Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

MMXI

Arcane
I'm not sure which came first, the fellating or the beta testing.
It's simultaneous.

"Trent, we'll need you to slide deep inside us if we're ever to catch your resilient bugs. With enough huffing and puffing we'll blow their house down and expose them all in an explosion of creamy delight."

Mini-campaign, huh. Completely outside of anything to do with BG, like another Durlag's Tower or Watcher's Keep. I hated those things. Combat masturbation. Stories so stupid I regretted reading the dialogs instead of just blindly selecting responses.
What?

Kahlis

Cipher
Haha, yeah, what a hero. What really annoys me is how people keep herping about how Trent Oster and Cam Tofer were highly involved in the original BG. No, according to Mobygames, Oster was involved in graphic modelling and Tofer did "extra programming", certainly not the "lead programmer" as people keep saying.
Not even. I think he's listed in the BG1 credits as a "manager" or "director" of the 3D artists. He himself has about as much techincal skill as Todd Howard.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Has anyone asked him and/or got a reply RE: the blurriness on Twitter?

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Someone said the bluriness is a jpg resizing artifact. They will upload better screenshots.
Wait, so they... took screenshots... and they upsized them in Photoshop? Isn't that contrary to every other game ever, where they take them at stupid-high resolutions and then scale them down? Madness.

Turjan

Arcane
Someone said the bluriness is a jpg resizing artifact. They will upload better screenshots.
Wait, so they... took screenshots... and they upsized them in Photoshop? Isn't that contrary to every other game ever, where they take them at stupid-high resolutions and then scale them down? Madness.
Oh, I didn't want to excuse their stupidity. I'm just relating what someone else just told me. It's supposed to be an answer in the FAQ (I didn't bother to check).

Oh man. It looks like they ran those screenshots through that goddawful HQx3 filter or something. I would laugh pretty hard if that were how they ended up increasing the resolution.

I think this actually looks inferior to some fan made mods. Weak.

I would say that it looks inferior to every fan made mod. In fact, if you have never released a mod for BG, you are still a better modder than these guys, because you have done nothing while they have added negative value. Even if you have released a mod, and it ended up horrible and liked by no one, it would still have a chance of being better than this visual diarrhea.

This would literally be infinitely better if EA had simply paid Avenger to work on GemRB full time for a few months and then started selling BG2 with a bundled GemRB install for $10 a pop.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
screenshot04.jpg

What? No Bloom? How can they expect to sell a game in this day and age without Bloom? After all, nothing "enhances" graphics more than Bloom.

circ

Arcane
My fucking ass it is. There's no way bad jpg compression blurs IN SELECT PLACES only. Personal opinion? They loaded background files in PS, used a pinch tool to give it a 3D appearance, thought it looked 'good enough lol' and came up with some bullshit.

waywardOne

Arcane
They really don't know what they're doing. Keep in mind Oster was lead for NWN. The best things about NWN were the toolset and multiplayer, aspects he had nothing to do with. The worst things were the plot, the dialog, the music, the plot, the characters, the retarded graphics, and the plot. They did a good job of implenting 3e, but 3e was far more crpg-friendly (tiered, linear) than 2e.

Unless they release new tools, and considering how much they're relying on existing mods and active modders to help make this game, I don't see that as likely.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
3E more linear than 2E?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hahaohwow.jpg

As for the rest, you're completely right. I don't what the fuck Oster is up to.

Kahlis

Cipher
Very skillful work, J_C. If you don't mind, I've expanded upon your original concept and envisioned what the final version of the game might look like, with new ENHANCED touch-friendly interface:

JYmhS.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
it's missing the facebook/twitter button

'Lol, smeared that bouty hunter'
Though maybe Beamdog already has achievements infrastructure? They serve the same purpose for people who dislike composing text.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Why the fuck is everything blurry?

wIzFA.jpg

What is this shit?! :x

The blurriness is either texture filtering or anti aliasing being applied. It's a lazy way of removing the pixelation from BG's old art assets, rather than re-rendering the old backgrounds/character art. (which probably don't exist anymore)

MMXI

Arcane
Am I the only one who thinks the character sprites look better now? I'm trying to imagine them on top of the original unfiltered backgrounds. Shame about the rest of the graphics though.

Kahlis

Cipher
Eh, I'm sure there's many people who think otherwise but I personally prefer the comforting clarity of being able to distinguish every individual pixel in a sprite from having a blurry, unfocused blob of colors on the screen. Makes me feel as though I'm running at a lower resolution or something.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The entire graphics scaling/blurring shit is a 100% no buy from me.

Good luck with your sales there. I'll continue to play the originals in all it's 100% no scaled shit bullshit backgrounds. The originals are utterly beautiful. <3

MetalCraze

Arcane
I doubt backgrounds there are the only thing that is shit. Judging by how they want to sell us an arena quest for $20, backgrounds may be the most beautiful thing about this milkage.

And don't forget - they are planning on milking this with DLCs even further.

So I heard you think that old games can be raped with sequels only?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The blurriness is either texture filtering or anti aliasing being applied. It's a lazy way of removing the pixelation from BG's old art assets, rather than re-rendering the old backgrounds/character art. (which probably don't exist anymore)

Pixelation is only an issue if running the game at small resolutions like 640x480 which I think original vanilla BG1 uses.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Very skillful work, J_C. If you don't mind, I've expanded upon your original concept and envisioned what the final version of the game might look like, with new ENHANCED touch-friendly interface:

JYmhS.jpg
Great work! I'm glad that you remainded faithfull to the source material.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom