Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

a cut of domestic sheep prime

If someone wants to say that they were shit when they came out, I'd agree with them. That's not the consensus on the Codex.
They're still kind of shit though. If only due to the fact that they continue to be broken, continue to have the same crappy dlc party npcs in them in them etc.

I agree that they're better, but a polished turd is still objectively shit.
Can't argue if you don't bring up any evidence.
I did. You like Neera. A whiny garbage little npc and a wild mage to boot - which is still a broken class.
Even if they are bad, it's optional content that has no real bearing on the game.
No, you are forced to encounter several of them. hat's not optional. There's a mod that removes them, but I'm not counting mods here.
And clearly I'm not the only one who thought they weren't that bad.
So you're not the only one on earth with crap taste. Must be very comforting for you.
Except it's only unbalanced if you go out of your way to do so. I played on hard and there were several fights in the game that required various reloads and tactics to get out of with everyone alive.
Maybe you just suck then.

Again, I won't say that it breaks the game completely. BG had several cheese items in it and you could just choose not to use them, but again, it's not an enhancement. It literally dumbs down the game.
Your argument was that the EEs are easier for dumb people to figure out than mods. Again, why did we need a bunch of lazy, dumb newbies introduced into the fanbase?
Why do we need anything?
:nocountryforshitposters:
It's objectively a good thing if we want more games like this.
Except we aren't getting more games like this. BG was 20 years ago. The dev team that made the original is gone and these new guys are like autistic modders that keep adding buggy, dumb ideas and characters in.

We've seen SoD. We know Beamdog isn't half of what Black Isle was and that their direction isn't even close.

*shrug* I never had to deal with any of that shit, so it was definitely worth it for me.
You never experienced a single bug. Good for you. For those of us that don't live in our own wishful imagination, we notice the new bugs and are annoyed to have paid extra for them.

Especially when each patch that comes out stands a chance of breaking the game entirely, yet again.

Last edited by a moderator:

I use retard and cocksucker just as much as I do faggot. Lots of faggots on this thread through.
So you like to talk about sucking cocks and say homo, homosexual and faggot a lot.

:updatedmytxt:

Are you referring to the latest 2.5 patch? This would be particularly hilarious for me because I tried a playthrough before 2.5 and got several CTD bugs, and someone here went full retard on me and said that as long as Beamdog continue to improve the game, it was the game that mattered, and it was pricks like me who didn't report bugs that left each release of the game in the shit condition it's in.
"Stop talking about the bugs, I didn't notice any! It's great how it is now! But the bugs are your fault for not reporting them!"

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Use Lefreut's UI for EET. It's p. great.
Thank you, that’s a great UI mod. The last time we discussed the pros and cons of the EEs, I recall that you had no problem with the 2.x journal presentation. Rather, I believe that you liked it. Did you change your mind, or are you willing to put up with the regressed journal UI for the other parts?

I'm not sure what you're alluding to here - I believe my point was simply that I think the journal was one of the worst parts of the original BGs, and that this one is better, though still clumsy. If I said I actively thought it was good compared to other journals I was speaking in error.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If only due to the fact that they continue to be broken, continue to have the same crappy dlc party npcs in them in them etc.

I agree that they're better, but a polished turd is still objectively shit.
You never experienced a single bug. Good for you. For those of us that don't live in our own wishful imagination, we notice the new bugs and are annoyed to have paid extra for them.
Not sure what you want me to say nigga. I didn't have to deal with any bugs throughout multiple play throughs, so of course I'm going to judge the game based on that metric.
I did. You like Neera. A whiny garbage little npc and a wild mage to boot - which is still a broken class.
Only whiny if you let her be. I shut that bitches shit down real quick. I thought it was kinda accurate to what adventuring with a woman would be tbh.
No, you are forced to encounter several of them. hat's not optional.
Pretending that a brief 5 minute encounter ruins an entire game is disingenuous and you know it.
Maybe you just suck then.

Again, I won't say that it breaks the game completely. BG had several cheese items in it and you could just choose not to use them, but again, it's not an enhancement. It literally dumbs down the game.
Nah, I just enjoy roleplaying and craft parties based off of what fits my character versus combat effectiveness. And again, what items are broken, you didn't name any.
Your argument was that the EEs are easier for dumb people to figure out than mods. Again, why did we need a bunch of lazy, dumb newbies introduced into the fanbase?
This kind of hyper elitism is so fucking stupid. It's a computer roleplaying game, calm the fuck down and get the fuck off of your high horse. I know lots of people that barely spend time playing games and don't want to have to fuck with mods. That doesn't mean they're retards, it means that they have a life. The more people that are introduced to the fanbase, the better other games that are in a similar vein of quality do. I'll use myself as an example.

The EE of IWD led me to the rest of the IE games. The IE games led me to older classics such as KoDP, Grim Fandango, KotOR, etc. Those games led me to this forum, which in turn led me to UnderRail and other games. I never would have known about any of those games if it wasn't for the EE. Now factor this out to thousands of people, and you have games such as Underrail or Age of Decadence doing better, which will lead to more games like them, which I think everyone will agree is fucking incline.
Except we aren't getting more games like this. BG was 20 years ago. The dev team that made the original is gone and these new guys are like autistic modders that keep adding buggy, dumb ideas and characters in.

We've seen SoD. We know Beamdog isn't half of what Black Isle was and that their direction isn't even close.
Games like this doesn't necessarily mean IE games. PoE, Tyranny, Pathfinder, Copper Dreams, Realms Beyond, Underrail, Age of Decadence, etc, are all games "like this". Sure PoE was shit, but Underrail was great. There are going to be shit games but there will also be good ones, unless people stop making them; in which case we wont have anything. There is a direct relationship between people that end up enjoying games like BG and IWD, and whether or not they'll like other good RPGs.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Thank you, that’s a great UI mod. The last time we discussed the pros and cons of the EEs, I recall that you had no problem with the 2.x journal presentation. Rather, I believe that you liked it. Did you change your mind, or are you willing to put up with the regressed journal UI for the other parts?

I'm not sure what you're alluding to here - I believe my point was simply that I think the journal was one of the worst parts of the original BGs, and that this one is better, though still clumsy. If I said I actively thought it was good compared to other journals I was speaking in error.

The journal was broken in the previous release. Is it working now? Assuming it is - I suppose it only took them 6 years right?.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Are you referring to the latest 2.5 patch? This would be particularly hilarious for me because I tried a playthrough before 2.5 and got several CTD bugs, and someone here went full retard on me and said that as long as Beamdog continue to improve the game, it was the game that mattered, and it was pricks like me who didn't report bugs that left each release of the game in the shit condition it's in.
"Stop talking about the bugs, I didn't notice any! It's great how it is now! But the bugs are your fault for not reporting them!"

Ok, ok, just take it easy. It seems that the actual fans aren't really pulling their weight, so let me make it my top priority. :incline:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The journal was broken in the previous release. Is it working now? Assuming it is - I suppose it only took them 6 years right?.

I'm using LeFreut's UI so I wouldn't know

Pretending that a brief 5 minute encounter ruins an entire game is disingenuous and you know it.
Multiple encounters. More if you're naive enough to take them with you. You talk about all the new people introduced to BG and this is what they're seeing? Sad.

I didn't say his alone ruins it. Go back to the list I wrote for you earlier.
And again, what items are broken, you didn't name any.
For example: Stupifer used to be more broken than it is now. It's still pretty broken though. No reason to add such a weapon to the game.

25% chance to stun with no save? Someone must have been "enhanced" as a kite when they decided to put that one in.

Again, I don't say any one of these things breaks the game (except the game breaking bugs, those break the game), it just isn't needed and together add up to a rather shit Enhanced Edition that no one asked for.
This kind of hyper elitism is so fucking stupid.
It's not hyper elitism to not want a huge wave of retards in your 20 year old modding community.
calm the fuck down and get the fuck off of your high horse
You're the one who seems upset.
I know lots of people that barely spend time playing games and don't want to have to fuck with mods.
They have the time to play a trilogy spanning well over 100 hours of gameplay, but not to download mods and read the instructions?
That doesn't mean they're retards, it means that they have a life. The more people that are introduced to the fanbase, the better other games that are in a similar vein of quality do. I'll use myself as an example.
The guy who is in here ranting about sucking cocks and calling everyone who disagrees with him a homosexual homo-faggot?

Great example. So glad Beamshit brought you into the fold. :roll:
Games like this doesn't necessarily mean IE games. PoE, Tyranny, Pathfinder, Copper Dreams, Realms Beyond, Underrail, Age of Decadence, etc, are all games "like this".
So by giving Beamdog money, it means that Iron Tower Studios for example, will make another game? :lol:

Vault Dweller why didn't you mention this?

Seems to be working. It's not what I'd call a journal though. It feels like using wikipedia or something.

Sykar

Arcane
Note the faggot that rated my response to him retarded, but has nothing to say in terms of a response. Sykar

Because you are another brain dead fuckwit who uses the flimsiest arguments to excuse the shit Beamtard has pulled who did nothing but leeching of an actual classic. Not only that but they are completely invalid. Who gives a crap if a new consumer group buys these games, something for which you have little to no evidence by the way when it does not go to the people who are responsible for 95% of the actual product? Instead these filthy talentless hacks are now allowed to pocket it while pretending like they did us a service, even though the majority of the games were fixed in the first place by actually talented modders. To add insult to injury they fucking broke more than they fixed and it took them years to fix their broken shit. Who needed that? Retards who are too fucking stupid to take half an hour time to DL all the mods and some readmes when the entire trilogy is worth 100+ hours gameplay? Are you joking? And you think I would want such lazy retards as new fans for these classics? Moving on, their graphics "improvements" looks like some shitty modder clobbered in together in the 5 minute break he took between the two pr0n movies he was wanking to.
The writing is shit because it is written by insufferable SJWs who think that shit like transgenderism and "muh diversity" has a place in the fucking D&D world.

You and your fellow Beamderp apologists are the epitomy of the decline. Why don't you do us all a favor and post on RPGwatch or right on the Beamturd forums? You seem to be much more fitting in what that... crowd.

Last edited:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Multiple encounters. More if you're naive enough to take them with you. You talk about all the new people introduced to BG and this is what they're seeing? Sad.

I didn't say his alone ruins it. Go back to the list I wrote for you earlier.
Your list was bugs and added content. Bugs seem to vary from person to person and the added content isn't that bad. It doesn't ruin shit, you're just biased.
it just isn't needed and together add up to a rather shit Enhanced Edition that no one asked for.
Meh. This is nit picking. People shitted on Sawyer and his quest for balance (they were right to do so) and here you are bitching about something as inane as one item, pretending it's a big deal. If the Stupifier was in the original game, no one would have batted an eye. They also fixed it later so w/e.
It's not hyper elitism to not want a huge wave of retards in your 20 year old modding community.
You're contradicting yourself. These 20 year old retards are too fucking stupid to handle mods remember?
They have the time to play a trilogy spanning well over 100 hours of gameplay, but not to download mods and read the instructions?
There's a big difference between loading up a game and pressing play, versus downloading rar files and moving shit around. And sometimes that shit doesn't even work and you have to download specific dll files and other kinds of shit. It was annoying as fuck trying to get KotOR 1 and 2 to work on my computer, that shit would have stopped any casual from playing those games. Same thing applies to modding for BG.
calling everyone who disagrees with him a homosexual homo-faggot?

Great example. So glad Beamshit brought you into the fold. :roll:
Way to describe 90% of the Codex. Get the fuck off my dick faggot.
So by giving Beamdog money, it means that Iron Tower Studios for example, will make another game? :lol:
Mhm, that's exactly what I said you disingenuous fucker. Face the facts. The EE introduced a new audience to these kinds of games which in turn helps expand the audience of other RPGs both old and new. That's a fact, and that fact alone is enough to justify the creation of the EE.
Who gives a crap if a new consumer group buys these games
The companies making these games you fucking autist. Open your fucking eyes you brain dead retard. There are only so many 30 and 40 year old virgins that still want to play RPGs who were around for when these original games were still released. If you don't make an attempt to bring in new consumers without compromising the actual game, than the amount of product we receive will continue to dwindle.
Their graphics "improvements" looks like some shitty modder clobbered together in the 5 minute break he took between the two pr0n movies he was wanking to.
You're right, this
maxresdefault.jpg
looks better than this.
screenshot_1920_1080_WWAFRCY.jpg
At the very least the EE looks on par with the very best of the visual mods. At best it's a big improvement. Get your eyes checked you inbred retard.
The writing is shit because it is written by insufferable SJWs who think that shit like transgenderism has a place in the fucking D&D world.
Nice job extrapolating SoD to the original BG.

Both of you are two retards arguing against something solely based on biased hate, and are completely disregarding all the good things that the EE did for both BG and modern RPGs coming out.

Your list was bugs and added content.
Pretty sure I was more specific than "added content", but then I don't read on a 1st grade level.
It doesn't ruin shit, you're just biased.
Airtight argument. Allow me to rebut:

It does ruin shit, you're just biased.
Meh. This is nit picking.
I'm sure you'd like to believe that.
People shitted on Sawyer and his quest for balance (they were right to do so) and here you are bitching about something as inane as one item
I know I've covered your reading level, but I'll still ask you to look up what "for example" means on the off chance you can understand it.

You asked for one and I gave it to you, now you're bitching because I gave it to you.

Make up your mind, kiddo.
You're contradicting yourself. These 20 year old retards are too fucking stupid to handle mods remember?
We're not 20 years old. The modding community is. Try to keep up.

And no, we've been handling mods just fine.
There's a big difference between loading up a game and pressing play, versus downloading rar files and moving shit around.
wQUdDPw.gif

Way to describe 90% of the Codex.
Gonna need a source on that stat. ;)
Get the fuck off my dick faggot.
repressedhomorainbow.gif

Mhm, that's exactly what I said you disingenuous fucker.
How am I being disingenuous if I'm saying exactly what you said. Pls no confuse. :M
The EE introduced a new audience to these kinds of games which in turn helps expand the audience of other RPGs both old and new. That's a fact, and that fact alone is enough to justify the creation of the EE.
People could just as easily have downloaded the old BG games, or Age Of Decadence, or some other RPG.

And again, having you here is hardly a benefit.
you're right, this
maxresdefault.jpg
looks better than this.
1) that's a version of a widescreen mod from 2010

2) The screenshot is altered for the thumbnail of a Youtube video. BGT and TUTU widescreen mods didn't look like that. I played them. You can even go back a few hundred pages and see screenshots:

XxE5o.jpg

If you ask me, yeah, this is a lot better than Beamcrap's new interface. Especially the dialog window, which Beamdog somehow made worse by making the area with actual dialog need to scroll and not be expandable, only the history has a flyout.
The writing is shit because it is written by insufferable SJWs who think that shit like transgenderism has a place in the fucking D&D world.

As if the nigger vampire lesbian in BG2EE wasn't an SJW invention. It's pretty obvious who is writing this new content and what their tastes are.
Both of you are two retards arguing against something solely based on biased hate, and are completely disregarding all the good things that the EE did for both BG and modern RPGs coming out.
boohoo, someone doesn't like a game I like! better scream about dicks and cocks and then call them faggots for two pages! why can't they see how great it is that Beamderp brought me to their fine community???
:nocountryforshitposters:

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
boohoo, someone doesn't like a game I like! better scream about dicks and cocks and then call them faggots for two pages!
The irony of this statement is hilarious, because the first person to start throwing around insults like retard and faggot were people who responded to my defense of the EEs of these games.

This entire argument comes down to whether or not the added content and bugs in the game were bad enough to make the EEs of these games shit. Complaints about the UI are fucking stupid, especially because the only real difference between the two screenshots of BGT and BG:EE are the dialog boxes and the actual color of the UI. The added content isn't as bad as people on this forum like to whine it is, and the vast majority of the bugs were patched out. And even ignoring those two things, it's clear that the EE of these games was an overall good solely due to the sheer amount of people it reintroduced into the hardcore RPG genre. That's verifiable by checking the steam sales for BG, which is somewhere between 500,000 to a 1,000,000 units. Pretending that new people getting reintroduced to the RPG genre is a bad thing is disingenuous and stupid.

Complaints about the UI are fucking stupid
The look and dialog area are objectively worse, especially in SoD. Again, the dialog area forces scrolling more often now. Also, the journal is no longer a journal. It's some sort of wikipedia window.
The added content isn't as bad as people on this forum like to whine it is
Coming from someone who likes Neera. :roll:

Your taste is horrible and you're the one who is whining right now.

We don't like the EE. Live with it.
and the vast majority of the bugs were patched out.
The latest patch broke the game according to some and I still have a slight lag on enemy death, but keep telling lies no one will believe but you.

We have the game. We can see the bugs with our own eyes.
And even ignoring those two things
You have to because they're bogus.
it's clear that the EE of these games was an overall good solely due to the sheer amount of people it reintroduced into the hardcore RPG genre.
You keep spouting this nonsense line. If you're an example of what's been "reintroduced" (what?) to RPGs, we don't want you.
That's verifiable by checking the steam sales for BG, which is somewhere between 500,000 to a 1,000,000 units.
Which has nothing to do with the fact it's the only copy of BG on Steam and not everyone knows about GOG.

Pretending that all of those people are either new or hadn't been playing RPGs for close to 2 decades and were "reintroduced" by this particular game is what's disingenuous and stupid.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
The look and dialog area are objectively worse, especially in SoD.
I never bothered playing SoD, but the UI in the two screenshots you linked are near identical.
Coming from someone who likes Neera. :roll:

Your taste is horrible and you're the one who is whining right now.

We don't like the EE. Live with it.
You're right, I'm the one who has filled up 200 pages worth of text whining about how much the EE sucks.

Wait...
The latest patch broke the game according to some and I still have a slight lag on enemy death, but keep telling lies no one will believe but you.
And the last patch works great according to others. There were just as many people who had issues with the original game. You have no argument.
Which has nothing to do with the fact it's the only copy of BG on Steam and not everyone knows about GOG.

Pretending that all of those people are either new or hadn't been playing RPGs for close to 2 decades and were "reintroduced" by this particular game is what's disingenuous and stupid.
You're right. 500,000+ people who already owned a copy of Baldur's Gate just went on Steam and GOG to rebuy an inferior product. If even a fifth of the owners are new, that's still anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 new purchases which is a substantial amount of people. "
If you're an example of what's been "reintroduced" (what?) to RPGs, we don't want you.
Nigga, who the fuck are you? I'll extend you the same fucking offer I did to Maxie and FeelTheRads, because you're undoubtedly another grown ass man that gets all sensitive and angry about some shit that people write over the internet.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
What happened to this game? I used to be able to play it on my shitty computer with no issues. The new big update makes the game lag a lot. I can only play it on my custom computer now. Tried everything from the forums.

Curratum

ItsChon, why are you even arguing with the delusionals who think Beamdog somehow destroyed the game, ESPECIALLY interface-wise? You go on about grown-ass men getting inflamed, yet you've probably written over 2000 words in here, arguing with them.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
ItsChon, why are you even arguing with the delusionals who think Beamdog somehow destroyed the game, ESPECIALLY interface-wise? You go on about grown-ass men getting inflamed, yet you've probably written over 2000 words in here, arguing with them.
I like to type shit out while I'm on my phone at work cause I have nothing better to do, but, you're right.

Cael

Arcane

Actually, the EE added homosexual love interests into the original BG as well as a horribly out of place special snowflake lesbian black ninja vampire.

Sykar was right.

Citizen

ItsChon
I recommend you searileth mod for your next bg walkthrough if you really enjoy beamdog NPCs.

What is that "reintroducing the genre" shit you are talking about? Why couldn't all the retards just go to gog and buy bg for 3.5 potato before? (or just download the original .iso from numerous abadonware websites) Does EE add something of value to the game?

To me it looks like a cheap scam. Low effort mod compilation + some crap to appeal to SJW NuBioware crowd + original BG removed from all digital stores = gullible degenerates like you gib dolla bilz.

There's a big difference between loading up a game and pressing play, versus downloading rar files and moving shit around.
People who can't use PC shouldn't even go near it, let alone play games.

Actually, I think this is one of the reasons games were better back then - the process of installing and launching a game was a solid >65 IQ barrier to separate retards from actual people and devs could make a little bit more interesting games.

I never bothered playing SoD, but the UI in the two screenshots you linked are near identical.
The dialog area is functionally different. You'd need to play it to see it. Again, it forces more scrolling.
You're right, I'm the one who has filled up 200 pages worth of text whining about how much the EE sucks.
Complaining about our complaining. Boohoo.
And the last patch works great according to others.
So? It doesn't help the people who paid money to have a game that repeatedly breaks.
There were just as many people who had issues with the original game. You have no argument.
The original game was patched several times within a year or so of its release and that was it. This is either incompetence or feature creep AND incompetence.
You're right. 500,000+ people who already owned a copy of Baldur's Gate just went on Steam and GOG to rebuy an inferior product.
It's the ONLY version of the product available thanks to Beamdog.

Why is that inconceivable? It sold millions of copies. Most people lose CDs over time and many new laptops etc don't even have CD players anymore.
If even a fifth of the owners are new, that's still anywhere from 100,000 to 200,000 new purchases which is a substantial amount of people.
Wait, new? You said they were "reintroduced" before. Pick an argument already.

1) Again, you have no proof that a significant portion are new. Only your own anecdotal story.
2) Again, we don't view it as a good thing that people like you are here. You have bad taste and are annoying.

You can unintroduce yourself. We'll survive without you somehow. :M
Nigga, who the fuck are you?
Ligma Balls.
I'll extend you the same fucking offer I did to Maxie and FeelTheRads, because you're undoubtedly another grown ass man that gets all sensitive and angry about some shit that people write over the internet.
:planetickets:

Feel free to buy a ticket to St. Petersburg any time. We can knife fight over it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom