Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Old Trent Oster interview from 2010:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2010/06...co-founder-talks-about-launching-beamdog-and/

Highlights:

There's lots of PC game download services already out there. What makes Beamdog different from these other companies like Steam, Direct2Drive and Impulse?

Our largest difference out of the box is the client. We tried to make a very simple and easy to use application for people to find, buy, download and play games. The Beamdog system downloads the games ready to play, no install, no browsing directories, etc. Our concept is "great Games, Easy" and we really try to follow that credo in our development on the platform.

If browsing directories is hard for his target audience, what matter of rape will come from his remake of Baldur's Gate?

MDK2 was also way hard on the Dreamcast version. So hard it is the only game to ever make me break a controller. I actually snapped the Dreamcast controller, popping the VMU across the room when I was playing the Max levels, so some tuning will be in our to-do list.

Is this how butthurted nerds take revenge now? Did he break his keyboard fighting Khangax or Mindflayers, so now they will be removed from game?

:x

Also, it seems they took almost 2 years to make MDK 2 HD, so all this teasing probably won't mean anything for the next years....until than we shall have Fargo's Wasteland 2, so fuck him. :roll:

gunman

Arcane
Developer
The landscapes are not pre-rendered 3D objects so they are not scalable. Do you think they will redraw a zillion locations just to make a HD version?
Yes they are.

The landscapes are just large bitmaps composed of different elements. Some elements like rocks, trees, chests, chairs are obviously repeating while others are unique. I suppose they had a repository with bitmap items they reused for different scenes. Some of those items could have been at origin 3D objects, but once they have been blended into bitmaps it doesn't matter anymore. The trees for example I doubt they were 3D at origin, they look like 100% pixel art.

MMXI

Arcane
The landscapes are just large bitmaps composed of different elements. Some elements like rocks, trees, chests, chairs are obviously repeating while others are unique. I suppose they had a repository with bitmap items they reused for different scenes. Some of those items could have been at origin 3D objects, but once they have been blended into bitmaps it doesn't matter anymore. The trees for example I doubt they were 3D at origin, they look like 100% pixel art.
I'm quite sure the towns are.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Old Trent Oster interview from 2010:

MDK2 was also way hard on the Dreamcast version. So hard it is the only game to ever make me break a controller. I actually snapped the Dreamcast controller, popping the VMU across the room when I was playing the Max levels, so some tuning will be in our to-do list.
God, what a dumbfuck. That's the point of the max levels! They meant to be difficult, they don't need any tuning. It seems the hard difficulty will be the new normal level. Eeehh..why am I surprised, this starts to be the norm.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
God, what a dumbfuck. That's the point of the max levels! They meant to be difficult, they don't need any tuning. It seems the hard difficulty will be the new normal level. Eeehh..why am I surprised, this starts to be the norm.
Not necessarily, it's quite easy to fill the hardest difficulty with a bunch of challenging-but-unfun bullshit.

Alex

Arcane
If you're making a joke I don't get it.

This was a rulebook for playing Immortals (extremely high level characters) in D&D. Hence the rules for running them. WTF are you talking about?

I think Darth Roxor was just making a joke, implying the boxset should read "Immortals Rule". The joke probably makes more sense if you imagine the blond guy is making a horns hand sign.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Not necessarily, it's quite easy to fill the hardest difficulty with a bunch of challenging-but-unfun bullshit.
That's true, but I thought that the difficulty of MDK2 was OK in this regard. No need to tune it. Although I played it quite a while ago, so my memoires are a little fuzzy.

Oesophagus

Arcane
I see the fatwa demanding Trent Oster's head has already been proclaimed. It's a good thing, better to prevent than cure.
Prolly just an iOS release anyway, so I guess they just need to hype it up.

Stabwound

Arcane
There's no way this will live up to the hype everyone is generating for it. I wish he'd just spill the beans and get the disappointment over with.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Bah. The only acceptable BG remake would be one with ToEE's engine and combat.

And it would take 2 years of 8 hours/day of playing time to complete, unless the encounters and spawns are greatly decreased. But I agree with the general idea.

Revenant

Lol @ me for somehow not noticing this thread before the new one that's now in Retardo.

I mostly agree that the Infinity Engine games are good as they are and no remakes are necessary (remakes would possibly be popamole bullshit anyway).

What I think is strange is that nobody seems to have noticed the issue of licensing that would concern anyone wishing to remake BG. It ís an AD&D 2nd Edition game and I seriously doubt that the D&D license holders would approve a remake using an obsolete edition when there is yet no decent RPG using D&D4. I mean, AD&D2 is 20 years old, it was already deprecated by D&D3.5 and D&D4, and no one would like to market a game that uses AD&D2 anymore. So, all in all, I would be greatly skeptical about a remake.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I WANT TO BELIVE!!!
tumblr_lnhwuuewMI1qhjz5to1_250.jpg

deus101

Bah. The only acceptable BG remake would be one with ToEE's engine and combat.

And it would take 2 years of 8 hours/day of playing time to complete, unless the encounters and spawns are greatly decreased. But I agree with the general idea.
LOOK! If they make a new Infinity engine...just..GRAB IT! Yes its not TB but it would be still incline.

deus101

Hmm...ok..I actually noticed the background contains BG1 character portraits so yeah...pointless remake. ...

Oh well maybe they will...realse mod tools :8

deus101

But then this...

god damnit...ok...anyone remember(or can check out) my very first post on this board....this sorta hard on me...

(edit apparently that is actually a fan teaser made about a year ago, might not have anything todo with the whole debacle)

Stabwound

Arcane
That video is even mentioned on the Trent Oster twitter, and he says it's not from them.

gunman

Arcane
Developer
Lol @ me for somehow not noticing this thread before the new one that's now in Retardo.

No problem. I just wanted to make a poll but it was aggressively moderated and ended into recycle bin. You'll find here that the slightest mistake does not escape punishment by nazi nerds.

Linkamus

Educated
I'd would be super excited for a BG1 remake. As long as it still uses the older D&D ruleset.

edit: Also the skull image used on the new website I believe is a brand new image. I've searched and searched, but the only places I can find that exact image are referring to the new website. So someone must have taken the time to make it specifically for the website and or this new project.

mondblut

Arcane
I always thought it'd be pretty awesome if the story carried on in Baldur's Gate III but with your character as a god, walking the outer planes, interacting with other gods, and generally doing godlike shit. It'd be a super weird game but a super awesome one too.

That part was omitted until he lost his memory and then woke up in the morgue in Sigil :smug:

Stabwound

Arcane
You're right, the skull image is clearly a brand new design. The older logos are not even close to that definition, and it's clearly redrawn. Google image search doesn't have any reference to the logo until the past few days. Again, another sign pointing toward a HD facelift of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom