Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Delterius

Arcane
Is anyone aside from
possibly_retarded.png
buying the hype?
Well, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

It is their first actual game, their latest EEs were competently made and it looks like they won't try too hard to be modern BioWare with their writing.

Besides, it just wouldn't take too much to make an entertaining game using the IE legacy. The thing comes pre packaged with everything you could need in terms of rules system and beastiary and perhaps if I am too honest, an average adventury interquel to Baldur's Gate would be refreshing (to me) considering how Pillars of Eternity came into being.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
their latest EEs were competently made
I wonder where do you get that?
I do not deny that it was an exertion, but the EE´s have still a lot of bugs.
Just to remember you: "Competence is the ability of an individual to do a job properly!"
But I share your benefit of the doubt, though of other reasons.;)

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
he EE´s have still a lot of bugs.
As did the originals to be honest. As always, bug-fixing is WIP until you fix everything give up.

considering how Pillars of Eternity came into being.
Speaking of PoE - it could actually benefit from being an IE-based game. I still wonder why Obsidian decided to go through all the trouble of making their own (and crappier) 2.5D engine instead of licensing IE that was nearly damn perfect.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
I wonder where do you get that?
I do not deny that it was an exertion, but the EE´s have still a lot of bugs.
Just to remember you: "Competence is the ability of an individual to do a job properly!"
But I share your benefit of the doubt, though of other reasons.;)
Supposedly, the newest EEs (IWD) were competently made.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Speaking of PoE - it could actually benefit from being an IE-based game. I still wonder why Obsidian decided to go through all the trouble of making their own (and crappier) 2.5D engine instead of licensing IE that was nearly damn perfect.

Because they wouldn't just be licensing the engine, they would then be licensing the DnD ruleset.. Even if they could make IE work magically without any DnD reference, they still gotta pay a bigger chunk to Hasbro. The unity license is pretty dirt cheap.

m_s0

Arcane
Plus, IE isn't that great to work with, from what I understand. Even aVENGER bitched about it at some point.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Are codexers really believing mca is part of sod? As somebody mentioned before, thats like saying poe... Hell, its like saying ds3 must be great because mca was at obs.

Bit off topic, but:

After several years of reading developer posts Dungeon Siege III is probably (aside from New Vegas) the one Obsidian game that most Obsidian devs agree on is actually *good*.

Including Avellone and Sawyer

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
For making a non-DnD game?

Hasbro doesn't own IE, Bioware does.

IE is tightly coupled with DnD mechanics and it would be large amount of work to decouple that rule set from the engine AFAIK.

Don't know who owns IE right now but either way Obsidian would have to pay someone and Unity is probably easier to work with.

Tigranes

Arcane
Bit off topic, but:

After several years of reading developer posts Dungeon Siege III is probably (aside from New Vegas) the one Obsidian game that most Obsidian devs agree on is actually *good*.

Including Avellone and Sawyer

I think the consensus was that ds3 achieved all internal goals (few bugs, sales goals, scope lanagement) amd was a successful project. I doubt any of them thinks it was their best game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think the consensus was that ds3 achieved all internal goals (few bugs, sales goals, scope lanagement) amd was a successful project. I doubt any of them thinks it was their best game.

Not their best but in the sense of calling it a good and fun game.

logrus

Augur
Project: Eternity
To be honest for a few years I've been starving for decent D&D party cRPG (anyone could point any such game released after NWN2?).
Yeah, Beamdog's content additions to BG:EE and BG2:EE varied in quality and BG interludium is a really tricky thing to do well, but I can't say no to 20+ hours of new D&D content for the most fun character levels (guys already do not die from random goblin's arrow and mages are not yet able to annihilate whole armies with a single spell). So it's day one purchase for me (even if I would prefer completly new game in IE:EE engine, not connected to BG2 nor IWD stories).
I still hope to play IWD2:EE and a finally proper expansion pack for IWD2!

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
To be honest for a few years I've been starving for decent D&D party cRPG (anyone could point any such game released after NWN2?).
Yeah, Beamdog's content additions to BG:EE and BG2:EE varied in quality and BG interludium is a really tricky thing to do well, but I can't say no to 20+ hours of new D&D content for the most fun character levels (guys already do not die from random goblin's arrow and mages are not yet able to annihilate whole armies with a single spell). So it's day one purchase for me (even if I would prefer completly new game in IE:EE engine, not connected to BG2 nor IWD stories).
I still hope to play IWD2:EE and a finally proper expansion pack for IWD2!
Couldn´t satisfy PoE your hunger?
:troll:

DemonKing

Arcane

The 2D art in the original IE games still looks ok but the player avatars and some creatures look pretty dated, as do a lot of the spell effects. I'm not surprised Obsidian wanted to produce something with a more modern aesthetic built from the ground up for more modern resolutions and hardware.

Ausdoerrt

Augur
Are codexers really believing mca is part of sod? As somebody mentioned before, thats like saying poe... Hell, its like saying ds3 must be great because mca was at obs.

To be fair, DSIII was actually fun, unlike DS1 and 2.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Plus, IE isn't that great to work with, from what I understand. Even aVENGER bitched about it at some point.
The 2D art in the original IE games still looks ok but the player avatars and some creatures look pretty dated, as do a lot of the spell effects.
There's nothing wrong with a little graphics whoring but It'll be p. funny (and rather embarrassing for Obsidian) if SoD is deemed an overall better game than PoE.

Tigranes

Arcane
All they have to do is not fuck anything up in order for SoD to be a great experience. IE, D&D, just make some new maps in the same style, make sure your writing doesn't get in people's face, and put a minimal amount of thought into the encounters. Bam, most of us will still have fun because of the foundations they're working with.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
All they have to do is not fuck anything up in order for SoD to be a great experience. IE, D&D, just make some new maps in the same style, make sure your writing doesn't get in people's face, and put a minimal amount of thought into the encounters. Bam, most of us will still have fun because of the foundations they're working with.
:thumbsup:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

Of course the inherent arrogance of every blooming designer means they will need to put their stamp on it.
Which will inevitably be terrible.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
As long as SoD has good encounters, good itemization and isn't totally linear, I'm sure it's worth buying. And since aVENGER (I don't know if other modders had a hand in it, though) made the coolest encounter in any IE, the Chosen of Cyric, which also has plenty of cool items, I'm mainly worried about the exploration aspect and whether the gameworld will be interesting. I couldn't really care less about the plot or writing in this expansion.

Perkel

Arcane
To be fair, DSIII was actually fun, unlike DS1 and 2.

Only good thing about DS is music in first game.
DS1/2/3 are basically shit. Not even good arpgs. At least DS1 tried to do something different

based jeremy

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom