Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Coma White

Educated
They said numerous times that they will bring over the updates made to the engine...but waiting and waiting is all we do. While they try to get permission to add more homosexuals to more games.

And meanwhile you can buy the original IWD for half or even a fraction of the EE's price. It's not so much a question of quality as other posters have pointed out. It's a question of value -- and again, whether you wish to support Beamdog's overall development efforts (which I do not wish to do).

Theldaran

Liturgist
Well, as long as you can generate your own homosexuals, and don't have shitty writing forced upon you... :smug:

hell bovine

Arcane
They said numerous times that they will bring over the updates made to the engine...but waiting and waiting is all we do. While they try to get permission to add more homosexuals to more games.

And meanwhile you can buy the original IWD for half or even a fraction of the EE's price. It's not so much a question of quality as other posters have pointed out. It's a question of value -- and again, whether you wish to support Beamdog's overall development efforts (which I do not wish to do).
Gog bundles those two together now, I'm not sure where you can get the original alone (if on cd, then it's not worth it, because the digital version installs so much quicker and without the hassle of swapping discs). As for value, I consider it worth it, because the original content is preserved, while the added options convenient.

I wonder whether the upcoming (if it ever arrives) patch adds some of the Siege combat options, because frankly, IWD monsters could use some beefing up.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yeah, but since you create your own party, IWD writing was untouched (as far as I know), so Amber couldn't put her filthy SJW hands into it and ruin it. Last time I checked Larrel was the same as always and wasn't wearing rainbow attire.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Well, as long as you can generate your own homosexuals, and don't have shitty writing forced upon you... :smug:

At least Amber Scott is gone. Seeing her smug SJW face filled me with jihadist rage. And I'm trying to be moderate.

Yes, I think she is a definite case of addition by subtraction. But as far as SJW goes, Gaider is now their lead writer/designer/whatever, so I don't think that's changing.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
I just rolled a party with a barbarian, an avenger Druid, a cleric of helm, an undead hunter, a shadow dancer, and a wild Mage. On a scale of 1-oh shit, how fucked am I on hard difficulty?

Theldaran

Liturgist
I just rolled a party with a barbarian, an avenger Druid, a cleric of helm, an undead hunter, a shadow dancer, and a wild Mage. On a scale of 1-oh shit, how fucked am I on hard difficulty?

Why the wild mage? Fuck wild mages. Burn them all.

I feel the Berserker kit is better than the Barb. But the Barb is a nicer character. The Undead Hunter is very nice since there is a chapter full of them, has little rules downsides and there's a very nice sword in the game for Palatanks. The rest seems okay.

Krivol

Magister
Well there is no room to use most useful undead hunter skill - level drain resist, as there are no draining enemies (IIRC) but as there are no mage fights Inquisitor is even more useless, so undead hunter is good choice.

Avenger may be useful, but then I would put fighter (few levels and dual) in cleric as 3 frontliners are a bit better than 2 IMO . Oh and marksman (or whatever this ranger sub-calss is called) is incredible in ID1.

hell bovine

Arcane
You've got two strong melee classes, and two good divine spellcasters (the druid spell list is very nice, unlike in BG), so you should be okay. If you want more power for the party, then I'd suggest swapping the shadowdancer for a fighter/thief, and if you want less frustration, then change the wild mage for a sorcerer. This is not because of wild surges (I actually like the added element of surprise; magic should be dangerous and unpredictable), but IWD is well known for being scarce on mage scrolls, and the EE keeps it that way.
edit: Alternatively, you could swap the wild mage for a bard. You don't need that much arcane spellpower, but IWD is melee heavy, so the bard songs are useful with a full party. I think the bard kits loose out on IWD songs, so a pure bard might be better than a kit.

Wayward Son

The thing is that my party is based off of my DnD group and my friend made a joke about me being a wild Mage if I was to be any class, so I made him a wild Mage for revenge.

Theldaran

Liturgist
The thing is that my party is based off of my DnD group and my friend made a joke about me being a wild Mage if I was to be any class, so I made him a wild Mage for revenge.

Just think that Neera is a wild mage too *shiver*

Also, a Wild Mage doesn't have to be goofy crazy. He could be one that harnesses that power, he's gotta be reckless and risk-prone, but not necessarily a nutjob.

hell bovine

Arcane
In that case, keep him, but remember that it takes looking into every nook and cranny to find those spell scrolls. :) Also, in order no to waste those precious bits of magical paper, either get your mage drunk on potions of genius before attempting to learn them, or temporally lower the difficulty.

Wayward Son

So, are characters supposed to move slower than a great grandmother with arthritis, or why the hell is this game lagging so hard on moving my characters? BG 1 was not like this. It took me a minute and a half or more to get to Pomab's from the starting inn.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I'm a massive fanboy of IWD, I can tell you almost anything you want to know about the game. Unfortunately I haven't understood a single word anyone has spoken for the last umpteen posts. There's your difference between the original and the EE :)

Dude, ignore the retards and get a disk of ebay and it'll run smooth as you like. I recommend not even installing Heart of Winter, just go with the base game, any edition newer than a year or two after release will have sorted most bugs.

Oh shit, this is the EE thread not the normal thread, my bad *exits stage left*.

Coma White

Educated
Gog bundles those two together now, I'm not sure where you can get the original alone (if on cd, then it's not worth it, because the digital version installs so much quicker and without the hassle of swapping discs). As for value, I consider it worth it, because the original content is preserved, while the added options convenient.

I wonder whether the upcoming (if it ever arrives) patch adds some of the Siege combat options, because frankly, IWD monsters could use some beefing up.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Classic-Anthology-PC/dp/B005JQ064A

You're telling me the Enhanced Edition alone is worth the price of every IE game ever made, PLUS The Temple of Elemental Evil?

You shouldn't mislead the public like this.

Wayward Son

Just think that Neera is a wild mage too *shiver*

Also, a Wild Mage doesn't have to be goofy crazy. He could be one that harnesses that power, he's gotta be reckless and risk-prone, but not necessarily a nutjob.
For role playing reasons, I made him Chaotic Evil. (The best anyone beside the paladin got was Chaotic Neutral.)

Wayward Son

So, can anyone actually help me with the movement lag? I did what a dev said to do on the Beamdog site, but that at best did nothing and at worst, exacerbated it. If I can't find a solution to this, then I'm gonna refund my money and get some random game off of Steam. I'm fucking pissed now.
Edit: I do have Intel integrated blah blah, if that changes anything.
Edit 2: The weird thing is, this rig still runs BG:EE perfect. There is no reason that IWD:EE should be any different.

Coma White

Educated
So, can anyone actually help me with the movement lag? I did what a dev said to do on the Beamdog site, but that at best did nothing and at worst, exacerbated it. If I can't find a solution to this, then I'm gonna refund my money and get some random game off of Steam. I'm fucking pissed now.

I have never heard of or encountered this problem in IWD, but I have never played the EE. I can personally attest that my non-EE copy of IWD runs perfectly on my modern setup. IMO your best bet would be (surprise surprise) refunding the Enhanced Edition and getting your hands on a vastly cheaper and more stable non-EE version of the game.

Wayward Son

I have never heard of or encountered this problem in IWD, but I have never played the EE. I can personally attest that my non-EE copy of IWD runs perfectly on my modern setup. IMO your best bet would be (surprise surprise) refunding the Enhanced Edition and getting your hands on a vastly cheaper and more stable non-EE version of the game.
The only problem with this is that I was using a gift card to get the money to get this, so I don't get my money back. And I don't have much money for games outside of the money there, so yeah. Good idea, but unable to be done. (I will probably end up refunding this and getting JA2 or some shit.)

Coma White

Educated
Edit 2: The weird thing is, this rig still runs BG:EE perfect. There is no reason that IWD:EE should be any different.

If memory serves, Black Isle made some fairly significant changes to the IE when developing IWD (3D spell effects, some other things, etc). Seeing as how Beamdog re-released IWD basically to squeeze the license for money (it doesn't tie into their "grand" designs for Baldur's Gate in the future, and their post-launch support for it has been severely lacking), it's not surprising. These shills can't even figure out how to "enhance" Icewind Dale II.

The only problem with this is that I was using a gift card to get the money to get this, so I don't get my money back. And I don't have much money for games outside of the money there, so yeah. Good idea, but unable to be done. (I will probably end up refunding this and getting JA2 or some shit.)

This is totally understandable. Check my earlier post if you want IWD (and every IE game for that matter) at a VERY low price, if you can stomach physical media.

Wayward Son

memory serves, Black Isle made some fairly significant changes to the IE when developing IWD (3D spell effects, some other things, etc). Seeing as how Beamdog re-released IWD basically to squeeze the license for money (it doesn't tie into their "grand" designs for Baldur's Gate in the future, and their post-launch support for it has been severely lacking), it's not surprising. These shills can't even figure out how to "enhance" Icewind Dale II.
Thing is, anything I can find about this on the interwebz says that the problem should apply to ALL EEs.

Coma White

Educated
Thing is, anything I can find about this on the interwebz says that the problem should apply to ALL EEs.

You're right -- it should. But the EEs are notoriously unstable. This is just one of numerous reasons myself and many, many people on here continue to default to the original releases and encourage others to do the same. Beamdog did NOT make these games, and they are not committed to supporting them equally, despite what they claim.

"Buyer beware", I'm afraid.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom