Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Stabwound

Arcane
Look at his twitter posts before that. In particular: https://twitter.com/#!/TrentOster/status/170634043753381888/photo/1

Definitely points toward a shitty iOS port. Although he makes references to looking for "2D artists" and building level assets. "High Defintion" port/remake? Who knows. It will probably be disappointing, whatever it ends up being. The IE games don't need redone graphics; the games still look amazing when you crank the engine to 1920x1080. More appealing than modern shit, if you ask me.

update: I see their previous project was MDK2 HD. If this isn't a HD facelift of BG for iPad shit I will be surprised. I would only trust Obsidian to do anything that even remotely does justice to the BG series, so no matter what it is it's going to be an embarrassment for sure.

Ubfh7.jpg

skyst

Augur
I emailed the guy, he responded fairly quickly but refused to share any additional information.

The iMac thing is breaking my heart, though I am hesitant to believe it will be simply an iOS port assuming he will want to push his Beamdog service as much as possible. I wouldn't mind it being a sort of BGT treatment with updated UI/character models; updated, unique sprites or w/e would look great on the existing backgrounds... especially since I can't stand the current ones. Enormous helmets + stabbing with a greatsword is blah.

Stabwound

Arcane
Yeah, the character sprites in the BG games are the only sore spot, I agree. The monsters aren't nearly as bad, and the backgrounds and character portraits stand up fine, and even look better than they originally did due to how the Infinity Engine scales resolution so well.

I doubt that, if they're doing a HD upgrade, they will leave the parts that are fine alone. Playing BG with a different graphical style would be stupid, I can almost guarantee.

Stabwound

Arcane
He's just building publicity. He and his project are being discussed on almost every gaming website/forum, so it only makes sense that he rides it as long as possible before it dies down when he announces that it's only "Baldur's Gate: iPad Edition" rather than BG3 like many people are hopelessly speculating.

skyst

Augur
The website being for a brand new BG game is almost an impossibility. Consider the current notes on the page:

<!-- February 28, 2012 -->
<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->
<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->
<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->
<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->
<!-- As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life. -->

This clearly alludes to a rerelease of the old game(s). "And then... it returned. Better than it was before." Not quit subtle.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
All hopes I had died when I gazed into this guy pic...he looks like a douche trying to make quick money on hopeless BG fans.

Malpercio

Arcane
I don't know what to think about this. BG2 is my favorite rpg...

I'd lie if i said i'm not curious, but the fear they are going to screwup and create some sort of BG3 for babies it's very high.

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
Chance of having a sequel to BG2 is pretty much impossible for obvious reasons, so he can go fuck himself.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Chance of having a sequel to BG2 is pretty much impossible for obvious reasons, so he can go fuck himself.

Who would even want a BG sequel? It would just be yet another shitty action game with little or no rpg elements.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
There was a spanish mod taking place after TOB events. <charname> returns to Candlekeep after refusing to become a god, then some shit happens. So it's possible to force a continuation of the storyline. They could also go NWN Storms of Zephyr route, acting like TOB never happened. Or whatever. Plot is the least significant problem of eventual sequel.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
If there's a BG3 it has to be based on this:
449px-ImmortDnDBox.jpg

Such a glaring grammatical mistake - it should be 'immortals rule'. No spellcheck for front page? Really?

If you're making a joke I don't get it.

This was a rulebook for playing Immortals (extremely high level characters) in D&D. Hence the rules for running them. WTF are you talking about?

MMXI

Arcane
I still think my idea of a sequel where you explore the outer planes as a god would be awesome. You could even meet the D&D/Forgotten Realms pantheon and visit Sigil. It would be way more interesting than trudging through the Sword Coast as a low level character again.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I still think my idea of a sequel where you explore the outer planes as a god would be awesome. You could even meet the D&D/Forgotten Realms pantheon and visit Sigil. It would be way more interesting than trudging through the Sword Coast as a low level character again.
Uh, gods are instant killed as soon as they fall into Sigil.

Ooooh, better not let word of this gaffe reach the folks in the RPS comments. :troll:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

But it would be Elminster this, Elminster that.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Just as the Sword Coast doesn't need to be revisited, neither does Sigil. PS:T modeled it nicely, it's been featured in a few NWN modules; let it lie also.

Aren't there countless planes and plenty of other cities/adventuring environments that could be the romping grounds of a BG3-ready, Bhaalspawn badass? City of Brass? So many layers of the Abyss never covered, etc.

As much as I dislike high-level godlike wankery in my D&D, this would be fun if someone with half the writing skills of MCA, et al, lent their time to it.

Never happen, though. Talk about wankery. :(

MMXI

Arcane
Uh, gods are instant killed as soon as they fall into Sigil.
I didn't know they were "instant" killed. But yeah, you're largely right. Having said that, perhaps there's a process of ascension and in the first half of the game you aren't an actual deity yet. I didn't fail my lore check. Honest!

But anyway, the outer planes. There's a whole bunch of them and each one is unique. There's plenty of opportunity for a game to be set there, even without fucking around in the outlands.

Johannes

Arcane
Maybe they will port BG: Dark Alliance to iPads

What were those Dark Alliance games about anyway, though? Are they BG in anything but name

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom