Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's cool, but I wonder Adventure Y will be a solitary game or an add-on to Baldur's Gate: I. I wonder how they'll do it.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They've hinted that the release of Adventure Y will be 'big' and that it may tie BG1:EE and BG2:EE together possibly in a similar fashion to BGT, but it's not confirmed. I got these hints from the Beamdog AMA a couple months ago.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nobody will read your posts if you don't copy-paste, OP.

With the new year upon us, we’ve been planning out our projects for the next twelve months. Here’s a sneak peek of what Beamdog is up to in 2015.

Adventure Y
This year, the eagerly anticipated Adventure Y will finally navigate the dark underground caverns of development and venture out into the Sword Coast. We’ve mentioned before that Adventure Y will be an addition to the Baldur’s Gate line using the Infinity engine, bridging the gap between Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition and Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition. Keep an eye on the Beamblog in late spring for announcements regarding the content and release date of Adventure Y. We have an exciting release planned for this game, something bigger than we’ve ever done before. If you’re looking for more information on Adventure Y, check out these pictures which were mysteriously leaked to the forums.

Adventure... Z?
By late summer we should be ready to talk about our next project after Adventure Y. “Adventure Z” sounds boring, so let’s call it Project: Beartrap. Right now all we can say about Project: Beartrap is that it exists and it’s a departure for us in terms of what we’ve done in the past. Also, the project might involve sharks. Maybe we should call it Project: Sharktrap? Either way, we’re looking forward to giving you more details mid-year.

Fifth Edition
We got a lot of questions about Dungeons & Dragons fifth edition and a potential Baldur’s Gate III on our reddit AMA. We’d be lying if we said we never think about doing a Baldur’s Gate III game, so we won’t say that. But we will say there’s nothing in the works yet regarding BGIII or a 5th edition game. That doesn’t mean the opportunity will never arise, though, so we’re preparing by starting a tabletop 5th edition Dungeons & Dragons game here in the office. Amber, aka the BeamBard, is our first sacrificial DM in running an office campaign. Expect future Beamblog posts on how she ruthlessly murderized all our lovingly created characters.

More project details and release information will be announced on the Beamblog as the year progresses, so check back often. You can also share your thoughts on the forums or follow us @Beamdoginc. Wishing you all the best in 2015!

Screens: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/comment/565436/#Comment_565436

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The first screen is an area from Baldur's Gate, I guess?
But the others? Did they get actual artists this time?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The first screen is an area from Baldur's Gate, I guess?

With some changes:

area1.png

Sykar

Arcane
"We’ll Always Have Candlekeep: Romances Remembered
Player characters involved in romances with Rasaad, Neera, or Dorn in Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition no longer have to endure those awkward “getting to know you” conversations a second time. Find your lost companion in Athkatla or the surrounding region and you can pick your relationship up right where it left off!"

:decline:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Can't say I would object to a brand new 5E game unshackled by old titles, if only because D&D games went to the dogs over the years and faded into nonexistence. Not sure about these in-between games which sound like cash-ins, though. Especially considering Beam Dog's creative additions to BG2EE. I would not exactly rank their new characters highly.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is the part about trademarks I don't fully understand. Currently (I just checked) BioWare/EA own the rights to the Baldur's Gate™ name. They obviously do not own the IP rights of the setting (that is Wizards of the Coast). But the characters and story I *assume* BioWare/EA still own?

Sykar

Arcane
How is that decline? Sounds like some solid C&C.

From what I saw on some Let's plays the romances are rather... annoying, to put it mildly. I was more talking about adding MORE romances than about romances being exported. My bad for not clarifying that more. So far there has not been a single well written romance in any Bioware game. They were tolerable at best and I wish developers should stop bringing them in. It's one of my bigger gripes about BG2.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
This is the part about trademarks I don't fully understand. Currently (I just checked) BioWare/EA own the rights to the Baldur's Gate™ name. They obviously do not own the IP rights of the setting (that is Wizards of the Coast). But the characters and story I *assume* BioWare/EA still own?

And how the hell did Beamdog get full creative control over one of the best known rpg franchises ever is beyond me

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
And how the hell did Beamdog get full creative control over one of the best known rpg franchises ever is beyond me

Same way Brian Fargo got de-facto ownership of an IP or two that he didn't actually own. Or the way that dude from Night Dive Studios suddenly managed to release System Shock 2 and other games after years of licensing hell. CONNECTIONS, they make the world go round.

dukeofwhales

Cipher

EA probably agreed to it in return for a revenue share agreement. I remember when BGEE was first announced Beamdog mentioned that they had to deal with Bioware as well as WOTC to get it approved.

pippin

I think that's why most of the "enhancements" had to be cosmetic, since they weren't able to modify the base contents of the game.

Unwanted

Mr Fantastic

Andhaira
Andhaira
Their talk about 5e D&D is very intriguing. 5e is a great ruleset, and funnily enough is a much easier bridge from AD&D 2e, even more so than a bridge from AD&D 2e to 3e, at least in tabletop. Color me very interested. Yes I know Beamdog had a shaky start years ago with BG1, they fucked up the release. But they have improved substantially, IWD EE is a great and stable product with great additions that no mod has done. And it is very simple to install, like a retail product should be. No need to download and add on a ton of mods, even if this was possible (it's not with IWD vanilla because the coding was hardcoded)

It would be hilarious that after wisely building their business, confidence, reputation and fanbase by using the IE games, they earn enough money, trust & skillset to make a real BG III using 5e D&D that is a worthy sequel in the vein of BG II. It would be heralded as a real turnaround and a great business strategy, if they succeed.

Before anyone laughs too hard, keep in mind Obsidian Entertainment too started out by eating the crumbs off of Bioware's table, and had to take on embarrassing projects to meet bills like Dungeon Siege III, South Park, and they have had buggy products as well as failed product lines (Alpha Protocol). Had it not been for Kickstarter there would be no PoE in development, a product way past the due date at this point and with a shaky alpha and beta results.

Anyhow, I hope the Codex keeps following up on Beamdog. I get the feeling they could be a major player a couple of years down the line. Sure, they could crash and burn like so many others. But the fact they run regular tabletop rpg games in their office gives me the idea they at least are on the right track. I would rather have an rpg made by nerds and geeks rather than hipster SJW suits, or nerds who jumped onto the SJW wagon and lost their minds ( :dgaider: )

Perkel

Arcane
So you are saying people will be playing 2nd edition in BG1 then 5e in BG:Tape then 2e again in BG2 ?

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Between BG1 and 2 ?!?!

So a dream sequance while Irenicus'es goons are dragging our druged bodies to his lair? Or we forgot all the experience after experimented on?

Either way,
:flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw::flamesaw:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom