Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just run it for the first time.

So, uh, what's the logic behind replacing some of BG2 assets with the uglier ones from BG1? I noticed paper dolls and many item icons thus far.

Be aware that you are probably part of a tiny minority with this opinion. 1PP is one of the most popular mods on the scene, and one of the typical criticisms against BG2 was that it substituted a lot of BG1's simplistic, digital design with ugly painted icons and paperdolls, as well as some of the (in many people's opinion) lesser avatar models from Heart of Winter.

Wasn't it HoW that took the avatars from BG2 and not vice versa?

It might have been, in which case: :oops:

However, I recall those avatars being mostly implemented in IWD already? The "crooked" shields, etc.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Original IWD used BG1 graphics. HoW (released in 2001, after BG2) upgraded the engine to a kind of BG1/BG2 hybrid.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Original IWD used BG1 graphics.

For serious? Big plate-mail armor and all? In that case my memory sure is fuzzy, and IWD in its original state more pretty than I recall (except for fugly casting graphics) :3

The avatars, of course, remain lesser whether they were taken from HoW or developed for BG2 directly :P

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Original IWD used BG1 graphics.

:S

For serious? Big plate-mail armor and all? In that case my memory sure is fuzzy, and IWD in its original state more pretty than I recall :3

Yup. This mod can bring them back: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/50492-1pp-animation-fixes-for-iwdtotlm/

iwind001.png
iwind003.png
iwind004.png

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Awesome!

EDIT: do you know if there's a reason they can't be brought back as faithfully in BGT? Damn, those models are so fucking sweet compared to BG2's!

EDIT2: Or does the animation fixes do the same for BGT? Damn, those are reportedly broken.

Tigranes

Arcane
I'm just glad this shit came out after P:E kickstarter so people don't think it's out to recreate the glorious work of Beamdog.

I have no idea why there are so many Codexers chomping on this shit, but have fun.

eremita

Savant
I'm an idiot. I was excited about BG:EE and then of course angry about it being buggy shit. But I believed they will take a lesson with BG2:EE and put some serious work on it... But noooo! Instead, launch is the same fucking disaster. Fuck this crap, even more for that ridiculous price.

Also, Trent and comrades are clearly not capable managing re-launch/updating of 15 years old game and we should trust them with plans about BG3? This last year has been primarily proof that Beamdog are bunch of amateurs with big plans, which they are unable to execute. Being it tablets/mac disaster or crucial patch for BG:EE launching more than YEAR after fucking release... And what's even more funny is how defensive and justified they feel about all this crap; we should all be cool and patient! This is completely legit!

Fuck this.:hearnoevil::balance:

Xi

Arcane
BG 2 EE in Irenicus' Dungeon

BG2 using Widescreen Mod /Larger Text in Irenicus' Dungeon:

Visually, there really isn't much of a difference it seems. The interface does seem more improved, and the engine seems a bit more responsive in EE though.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I just run it for the first time.

So, uh, what's the logic behind replacing some of BG2 assets with the uglier ones from BG1? I noticed paper dolls and many item icons thus far.

The BG1 paperdolls and icons are widely considered to be superior among the fanbase. They were created by a talented BioWare artist who died in 1999 before BG2 was complete. The original purpose of the popular 1pp mod was to insert them into BG2.
I preferred the BG1 paper dolls too. The problem was that the equipment icons no longer matched the way the equipment was rendered on the character sprites. It was especially evident with helmets and shields.
You can see this problem in IWD1, since the Trials of the Luremaster added the BG2 character sprites, but kept the BG1 paper dolls.
The problem with using the BG1 sprites in BG2 is that they did not support the dual-wielding introduced in BG2.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher
They even removed the ability to choose your resolution, the options panel is depressing and there is no config tool in the game folder, if you want to change anything you need to venture into the ini file. Enhancements indeed.

Is it still possible to set FPS to 60? This is probably my favorite tweak to make to BG2.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They even removed the ability to choose your resolution, the options panel is depressing and there is no config tool in the game folder, if you want to change anything you need to venture into the ini file. Enhancements indeed.

Is it still possible to set FPS to 60? This is probably my favorite tweak to make to BG2.
doesn't that almost double movement speed and animation?

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
I just read they didn't

Xukuth Posts: 27
November 18 edited November 18
Actually, it looks like I spoke too soon. I was looking at the files, which have the correct stats, but it looks like the Polymorph opcode may still not really work properly and give those stats to the shapeshifted druid. Sorry. Looks like Shapeshifting is still gimped.

e: It's kind of insane that this has no included fix. I'd say you should wait for Refinements to be updated for compatibility, then use that fix component, as it's the most elegant one I've come across.

I really wonder what they managed to fix in the EE of these games?
I was hoping they would go above and beyond what the fan patch fixes have done.

Monkeyfinger

Cipher

Yes.
It cuts walking time in half.
It makes combat much faster paced, which is a challenge tweak I enjoy playing with way more than moving the ingame slider above Core.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Be aware that you are probably part of a tiny minority with this opinion.
I can live with being a part of minority with my opinion as I'm edgy like that. However, if one of the most prominent and easily noticeable "enhancements" of an "enhanced" version of an old game is reusing assets from an even older game then they are having a laugh. 23 Euros worth of "work" indeed.

Also, first patch is apparently out. Wonder what they broke this time.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Be aware that you are probably part of a tiny minority with this opinion.
I can live with being a part of minority with my opinion as I'm edgy like that. However, if one of the most prominent and easily noticeable "enhancements" of an "enhanced" version of an old game is reusing assets from an even older game then they are having a laugh.

On that we agree (it's actually much worse; they're not just reusing assets from the old game, they're just directly implementing a mod that can already do it).

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Yes.
It cuts walking time in half.
It makes combat much faster paced, which is a challenge tweak I enjoy playing with way more than moving the ingame slider above Core.

I didn't see any ingame option for fps, and as there is no config tool, i don't think (at first glance) you can mess with the fps.

80Maxwell08

Arcane
Wow there are still people out there who trusted BD after BG EE :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You people who are complaining after buying it should be stopped from reproducing.
Actually this is the 3rd time in a row. I was debating getting MDK2HD, which they also did, but there were people reporting some serious bugs a year after it came out. So it seems like they are 3 for 3 in messy launches.

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
Second Act stealthily reseted on me again making me lose about 7 hours of gameplay due to reliance on auto/quicksaves and general disregard of savescumming. Unit pathing hasn't been fixed in the least which means it's still probably the worst case of party AI in gaming history and 99% of deaths is still your character getting glitched between enemy/environment doing fuckall and/or twitching in place while taking crits in the back. Damn, I forgot how atrocious RTwP combat has been in this game.

Servo

Arcane
I preferred the BG1 paper dolls too. The problem was that the equipment icons no longer matched the way the equipment was rendered on the character sprites. It was especially evident with helmets and shields.
You can see this problem in IWD1, since the Trials of the Luremaster added the BG2 character sprites, but kept the BG1 paper dolls.
The problem with using the BG1 sprites in BG2 is that they did not support the dual-wielding introduced in BG2.

I think if you are using BGTutu or EasyTutu the equipment icons won't match character sprites because the sprites are from BG2 but the icons are from BG1. Is this correct?

Any way to fix this? Don't use Tutu?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I think if you are using BGTutu or EasyTutu the equipment icons won't match character sprites because the sprites are from BG2 but the icons are from BG1. Is this correct?

Any way to fix this? Don't use Tutu?

I just used EasyTutu and dealt with the wrong character sprites for the round shields, helmets, etc.
I used the patch Infinitron mentioned for IWD1 that reverted the sprites back to BG1 style. I could safely do this because IWD1 didn't support dual-wielding (instead they just gave the ranger an extra attack per round when wielding a single-handed weapon with no shield).

They were created by a talented BioWare artist who died in 1999 before BG2 was complete.
The artist's name was Dan Walker and Baldur's Gate 2 was dedicated to him.

I haven't tried it myself, there there is the Infinity Animations mod which has a lot of options for customizing the look of the game.
Scroll down to "BG1 Character Animations for NPCs".
Some words of warning:
-The last option [8030] is "most" instead of "all" because certain creatures are excluded
-These include creatures with scimitars, katanas or anything other than a shield in the offhand slot (or related proficiencies) since BG1 did not have these animations
-Use with caution in the case of joinable NPCs: it will avoid any characters with the two weapon proficiency or a second weapon equipped, but do not try to dual wield

So if you decide to install it, avoid using things like dual-wield, katanas, or scimitars that didn't exist in BG1 (technically, there were Drizzt's two scimitars but they were part of his character sprite and they were treated as long swords by the game).

Alternatively, you can use a resolution mod for BG1 instead of Tutu, because that's the biggest single improvement of the BG2 engine. Then all the original BG1 content will be preserved.

m_s0

Arcane
Second Act stealthily reseted on me again making me lose about 7 hours of gameplay due to reliance on auto/quicksaves and general disregard of savescumming. Unit pathing hasn't been fixed in the least which means it's still probably the worst case of party AI in gaming history and 99% of deaths is still your character getting glitched between enemy/environment doing fuckall and/or twitching in place while taking crits in the back. Damn, I forgot how atrocious RTwP combat has been in this game.
Why are you still playing this?

Servo

Arcane
Alternatively, you can use a resolution mod for BG1 instead of Tutu, because that's the biggest single improvement of the BG2 engine. Then all the original BG1 content will be preserved.

Is there another resolution mod other than widescreen mod? Cause if you use widescreen mod you will still need a GUI mod. I use this one.

I'm going to try that IWD1 patch next time I play BG1 because those mismatched icons/sprites are awful.

Why is this thread tagged Prosper by the way?

Stabwound

Arcane
Hahaha, reading the official bugs forum is hilarious. The game is broken beyond being at all playable: item containers cannibalize items, scripts, quests and entire chapters constantly reset, important NPCs fail to spawn or drop mandatory items or sometimes they respawn constantly, quicksaving and loading causes all enemies to disappear, Watcher's Keep won't appear on the map, items randomly get duplicated, stats get fucked if you import from BG1:EE etc.

For the 20th time, just get the originals and use BGTrilogy mod.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom