Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Do they have access to the original background art, or is this going to have that awful blurry version?

A user named cat

Right off the bat, fonts look like oversized shit for retards. Backgrounds don't look too muddy though, surprisingly. Then again, all those screenshots are pretty dark. Wouldn't give these dicks $2 for rehashing old games I already played enough a decade ago.

purpleblob

Savant
Why the hell do we need *enhanced* version of IWD1? The game is the masterpiece as it is! Why the hell is Beamdog continue this atrocity of altering the games I love for the worse? For the record, there's already a mod that allows you to play IWD with BG2 engine:

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showforum=155

If Beamdog must continue this pointless path of wasting resources, I was hoping they would rather work on PS:T....... because, you know, that games needs more facelifting than any other IE games....

SniperHF

Arcane
The lulz of Beamdog's take on Avellone Style companions would be hysterical if they ever managed to do a PS:T EE.
But the IP of Torment is in a far more dubious state with Planescape being buried and InXile having a say on the Torment half. So it's hard to say if Trent could get his claws on that.

jdinatale

Cipher
I wish they would have companions like Dorn from BG:EE that you could recruit if your party had 5 or fewer party members, who each had their own story and quests.

eremita

Savant
IWD series is not worth it.

EDIT: Although chaning the rules to 3.5 edition in IWD2 would be pretty awesome.

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
This seems like a good time to ask: how good are the enhanced editions of BG and BG2? Excellent? Pretty good? Good? Decent? Average? Bad? Disgraceful? Steaming piles of shit?

I've been thinking of replaying BG and BG2, and I want to know if these enhanced editions are worth my money. I've been skeptical of this stuff ever since AOE2 HD ran like shit on my PC. But sure, different devs. So what do you guys think?
They're pretty good now (horrible when released) and Trent and his comrades are still patching it (even the first one, which is cool).

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Playing with kits in IWD1 is intriguing but Beamdogs and they haven't suckered me yet they won't now.

I'd rather pay another $250 for a xp less PE than touch Beamndog's desperate trash.

\

i also guess they got stuck remaking IWD because their bosses haven't been impressed enoguh to give them a BG3 to ruin.

haen

Novice
Well, there is one interesting thing - apparently Linux version is planned from the start. A now I've found that Linux support for BG1:EE and BG2:EE is still on schedule. So the real question is - is there De-Enhanced Mod for BG1/BG2:EE which removes any BeamDog travesties (I don't know - new NPCs?) and gives us vanilla (sans bugs) BG1/BG2? Or maybe modders doesn't give a fuck about all this enhanced stuff?

I know that I can try to use Wine but it's hit and miss.

eremita

Savant
Well, there is one interesting thing - apparently Linux version is planned from the start. A now I've found that Linux support for BG1:EE and BG2:EE is still on schedule. So the real question is - is there De-Enhanced Mod for BG1/BG2:EE which removes any BeamDog travesties (I don't know - new NPCs?) and gives us vanilla (sans bugs) BG1/BG2? Or maybe modders doesn't give a fuck about all this enhanced stuff?

I know that I can try to use Wine but it's hit and miss.
The new content is not a big deal really. It's just couple of NPCs with their own quest, so you just don't recruit them and that's it...

Athelas

Arcane
All this time the enemy was in our midst...

All kidding aside, are there any plans for a PS:T enhanced edition?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All this time the enemy was in our midst...

All kidding aside, are there any plans for a PS:T enhanced edition?
That would be fun. It differs so much from BG and IWD, it would be interesting to see how are they trying to hamfist new NPCs into the game.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Story mode aside, it seems like IWD:EE is closer to what the BG:EEs should have been: an enhanced, comprehensive compilation of the best improvements the community has created over the years, as opposed to "Trent and Cameron's fan fiction mod".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, I detest BG:EE/BG2:EE, but I'm not sure I feel the same towards this one. There is no BG2 port of IWD, and if they manage that plus some other interesting stuff, I guess I'm game. All the problems that plagued the idea of enhanced editions of BG and BG2 don't really plague IWD in the same way.

I just finished replaying IWD (and almost finished IWD2 for the third time... still couldn't stomach the late mid-game... it really sucks), but I would go again with those kinds of changes though.

It does beg the question however... how will they balance kits and spells from BG2 in the IWD environment?

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Story mode aside, it seems like IWD:EE is closer to what the BG:EEs should have been: an enhanced, comprehensive compilation of the best improvements the community has created over the years, as opposed to "Trent and Cameron's fan fiction mod".

Story Mode can be turned on/off at any time. It's not something that you pick at the start and are stuck with for the remainder of your playthrough.

For veteran players, the Heart of Fury mode (from the original game) is there as well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Well, I detest BG:EE/BG2:EE, but I'm not sure I feel the same towards this one. There is no BG2 port of IWD, and if they manage that plus some other interesting stuff, I guess I'm game. All the problems that plagued the idea of enhanced editions of BG and BG2 don't really plague IWD in the same way.

I just finished replaying IWD (and almost finished IWD2 for the third time... still couldn't stomach the late mid-game... it really sucks), but I would go again with those kinds of changes though.

It does beg the question however... how will they balance kits and spells from BG2 in the IWD environment?
It is still cheaper to mod the vanilla game though, even if you can't use the BG2 engine.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom