Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's forget the shit story and romances for a minute : what if it was the only way to get the moddable ToEE that we all secretly want ?
After all, it may be our last chance... :(
What does a quick cash grab BG remake for iTards have to do with moddable TOEE?

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
That wasn't clear at all, was it ?
Anyway, post edited (we were talking about maybe having BG3).

Pein

Novice
If this is the only way to Baldur's Gate 3, i'm gonna assume we're gonna have a really thorny and shitty road up ahead.

Anyway, if this works, i am curious to see what can they do by themselves.

They can't even animate something on their own, that's how small they are as a company. They admitted basically that in order to get BG3 this BG:EE needs to sell well, and since they can do so little with BG:EE due to contracts and small budget, aren't they basically admitting it's a cash grab?

Nostalgia for Baldur's Gate will probably cause a lot of folks to buy the game believing it will be something better than the original and more convenient, and arguably 18$ is not THAT big of a price, considering they won't get the whole sum themselves, but still, i don't know what they think they're doing when they are so limited.

The chances of BG, that sold around 5 million copies throughout its history (all games), to sell well today on Macs, iPads and PC, without any kind of visual enhancement, after 14 years, are rather low i'd say. If you want this to sell well so you potentially make BG3, well good luck.

I am thinking of 2 possibilities :

1) They are just trying to establish how much of the fan base is left and see if it's worthy to continue making isometric games in 2D.

2) Bioware wants to actually see that, so when and if it's time for BG3 to be made, Beamdog gets thrown out lol.

waywardOne

Arcane
I will gladly replay BG1 on bg2 engine without having to install 50 mods.
I've got a .bat file you can customize to install whatever component of whatever mod automatically. I assumed this is what everyone did.

Gord

Arcane
I am thinking of 2 possibilities :

Has the whole licensing mess been solved in the last few years?
I read some article 2-3 years ago according to which the whole licensing of D&D and Forgotten Realms for computer games was a terrible mess due to WotC/Atari/whoever else was involved being at odds and not able to reach any compromise about it.

TripJack

Hedonist
why is this thread in the crpg forum?

it is being released on the ipad console isnt it?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I read some article 2-3 years ago according to which the whole licensing of D&D and Forgotten Realms for computer games was a terrible mess due to WotC/Atari/whoever else was involved being at odds and not able to reach any compromise about it.

Yes, the D&D licensing issue was resolved a while ago between Atari and WotC.

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
screen01.jpg

screen02.jpg

screen03.jpg

Pein

Novice
How does that look any different from the existing Baldur's Gate?

I can't see any kind of graphical enhancements like they said they would do.

But wait, they added blur, and they will alter some sprites a tiny bit, using a MOD...

:bravo:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've got a .bat file you can customize to install whatever component of whatever mod automatically. I assumed this is what everyone did.
I'm highly interested in that bat file with its compressed mods. Can you give me a hint where can I get it? Gibberling3 maybe?

waywardOne

Arcane
I'm highly interested in that bat file with its compressed mods. Can you give me a hint where can I get it? Gibberling3 maybe?

It's not a file but more of a "how to".

c/o Ronin c/o Azazello @SHS

1. Create a new .txt file in your BGII - SoA directory and name it mysetup.bat
2. Right click on it and choose "edit"
3. Look at your Weidu.log as below. You want the component numbers. If this is the first time you're doing this, either the mod will have to be installed already or you can work out the component numbers from its tp2:
Code:
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
                // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
                // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #0 // BG2 Fixpack - Core Fixes
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #1 // BG2 Fixpack - Game Text Update
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #3 // BETA Core Fixes (please check the readme!)
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Party Gets XP for Sending Keldorn to Reconcile With Maria
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #101 // Improved Spell Animations
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #102 // Cromwell's Forging Actually Takes a Day
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #103 // Mixed-Use Dagger Fixes
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #104 // Ghreyfain's Holy Symbol Fixes
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #106 // Giants Receive Penalties When Attacking Halflings,  Dwarves, and Gnomes
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #107 // Remove Dual-Classing Restriction from Archers  and Stalkers
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #108 // Remove Second Attribute Bonus for Evil Path in  Wrath Hell Trial
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #109 // Corrected Summoned Demon Behavior
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #110 // Additional Script Fixes
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #111 // Bard Song Fixes
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #112 // Wizard Slayers Cause Miscast Magic on Ranged Attacks
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #113 // Additional Alignment Fixes
                ~BG2FIXPACK/SETUP-BG2FIXPACK.TP2~ #0 #114 // Change Free Action to Protect Against Stun
[COLOR=#ffcc99][/code/[/COLOR]

Now in your bat file, enter this
Code:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]rem @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]  rem Ronin's Mega Install[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]  rem @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]               echo -------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]  echo Just sit back and watch[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]  Echo  ~*~*~*~*~*~[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]  pause[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]  Setup-bg2fixpack.exe    --language 0  --skip-at-view  --force-install-list    0 1 3 100 101 102 103 104 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]
I don't know what any of that stuff does, but I'd bet you can skip everything but that last line. You can add as many mods as you want. Language 0 is usually English and can be changed to whatever that mod supports. Skip-at-view ignores the readme popups. Force-install just says install these components without requiring an input.

You can also make a bat to mass uninstall the mods, just make sure you do them in reverse of install order:

Code:
Setup-ModC.exe --language 0 --uninstall[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]Setup-ModB.exe --language 0 --uninstall[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma]Setup-ModA.exe --language 0 --uninstall

waywardOne

Arcane
Holy shit. Editing CODE here is super fucked up. Ignore fucking everything in brackets in CODE.

waywardOne

Arcane
Well, I've had a look at their "fixes" thread and not only is there nothing in there not already fixed by mods, they can't even be arsed to give correct credit where due. Asc64 is getting particularly fucked over.

I'm actively hoping this project tanks and Beamdog goes under.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Asc64 is getting particularly fucked over.

Yeah. Considering the work Ascension64 has done on this fucking game it must be horrifying to see it get used for commercial purposes in such a ham-fisted way. It doesn't help that he's such a nice guy on top of things.

Fuck Oster and his bullshit. He should be ashamed of himself.

waywardOne

Arcane

What I find particularly irritating is how he proclaims such great love for the game yet knew nothing about the mod tools available or what mods had already done until the community handed them all over on a platter. You'd think at some point during the 18 months they say they worked on negotiating the rights to this that they'd try to familiarize themselves a little bit. I'm beginning to think every word out of his mouth is a lie.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

What I find particularly irritating is how he proclaims such great love for the game yet knew nothing about the mod tools available or what mods had already done until the community handed them all over on a platter. You'd think at some point during the 18 months they say they worked on negotiating the rights to this that they'd try to familiarize themselves a little bit.

What is most baffling is that they were actually surprised that the community's initial response was "yo, I guess that sounds k', but what about mods?" Like they were completely oblivious to the fact that anyone who still played this game never did it without a fucktion of that shit.

I'm beginning to think every word out of his mouth is a lie.

The Codex actually got an interview with them. At first they were very positive. On April 18, Cameron Tofer said they'd give us the answers "tommorrow." I've later spoken with Oster who was curious about some unrelated stuff. We exchanged something like three or four e-mails after which I asked about the interview and suddenly he didn't respond.

None of the questions were that critical (we knew very little about the project back then), but the last 5 questions were all concerned with mod compatability (very detailed, very specific questions about TobEx and stuff like that), and there was one question that sounded something like "how would you calm the fans who are scared this is just a thinly veiled ipad port?"

Can't help thinking they ended up not replying because they didn't have a god damned clue how to answer the modding questions. All the interviews they did give ended up having extremely little to do with modding, primarily because the "journalists" knew little about the subject matter, I suspect.

MMXI

Arcane
This is what happens when you let a mollusc upgrade a classic video game.

waywardOne

Arcane
All the interviews they did give ended up having extremely little to do with modding, primarily because the "journalists" knew little about the subject matter, I suspect.

A glance at some forums (BGEE and SHS in particular) shows the same thing. There's a few old school modders involved, but I'm getting the vibe they're not completely on board and are doing mostly to (a) make sure they get proper credit and (b) influence the development to stay non-BGEE-mod compatible. Of course, there are some who are more than happy to suck Beamdog's dick for a shot at a forum badge or moderator priveleges. The shills are particularly irritating and seem to be taking cues from American politics, as so:

1. Direly misinterpret the question, complaint, or criticism into a more petty and insignificant form.
2. Belittle the ingratitude of the critic towards such hard working devs.
3. Completely ignore even the now-skewed question and instead answer a totally irrelevant and unnecessary one.

The dev (or is he just their Stanley Woo?) named Phillip Daigle is a cocksucker of note, even giving out snarky responses that would make Gaider look humble and conciliatory.

[edit]

According to this forum's description --
For all RPGs that are designed with the PC first and foremost in mind
-- I propose that this thread be moved elsewhere since clearly this 'game' does not fit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom