Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That sword existed in IWD but the bard deal didn't, it's from http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-iu_iwd.html

I popped in this thread to bring attention to the fact that Josh Sawyer has spent more time on IWD:EE than Original Sin or Wasteland 2. Pretty damning of those two things. :smug:

He might be using it for work research purposes (see how things work in another recently released RTwP game)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Seems to be new. 37k sounds pointlessly extortionate.
It isn't. It was a magic sword added through Heart of Winter. He put them all in Conlan's shop because gameplay>verisimilitude.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
I popped in this thread to bring attention to the fact that Josh Sawyer has spent more time on IWD:EE than Original Sin or Wasteland 2.

This makes me happy (not that he prefers IWD:EE to the other games, just the fact that he's playing it).

We gave out a bunch of Steam keys to everyone at Obsidian who had worked on the original game. I'm very glad that the original developers are finding the EE enjoyable.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And now he admits that no one liked this decision and he will change it for PoE. :roll:
I'm skeptical of your claim. It was necessary to be able to fill in the gaps through store-bought items considering IWD's randomized loot. Ideally these weapons would be spread through shopkeepers all throughout the game, as they were in IWD2, but they had to work within the constraints of the original design.

It is true that most people would rather use found weapons than actually buy them.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Actually Sseth's (sp?) closest contender is a guaranteed drop as well, as long as you're willing to murder that poor werewolf ranger.
What's so good about the Messenger of Seth bow? There are several better bows, those that give extra attacks per round, with Hammer +4 (4 attacks per round, from said ranger or as random drop) being the best.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Number of attacks>bonuses and I wasn't aware that there are several bows with extra attacks in the game? Yes, I already mentioned Hammer +4, but not many people will get it while Sseth is a guaranteed drop pretty early in the game.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I just finished replaying the game with a mod that lets you choose which of the random drop you pick when you meet one (pretty cool when you replay the game for the thousandth time) and I only remember messenger of Sseth and Hammer + 4 giving extra attacks, so those are arguably the two best bows of the game. But AFAIC the best ranged weapon I found was this one :
9lFATMp.jpg

Last edited:

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
shortbowofebullience.jpg

longbowplus3repeater.jpg

so much for other bows with +attacks, but even something like this:

longbowplus2defender.jpg

is preferable over the Sseth bow imo. Sure, at the time you get the bow of Sseth it's certainly the best bow you have found thus far. The messenger of Sseth doesn't give extra attacks, it only has +1 dmg, +2 thac0 after all. OK, it has good initiative.

messengerofsseth.jpg

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Oh yeah, I forgot the first one, didn't use it for the -2 to CON and -50% fire penalty, but I never saw the second one (would have used over the messenger of Sseth if I did). And yes, messenger of Sseth does give an extra attack even if it's not clearly stated. AC bonus on a bow sounds cool but is pretty useless IMHO, archers are rarely targeted.

Last edited:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Playing the game>pasting info from the net, Sseth does give extra attacks and is better than the bows you pasted because of it.

Edit: Wait, that first bow does look great, but I didn't recall it being in the game. I checked and it's from that mini add on I never played. Yeah, it looks better.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone else feel like the tooltip text is one increment too small (on the font size slider) for the corresponding dialogue/combat font size? It's very noticeable when playing with t

Melcar

Arcane
I don't think the Sseth bow gives you extra attacks. In the original I don't think. It's just "super fast" as in probably has a speed factor of 1. Did not try in EE since I sold that shit as soon as I got it. And yeah, there are better bows in the game, most of them random drops.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Messenger of Seth is a good bow, there's no doubt, but the downside as you go through the game is that it's hindered by a lowly +1/+2 stat, making even a slower +3/+5 attractive later in the game. A good way to test is to reload against something quite strong, like an Ettin, for example, and see which of the two take it down quickest. I often used the regenerating Ettins to help me qualitatively judge my gear and characters against each other.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
One important thing in favour of more attacks per round is that each hit stalls the enemies, via a recoil animation, slowing them down/giving them less opportunity to act.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
kk I did err, if the Sseth bow does give another attack it's one of the better bows in game. Nothing beats another 2d6 acid arrow per round!

Melcar

Arcane
Messenger of Seth is a good bow, there's no doubt, but the downside as you go through the game is that it's hindered by a lowly +1/+2 stat, making even a slower +3/+5 attractive later in the game. A good way to test is to reload against something quite strong, like an Ettin, for example, and see which of the two take it down quickest. I often used the regenerating Ettins to help me qualitatively judge my gear and characters against each other.

With Archer bonuses it wouldn't be much of a problem, but since attacks per round are capped at 5 (haven't tried to go further to be honest, just read it somewhere) you are better off with other bows.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
That was something that was debated when the game came out but I've no idea what answer people came to.

kmonster would know, or at least that's who I would listen to first on the subject.

Xeon

Augur
I started a solo Cleric/Ranger and for some reason if you use Sanctuary after the enemies see you, the enemies will follow you wherever you go and surround you. I made a Sorcerer and cheat leveled him up and same thing, they still do that even with Invisibility on. Also I think they follow you even if you send Summons and you are invisible they show up where you are standing and surround you but I am not completely sure.

Melcar

Arcane
Have not encountered that yet with my f/m/t. Bug probably? Then again I'm not sure since I rarely use Invisibility during combat (that's for fags).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom