninjas, they are much better ideas
Hey Pyke, working on any mock-ups? :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom