Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Bocian

Arcane
The frustrating thing with South Africa is that its SUCH an incredible place to live with SUCH a shitty government and a social 'rot' that sits just under the surface.
Post-Apartheid ZA is a sad sight, especially if you look at places like Johannesburg.
fjohannesburg.blogspot.com

Don't know what I'd give to visit this country before ANC took over and started to turn everything to ruin, it had to be such a great place if even now you're calling it incredible. Wish there was a way to stop what's happening now, because taking the power is one thing and attempting an actual genocide is entirely different.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Wish there was a way to stop what's happening now, because taking the power is one thing and attempting an actual genocide is entirely different.

I hear you. I cant tell you how shocking it is to read about how the international community is talking about property expropriation like its anything but a human rights violation on a massive scale.

Bocian

Arcane
I hear you. I cant tell you how shocking it is to read about how the international community is talking about property expropriation like its anything but a human rights violation on a massive scale.
And then you have the usual suspects completely denying the assaults and landgrabs claiming it's "racist alt-right propaganda", or total nutjobs saying the people being attacked deserve it.

As5SV8Z.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
We are always playing around with the interface! The icons can actually be scaled in the games settings, so there is a degree of customization that you can have to get your ideal UI - but Ill bring it up when we do another UI talk!

Great, thank you. To help you understand what motivates my push for this minimalist style, there are two things. One, not having every hotspot instantly shown to you (via the green triangle in this case) forces you to look at a new map in a more critical way. If you played Baldur's Gate, it was like going to Beregost (or Baldur's Gate) for the first time, and passing your mouse over the doors of all the buildings to see which you could go in or not. That little act made us appreciate the map art and geometry more because we were looking at it with a searching or critical eye. To use a term I hate, it "engaged" the player more, and made the maps more memorable simply because there was more time spent looking at them - not rapidly seeking out an icon that identified a door as usable. Two, your artwork is gorgeous and much like a minimalist or no-hud mod for first-person games, reducing superimposed elements over the maps lets us appreciate them more :D (yeah, I went total softball on that one).

Anyway, I'm not suggesting my way is the only way, but supporting it would be appreciated. Green triangles on proximity, full-fledged icon on mouse-over. As an option.

Good to hear about the icon size though, thank you for these concessions. No other developer (except maybe a few on the codex) would even listen to or consider this type of feedback.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Thats his actual accent. :D South African accents are incredibly varied. Often you can even tell what school a person went to based on their accent alone.
When I moved to Cape Town I found it even more apparent - the accent changes here are insane. I took my cat to the vet the other day, and the receptionist actually picked up the area that I grew up in (Edenvale for any South Africans here) from overhearing my conversation with my girlfriend.

I recognize that accent:

Knew it sounded familiar :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Steam page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2290413

September 17 update

Hey post-apoc adventure gamers!
We've created a detailed version of the Penrose mark from BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION that showcases the look and feel of the world. What do you think?

4853b0a2d3c3a2929a80038e0cb6fb11_original.png

The COMING SOON Steam page has also been launched - it includes a few new screenshots. Check it out:

https://store.steampowered.com//app/912570

https://store.steampowered.com//app/912570

Thanks for the support that you've given us. We really do appreciate it.

Chris & Nic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess this is officially a thing now, huh?

WISH LIST NOW!
bannerCTO2.jpg

ABOUT THIS GAME

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION
is a 2D isometric adventure game set in the distant future. Explorea post-apocalyptic landscape, solve puzzles, meet new friends and make powerful enemies,mediate conflicts and fight for your life as you unravel the secrets of the world around you.

FEATURING

• P&C Puzzles and classic adventure gameplay.
  • An 80's retro technology look and feel.
  • A story-drive adventure set in a dystopian post-apocalyptic future.
  • A unique tribal punk aesthetic and 2D isometric rendered environments.
  • African landscapes captured with photogrammetry and scale model elements.
  • Bizarre creatures, animals and vibrant characters await.

FIND YOUR BROTHER AND GET HOME...

Mark, a man out of time, searches for his lost brother Don, in a far-flung futuristic era ruled by highly advanced technologies which are both revered and reviled.

BD_Wishlist_Trailer.2018-09-17_09_47_37.jpg

Your surroundings hold echoes of a desolate past, and glimpses of a dark future that has yet to be written by your actions. Be prepared to face many tough choices that will shape this land long after you complete your journey.

BD_Wishlist_Trailer.2018-09-17_09_46_54.jpg

The inhabitants of this world will help and hinder you, as you make new discoveries and navigate the spectacular African-inspired landscape. Negotiate your passage with local leaders, healers and warriors, or find yourself embroiled in a battle against nanite swarms, enormous scorpions and rocket-equipped robots.

BD_Wishlist_Trailer.2018-09-17_09_42_22.jpg

From thriving villages to crumbling cities, petrified forests and bone-dry ocean beds, this strange new world holds a multitude of terrains to uncover, beautifully rendered in 2D isometric art.

BD_Wishlist_Trailer.2018-09-17_09_27_28.jpg

The score is masterfully crafted by composer Mick Gordon, known for his work on Wolfenstein®, DOOM®, Prey®, Killer Instinct® and Need for Speed®.

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION™ is brought to you by THE BROTHERHOOD™, the studio behind STASIS® and CAYNE®.

penrose.png

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How will the wishlist discount work? Everybody who wishlists gets a coupon when the game comes out?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
How will the wishlist discount work? Everybody who wishlists gets a coupon when the game comes out?

No coupon - but we will be running a discount for the first few days of release - which obviously if you wish list you'll get notified of the discount sale. :D

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

No coupon - but we will be running a discount for the first few days of release - which obviously if you wish list you'll get notified of the discount sale. :D

lol

Good trick I guess, but I have to rename the thread now. :P

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

Steam doesn't give us access to the list of people who Wish list - just the numbers. Its a good thing cos I think that developers would spam Wishlist's with coupons and announcements - but it would be awesome to have a way to directly support people who added you to their Wishlist's early. If that does change between now and release we will let you know.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Steam doesn't give us access to the list of people who Wish list - just the numbers. Its a good thing cos I think that developers would spam Wishlist's with coupons and announcements - but it would be awesome to have a way to directly support people who added you to their Wishlist's early. If that does change between now and release we will let you know.

You could do a thing where the game gets a discount (permanent or temporary) based on the total number of wishlists, like Bard's Tale 4 and Grimoire.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
The combat is 100% optional, and will actually alter the way that you are perceived in the world and change how the story unfolds.

Psycho route confirmed.

Still a while away, but Wishlisting helps a ton on release!

GOG version when?

GOG need a playable BETA build before they add it to their system, so we cant officially say GOG just yet - but we have a really good relationship with them so I cant see much of an issue with the GOG version - but it would only be confirmed much closer to release.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer

You could do a thing where the game gets a discount (permanent or temporary) based on the total number of wishlists, like Bard's Tale 4 and Grimoire.

Im watching those things VERY closely to see how well they work out! Its a very cool idea - but Im always wary about permanent discounts with Kickstarter games on release. Like I would hate for our backers to feel screwed over if the release price is super discounted from their backing amount.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Im watching those things VERY closely to see how well they work out! Its a very cool idea - but Im always wary about permanent discounts with Kickstarter games on release. Like I would hate for our backers to feel screwed over if the release price is super discounted from their backing amount.

Also, your games are actually good, is it worth diminishing pedigree with ((huge)pre release) discounts normally reserved for shit games?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Combat looks pretty too. Optional or not, Imma burn some stuff

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom