Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I highly doubt HASBRO/WotC signed a deal to work with EA on the D&D licence, so it's probably boring shit like the BG series being put on the shitty Origin site.
Why would it? The dude who registered the domain left BioWare to found his own digital distribution platform.

Hmmm according to the US Copyright site, BioWare still own the right's to "Baldurs Gate", which seems odd someone could just buy this domain name? Though I don't exactly know how that all works.

Xzar

Augur
BG is done. The prot is either a god or rejected godhood. They might use the name, but at best it'd be something-something-something Bhaalspawn, something-something-something incomplete.

Gods are not invincible in FR universe. He may got stripped of his powers due to conspiracy of other gods, or even better - he got the Dragonlance-like reversal (Raistlin becoming a god then unbecoming one). Either way, characters of the series are too awesome to let them go, there's a lot of stories that can be told with them, so by no means BG is done. And as getting a new protag working with the same squad seems like a weaker decision, we'll have either this or complete reboot, in case BG3 really happens.

As for this one, I'm almost convinced now, that this is HD remake in style of MDK2 HD.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
If you view page source it sez:
<!-- February 13, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->
<!-- oh dear it's coming soon -->
Yeah, I saw this too..."Raise Dead : Infinity Engine", seriously? Fucking n00bs can't even use Resurrection yet...:lol:

Still, such a stupid detail would probably be seen by fans working on it, so it may be something "official"...who knows...

MMXI

Arcane
BG is done. The prot is either a god or rejected godhood. They might use the name, but at best it'd be something-something-something Bhaalspawn, something-something-something incomplete.

Gods are not invincible in FR universe. He may got stripped of his powers due to conspiracy of other gods, or even better - he got the Dragonlance-like reversal (Raistlin becoming a god then unbecoming one). Either way, characters of the series are too awesome to let them go, there's a lot of stories that can be told with them, so by no means BG is done. And as getting a new protag working with the same squad seems like a weaker decision, we'll have either this or complete reboot, in case BG3 really happens.

As for this one, I'm almost convinced now, that this is HD remake in style of MDK2 HD.
I always thought it'd be pretty awesome if the story carried on in Baldur's Gate III but with your character as a god, walking the outer planes, interacting with other gods, and generally doing godlike shit. It'd be a super weird game but a super awesome one too.

But then I looked around at the candidates for its development. Fuck that idea.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Went on to BSN to see if anyone was discussing this and, surprisingly, they were. And found this:

baldurgatedotcomyqk6z.png

:hmmm:

Elzair

Cipher
Imagine BG3 with Laidlaw as Lead Designer.
Whole game set in the dynamic and awesome city of Baldur's Gate!
No need to go out exploring, everything you need is right here in the city!!
Lots of gay taverns and kobold coloured architecture!

o_O
TBH, that was kind of the way I expected the game to be when I was reading the manual (Only newfags don't bother RTFM before playing a game). I assumed you would start out in Baldur's Gate, visit all the cool places Volo talked about, and do some quests in some city catacombs or something before branching out into the wider world. I was so pissed off when I realized you couldn't get IN Baldur's Gate until Chapter 5!
:rage:

Dexter

Arcane
Ehhhhh....Where could they take the series from where it already went? They could go the black hound route, but who but Black Isle could have pulled that off?

Maybe it's a HD Remake to start with?

The dude was already involved in making MDK2 HD: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/10/m...s-trent-oster-on-putting-the-hd-into-mdk2-hd/

So, the obvious starter question – why do an MDK2 remake? Most of the time, these sorts of project are geared around bringing classic games back from the dead. With MDK2 though, the original is already easily available for a couple of quid on both GOG and Steam.
We had a long look at MDK2 and we felt it was a great game that a lot of people never played. It was our thought that a HD version of MDK2 would be a great reason for people to take another look at this fun game. As well, my business partner in Beamdog and Overhaul Games, Cameron Tofer, just happened to be the lead programmer on MDK2, giving us a clear understanding of the challenges we would face. Cam was pretty much Captain MDK2 during the original development and he took the same role this time.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What would be the point of an HD remake? It is not a 3D game, the only thing they could do IMO is to increase the resolution, which is already available through the widescreen mod. I don't think they will remake the game in a totally new engine.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
I've just read the OpenInfinity/ GemRB project is announced to be playable for BG*/IWD games. A bit impressive, considering they got almost nothing in 2008 and just a year ago they didn't have even projectiles and levelling implemented. However I doubt the eventual HD remake would use it. They'd rather get original source or write a new engine from scratch for old documentation.
What would be the point of an HD remake? It is not a 3D game, the only thing they could do IMO is to increase the resolution, which is already available through the widescreen mod. I don't think they will remake the game in a totally new engine.
I think it's pointless, to write a whole new engine just to reuse old assets. Maybe they want to go full 3D.

MCA

If he has access to the original game assets, a lot of which are 3D eg. backgrounds and characters, they could be re-rendered to isometric at higher resolutions or may even be used directly over 2D backgrounds re-rerendered to higher resolutions. And theoretically, if the 3D background source models are detailed enough, the game itself could switch to 3D entirely though that would be unlikely and costly.

Dexter

Arcane
Eh, modders managed to make Widescreen Mods that up the resolution by showing more of the screen but that doesn't up the res of the artset, just makes everything more tiny. They could rescan major art, or maybe they still have high-res originals somewhere.
They could also rework some features and UI that were fail (useable quest-journal, better item-management etc. or this) and would stop people from playing nowadays (thinking Monkey Island: SE) while keeping the game and game systems intact as they were.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Eh, modders managed to make Widescreen Mods that up the resolution by showing more of the screen but that doesn't up the res of the artset, just makes everything more tiny. They could rescan major art, or maybe they still have high-res originals somewhere.
They could also rework some features and UI that were fail (useable quest-journal, better item-management etc. or this) and would stop people from playing nowadays (thinking Monkey Island: SE) while keeping the game and game systems intact as they were.

Better item management? You mean like a list with huge fonts for consoletards to scroll through? :rpgcodex:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good job, but try harder, you haven't reached racofer-level thread incline skills yet. :obviously:

Bruticis

Somebody said they uncovered some steam shit mentioning Baldurs Gate. I'm guessing it's an "HD" version going to steam.
EDIT: Here's the original post: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2491920

Baldur's Gate 2: Complete coming to Steam

Just found it in the Steam registry, app number 99140 for anyone interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom