Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Bruticis

Somebody said they uncovered some steam shit mentioning Baldurs Gate. I'm guessing it's an "HD" version going to steam.

What 'somebody'? These kinds of posts are :decline: of the codex.

Here, I've done the work for you: http://gamerfront.net/2012/02/baldurs-gate-coming-to-steam/16913
Hey, I edited my post as you were replying to me! I knew I was going to get called out and tried to fix it. I was lazy.

MMXI

Arcane
All I'd want from an updated Baldur's Gate is turn-based combat. There's already a combat mode in the game (where it doesn't let you save) so it should be relatively easy to hook that in to a switch to a turn-based mode.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't understand the need for a "remake" of the BG games. BG2 is still an excelllent game in it's vanilla state, and BG1 with the right mods is equally good.
I'd much rather have a new IE game, but with an option for proper turn based combat.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Why anyone would buy the game on Steam when it's already available on GOG or GamersGate (all Infinity Engine games were like $7 the other day!) is beyond me. Maybe they'll add achievements!!11

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, I don't get why a bunch of people are getting this through Steam (according to their forums), when it's already available at GoG and DRM free... Idiots.

To me it almost looks like some people just feel "safer" when playing a game through a third party like Steam.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
All I'd want from an updated Baldur's Gate is turn-based combat. There's already a combat mode in the game (where it doesn't let you save) so it should be relatively easy to hook that in to a switch to a turn-based mode.
What's wrong with existing solution consisting of realtime + turns-cooldowns + active pause? It worked well.
Adding TB combat is highly unlikely, since it would need too much changes in system. How do you imagine adding fields, or other movement units to an engine designed to work with vectors and polygons (being basically wolfenstein-like 3D for a nisometric game)?

MMXI

Arcane
What's wrong with existing solution consisting of realtime + turns-cooldowns + active pause?
It's fucking shit.

Adding TB combat is highly unlikely, since it would need too much changes in system. How do you imagine adding fields, or other movement units to an engine designed to work with vectors and polygons (being basically wolfenstein-like 3D for a nisometric game)?
I didn't say it needed to be grid-based.

Johannes

Arcane
IE combat is already good if the encounter is good, no need to totally revamp the system. Though a few rule changes would be nice to iron out the system and really make it balanced and smoother, something to make bows a bit less powerful and melee a bit more, for example. Like hitting moving targets in melee have a bonus or something.

And balance the dungeon design, for example restrict resting as a starter.

And integrate and improve on the already existing AI mods.

That way you'd have a similar experience to the original but just better.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
What's wrong with existing solution consisting of realtime + turns-cooldowns + active pause?
It's fucking shit.
Thank you for an exhaustive and extremely detailed answer. You're awarded with +1 to your post counter.

There was a brief discussion of some of the problems here, to point to a recent thread.

Maybe more appropriate than "what's wrong with it as it is?" is "what could be improved?" Turn-based combat like TOEE or KotC. If you don't see that as an improvement, I don't know. I'd think you hadn't played BG/one of those recently.

skyst

Augur
If you view page source it sez:

<!-- February 13, 2012 -->

<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- oh dear it's coming soon -->

I just looked at the page myself for the first time today and it is now different:

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- You haven't guessed it yet! -->

MMXI

Arcane

Xzar

Augur

I just looked at the page myself for the first time today and it is now different:

Wow, they're toying with us :)

curry

Arcane

Maybe they'll release IE as opensource :smug:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Why anyone would buy the game on Steam when it's already available on GOG or GamersGate (all Infinity Engine games were like $7 the other day!) is beyond me. Maybe they'll add achievements!!11

I will not rest until Lord GABEN has crushed all resistance.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Damn I can't handle these emotional roller coaster rides anymore. The Thread title got me super excited there for a minute, was almost expecting a Kickstarter announcement for a third entry into the series or something similar. Only to be let down by that Steam revelation :(

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver

Does CF have an older brother who works for BioWare?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hey, don't be smug, that's a possibility. An awesome one.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

Wow, they're toying trolling with us :)

Fixed

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist

Hey, don't be smug, that's a possibility. An awesome one.

What's so awesome about opensource IE (not a reverse- engineered hack)? Possibility to play BG on iShits and handhelds? Infinity games are so modded and patched, that such thing isn't needed to fix technical issues. Source code becoming suddenly open and available for everyone would be nice, but it has no real value *now*.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom