Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
As long as SoD has good encounters, good itemization and isn't totally linear, I'm sure it's worth buying. And since aVENGER (I don't know if other modders had a hand in it, though) made the coolest encounter in any IE, the Chosen of Cyric, which also has plenty of cool items

Whenever I could spare some time from my management duties, I worked on item balance, encounter design and combat AI in SoD.

I will also say that CoC fans might be interested in a certain optional encounter in SoD. And since Fallout (the first one) is my favorite cRPG of all time, observant players may also notice a few, small things that were inspired by it.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
aVENGER What are the difficulty settings going to do in SoD? And what did they do in BG:EE/BG2:EE compared to the original releases (which I'm not even sure I remember, I think they were just flat damage increases/decreases, no new enemies or increase to xp received. Could be wrong, I just tend to go straight for SCS in BGs so haven't even looked at it for awhile)? Looking around I noticed that IWD:EE had the difficulty settings improved by adding options in-game to lose the damage increase (which was only in the config file for standard edition) and the bonus xp (which you couldn't alter at all in standard) while keeping the altered encounters that the higher difficulties brought which means I will give that EE a go if I ever want to play IWD again. Any chance SoD, like IWD, will be altering encounters based on difficulty?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
"No. No, it isn't."
Sure it is.

Not defending Beamdog here but here you are giving them a hard time over some rather trivial matters, and yet you'll forgive pretty much anything Obsidian does regarding Pillars of Eternity.

Talk about double standards.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Because all Beamdog i spam old games and tries to pass them off as new and better. Obsidian atcually makes fukkin' games. LMFAO.

imweasel

Because all Beamdog i spam old games and tries to pass them off as new and better. Obsidian atcually makes fukkin' games. LMFAO.
I'd rather have a new campaign for an amazing 15 year old game than some new garbage. :)

:d1p:

BTW, who is aVENGER? Maybe Trent, Cameron or Phil? Just curious.

Perkel

Arcane
Would be good if SoD would be awesome. because:

- awesome game is awesome
- new RPG (we want that streak to continue don't we ?)
- beamdog getting good reputation

Especially that last part is important. Why ? Because if they will create good RPG expansion then they will have green light to run their own kickstarter for entirely new game, like inXile they could work some things with obsidian and get that avesome renderer going on for their game.

At that point there would be 3 games running that engine ( possible in future more) which would be awesome for modding community as well as developement costs for all studios using that engine like in case of IE games earlier.
Adding new studio to growing list of studios doing rpgs in old good style is always good thing.

Shevek

Arcane
Not defending Beamdog here but here you are giving them a hard time over some rather trivial matters, and yet you'll forgive pretty much anything Obsidian does regarding Pillars of Eternity.

Talk about double standards.
I dont hate the things you hate. I dont need my rpgs to play like rts or mobas. I dont hate rewarding positioning.

I do question a group of modders calling themselves developers and being unable to implement trivial shit.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I may hate the Engagement system, but it is only a minor issue with the gameplay (that can be disabled with our mod). There are far worse issues.

TBH I agree with not adding Ascension by default - they have a point there. AFAIK it's David Gaider's mod and up to David Gaider to update it for BG2:EE (which I can't imagine him doing).

Regarding the weapon set issue - the Pillars of Eternity devs also stated they would like to have Icewind Dale 2 style weapon set switching .... does the game OR the expansion have it? No.

Why would you want to even play BG2:EE anyway? IMO Modded BG2 is better.

Shevek

Arcane
I may hate the Engagement system, but it is only a minor issue with the gameplay (that can be disabled with our mod). There are far worse issues.

TBH I agree with not adding Ascension by default - they have a point there. AFAIK it's David Gaider's mod and up to David Gaider to update it for BG2:EE (which I can't imagine him doing).

Regarding the weapon set issue - the Pillars of Eternity devs also stated they would like to have Icewind Dale 2 style weapon set switching .... does the game OR the expansion have it? No.

Why would you want to even play BG2:EE anyway? IMO Modded BG2 is better.
Not adding Ascension by default but adding a myriad of random Pocket Plane/etc mods by default is puzzling (or providing an optional install). Not adding Ascension by default but adding their own poor custom content that pales in comparison to mod made by a single dev is telling.

Sensuki

Arcane
You read what he said right? Ascension actually (significantly) changes core content of the game. They don't have any way of realistically making such a thing optional (would be really expensive to implement) whereas you can just ignore other content mods. I think I also recall part of their WotC contract being that they don't alter any of the original game content either, although I didn't hear aVENGER mention that so that may not be the case anymore.

Choice of what mods they do and don't implement is also related to which authors give permission for them to use their work. An author of a good mod might say "fuck no you're not using my work" and they can't use it.

Shevek

Arcane
Expensive to implement? Gaider made the mod optional all by himself.

Sensuki

Arcane
WeiDU.

The guy that made that I don't think is around anymore for them to ask if they can use it. So they would have to code their own solution.

Your pals at Obsidian would make the same choice given the same situation.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wesley Weimer has been gone since thr death of planeswalker studios i think. Weidu was a genius invention for the scene, really. Ascension was an overwriting mess before.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Expensive to implement? Gaider made the mod optional all by himself.
So, you have a company where you need to pay employees to make things. It costs money.
This is in contrast to a mod developer who is creating the content in their free-time (with an indefinite amount of time available).

Isn't there already a WeiDU version of ascension that updates rather than replaces for the most part? What problems does that have?

I can see why it might be hard to have a fully integrated version that is optional (e.g. like an on/off switch in a menu, how would you handle mods that have been added to one but not the other set of files?), but I doubt it would be an extraordinary effort just to update it as a mod.

Blackguard

Learned
So, you have a company where you need to pay employees to make things. It costs money.
This is in contrast to a mod developer who is creating the content in their free-time (with an indefinite amount of time available).

I don't know why this even being discussed. Beamdog has said that the main reason they didn't implement Ascension was simply because it changes the ToB content too much.

Tigranes

Arcane
Why are you guys even whining about this when you can play a superior version with Ascension already?

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster Aug 12
I must admit I'm tired of other games saying "We are just like Baldur's Gate". In most cases no, you are nothing like Baldur's Gate

:lol::lol::lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom