Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Balance and combat design just as much a part of IWD as the soundtrack, scenery and the characters. There already is a difficulty slider for casual gamers.

:happytrollboy:

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
And i'm not sure what the "Story Mode" crap even means.

That was answered on the official forums. In Story Mode, your characters are completely invulnerable.

edit for the doubters and h8ers: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/538113/#Comment_538113

I haven't been following the, nothing at all and decided to check out this thread. I wished I hadn't.

Yep, I'm outta here.

U7IaMMFoVwo7u.gif

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not sure if this is replying to me, but I don't disagree. Just strikes me as weird for a game that's specifically about the combat encounters. Either way, the "imo" was meant to point out that it was my opinion. It's not like I'm going to sit in Bubbles' home and make sure he plays it the way I'd like.

I'm with sbb, I have no issue with your posts. Lyric Suite was 'just a tad' overbearing... Seriously, advising someone what they should be doing with their time = dumb.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Tell me about unlimited time again when you have four kids, a 1/4 million in debt, a wife going through menopause, and an annual cancer scare. I'd rather play through IWD in 5 great and enjoyable hours than spend 20 miserable hours trying to get past chapter 2.

Not to get personal, but I can't help but feel your personal debt and your lazy attitude towards games may be related.

purpleblob

Savant
IWDII:EE? Will likely happen, easy cash for them, but I think this IE game is the least in need of an EE.

Bringing Planescape:Torment to a modern audience might be a good thing, but it's a very different world and game, I think a lot of people WON'T enjoy all the reading...

I hope they don't do NWN:EE. It doesn't need an EE.

And no BG3... Seriously, get on the 'create your own IP' bandwagon, hire a (couple) super creative mind(s), if they don't already have them, and create an interesting and different world... Maybe do an inXile and lease the PoE engine then modify as required (and come up with a better combat system, shouldn't be too hard...).

I disagree, I think IWD2 is the one that needs enhancement the most. Have you played it recently on modern system? My game lagged so much, the combat which is already a clusterfuck in IE games was worse. Considering IWD is combat heavy, needless to say it was fucking painful and not enjoyable. I initially had same issues with other IE games, but it was all fixed once you turn on 3D acceleration (this option is not available in IWD2 as far as I know, unless I'm wrong).

I think Beamdog working on PS:T will only end in tears... in fact, I don't really want anyone to touch it ESPECIALLY if they want to additional contents. No thank you. If anyone work on PS:T, it should be graphics and UI only, don't touch other contents.

And yes, couldn't agree more with BG3. NO BG3 EVER. Let it be.

Don't really care about NWN... but it should be left alone as due to sheer amount of mods out there.

Bubbles said:
If they wait until December, they can go straight to work on PoE:EE.

Wouldn't mind that :)

I disagree, I think IWD2 is the one that needs enhancement the most. Have you played it recently on modern system? My game lagged so much, the combat which is already a clusterfuck in IE games was worse. Considering IWD is combat heavy, needless to say it was fucking painful and not enjoyable. I initially had same issues with other IE games, but it was all fixed once you turn on 3D acceleration (this option is not available in IWD2 as far as I know, unless I'm wrong).
Hey man, I got the GOG.com version a few months ago and finished it. I didn't have issues with it, ran fine. I think in some ways, despite it being more or less my least favourite, it is the most polished of the IE games, and I can't really think of any significant enhancing they could do to it to justify an EE.

I think Beamdog working on PS:T will only end in tears... in fact, I don't really want anyone to touch it ESPECIALLY if they want to additional contents. No thank you. If anyone work on PS:T, it should be graphics and UI only, don't touch other contents.
I agree on not adding content. PS:T is just one of those unique creations. Agree on UI and higher res.

And yes, couldn't agree more with BG3. NO BG3 EVER. Let it be.
Amen. :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You guys are so easily trolled.

IWDII:EE? Will likely happen, easy cash for them.

JS: Without getting too technical, what is the nature of differences between Icewind Dale II and Icewind Dale? Any specific examples of challenges that have to be overcome?

TO
: Icewind Dale II implemented the 3rd Edition rules and has a completely different UI scheme. We're really not sure how deep those changes run. The move to 3rd Edition rules would invalidate all the character classes and require a pretty thorough rework of the entire game to bring in the features from our Infinity Plus Engine. At minimum, nightmares abound.

I don't think that will stop them. If anything they'll treat it as a 'new' EE project, if you get what I mean, instead of lumping it in the same Infinity 'Plus' Engine as BG, BGII and IWD. That'll get rid of most of the 'nightmares'.

Same will prob go for PS:T.

It will, if they think there's not enough demand to justify the investment.

Although of course there's the question of what else they could possibly do with their time.

I think they're 'all in'. The same could have been said of IWD, but you do make a good point. Time will tell. :)

RandomAccount

Again...

Lots and lots of people claiming IWD is 'combat heavy'...

IN COMPARISON TO WHAT EXACTLY?

What is this VAST list of RPGs which have bare bones combat and genuinely endearing stories that hold the attention better than combat?

(yeah, ok, PS:T - well, that's ONE game)

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
And no BG3... Seriously, get on the 'create your own IP' bandwagon, hire a (couple) super creative mind(s), if they don't already have them, and create an interesting and different world... Maybe do an inXile and lease the PoE engine then modify as required (and come up with a better combat system, shouldn't be too hard...).

LOL WHAT?!!

They were incapable of doing ANYTHING with the Infinity engine in over a YEAR other than replacing the sound playing algorithm and introducing the scaling algorithm, which ended up working after another half a year of bug fixing. How do you figure they'd be able to actually MAKE a game? Lol.

Hm, what else did they achieve? Let's see... smudgy blurred UI. And.... Oh, that's it.

No, I'm forgetting something. They also made it impossible to use custom font mods (cause decided to change the font files format), and the fonts that they provide are utterly disgusting, don't resemble BG's original fonts at all.

AND they made their janitors voice act for the "characters" from the Black Pits II. The janitors also got paid a $5 bonus if they (inadequately) imitated some european accent - german, scandinavian, french, didn't matter, anything went.

And that's the extent of their capabilities.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
If the game has the capability of you playing god mode, I don't see why someone should be discouraged from using it like it's "wrong". He doesn't *need* to find a less demanding hobby, his less demanding option is right there in his hobby of choice.

No game should have the option for god mode built in. God mode is for testing, not playing. If you are playing god mode you should just end your worthless existence and save some precious air for the rest of us who aren't retards. What the fuck has this place coming to anyway? Has the decline finally broke us, so that we no longer have any standards? Fuck this shit and fuck anybody who supports it.

Untermensch

Augur
I just can't believe this :lol: ....

A mode where your characters are in permanent God mode in a game where 99% time is spent fighting.

It seems gaming is steadily drilling through rock bottom.

sbb

Learned
Man, the god mode thing is NOT a big deal, nor is it decline. It's entirely optional.

edit: though yeah, could have chosen a better game for this

Untermensch

Augur
could have chosen a better game for this

That's the thing. If they put this mod in, say, Planescape Torment(Which they most likely will) then I'd understand. I'd still complain about it, and I wouldn't buy it, but it wouldn't be completely missing the point of the game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Don't let those 8 brofists go to your head, Bester.
Trent fangirl, please. At least next time try to hide the fact that you ran out of positive things to say about beamdog before even starting to list them. The company literally made 0 games and sucks at overhauling, which is its own name. Sucking at what you're called... That's a new level of sucking.

sbb

Learned
Don't let those 8 brofists go to your head, Bester.
Trent fangirl, please. At least next time try to hide the fact that you ran out of positive things to say about beamdog before even starting to list them. The company literally made 0 games and sucks at overhauling, which is its own name. Sucking at what you're called... That's a new level of sucking.
Lol, "Trent fanboy." I've never even played the EEs, never heard of Trent himself before this thread.

sbb

Learned
Yours isn't much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom