Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I played BG 1 EE (added NPCs modded out) until I had explored Beregost.

It was an inferior experience to BGT.
The only real benefit was that it was less of a hassle to switch between sword&shield and 2H weapons.

The economy was worse, making a mockery of the Iron Crisis.
No Hard Times mod.
Not a very good spawn system. Example: you'd walk past a certain spot with your scout, and then seconds later a group of enemies would appear out of thin air in the same spot when your party followed.

Worth the 2.50 I spent only to get digital versions of the original BG1.

Incantatar

Cipher
I can't see a single thing you criticized that's different to vanilla except the absence of a mod that is basically just a price patch. Install Item Randomizer and SCS with their options.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I can't see a single thing you criticized that's different to vanilla except the absence of a mod that is basically just a price patch. Install Item Randomizer and SCS with their options.

I did install SCS.
And I didn't compare it to vanilla. I clearly stated that I played BGT.

Incantatar

Cipher
BGT had several problems of its own, and it's funny you mention Hard Times together, which was TUTU only for the longest time.
The spawn system in TUTU and BGT were always crude hacks. They both acknowledged that. If you prefer them that's your taste. In vanilla BG spawns were more fun imo. BGT and TUTU e,g, gave the player the ability to run faster than monsters and animals, which he didn't have in vanilla in several cases.

PrettyDeadman

The only thing wrong now is the content. And that's removable without much work.

What happened to "EEs are superior because installing mods is too much work"?

fr7uTVh.jpg

hell bovine

Arcane
The spawn system in TUTU and BGT were always crude hacks. They both acknowledged that. If you prefer them that's your taste. In vanilla BG spawns were more fun imo. BGT and TUTU e,g, gave the player the ability to run faster than monsters and animals, which he didn't have in vanilla in several cases.
Ah yes, this brings back the fond memories of playing early versions of tutu. Water was green, Beregost would corrupt your saves and the spawn system was out to get you...

Parabalus

Arcane

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
BGT had several problems of its own, and it's funny you mention Hard Times together, which was TUTU only for the longest time.
This is a bullshit lie. Also, your earlier claim that EE fixed "under the hood" stuff is great and all, but there is no proof of that, except claims by Trent and his cohorts. You also claim that they got the best modders and IE-hacker to join them - because of the fuss raised by the community that they literally stole modders work and presented it as their own, so they eventually started hiring some modders. Probably after Trent realized that it was more work than his original hack team was capable of.

And yet you're glossing over the insane amount of new bugs they introduced - "They are all fixed now" well let me doubt that statement - and no, there is no way to go back to the old UI colour scheme nor is there a way to disable the shitty blur filter. And this is on top of all the lies Trent made about the EEs, and the latest insult that you can't get originals from GOG anymore without buying the EEs.

So go suck a dick and stop defending talentless hacks. Oh wow, I don't need to install a Widescreen mod, my life is so fucking perfect now! Please Trent, can you shit in my mouth again?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Early on it was the "PAY FOR PATHC!?!?!" comments I read most often, but now-a-days when I read Beamdog and Oster hate it's mostly coming from butthurt haters of butthurt SJWs

Ultimately, Beamdog's greatest sin was a lack of humility. They were in over their heads in the early days but they acted like arrogant bigshots. A more conciliatory approach could have changed everything. Imagine a Beamdog where Codexers were allowed "inside the tent" from the very beginning, providing feedback on everything from fixes to pricing to additional content. Even inXile was smart enough to start out by trying to be friends with the Codex.

The problem is that they didn't give a shit. They jumped into this with the intention of making a quick cash grab and their laziness, incompetence and lack of respect for the franchise was apparent to all and they had to be beaten into submission through constant pressure from the fans. I got all the EEs through the last Steam sales and at quick glance it seems they finally got around bringing them up to a decent state, and there's some upcoming patches still in the work as well. This is how they should have been at release, instead it took years.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

They were all $10. They might have gone down to $2.50 in a 75% off sale, sure. My point is if you somehow never got them before and want the original versions now then $5 ain't a lot to pay. The "held hostage behind the EEs!!!" argument relies on the idea of paying $20 a piece for them, which would be a retardo thing to do at this point.
The retarded thing is comparing a full priced game to a sale priced one. Waiting for a sale is no fun.

Most of us already bought the originals at one point or another and just want a digital copy anyway. So I have no problem with the "held hostage" (as you put it) argument in favor of pirating the originals if you already own them.

In the end Beamsquirrel shot themselves in the foot in two ways on this issue:

1. Not releasing an EE that's GOOD ENOUGH to make you want to buy it over the originals.
2. Removing any way to legally purchase the originals. Did a great job of encouraging people to pirate them instead of giving them money for them though. :M

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Haters here are mentally not capable to give them credit for the things they actually did good work on.

There is so much wrong with the EEs that the people screeching about the things they actually got right are really trying too hard.
The only thing wrong now is the content. And that's removable without much work.

Any mod which silences all the EE VA?
I'd also be interested in a mod that gets rid of all the EE garbage NPCs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Haters here are mentally not capable to give them credit for the things they actually did good work on.

There is so much wrong with the EEs that the people screeching about the things they actually got right are really trying too hard.

Why? Free xp and loot to sell!

Robespierre

Madame Guillotine
Patron
It's Kitten Time at the GreatCrystalShrine
Make the Codex Great Again!

Here you go buddy.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Ultimately, Beamdog's greatest sin was a lack of humility. They were in over their heads in the early days but they acted like arrogant bigshots. A more conciliatory approach could have changed everything. Imagine a Beamdog where Codexers were allowed "inside the tent" from the very beginning, providing feedback on everything from fixes to pricing to additional content. Even inXile was smart enough to start out by trying to be friends with the Codex.

Somewhat aggrandizing but fair enough. I try not to dive into the behind-the-scenes dramas and whatnot, so they could have been total asshats. I'm just saying when I read all the anger and vitriol it seems focused around "SJW CUCKS!!!" and "PAY FOR PATCHES FUCK YOU!!!" rather than a clear breakdown of what the EEs added value wise.

gruntar

Augur
Somewhat aggrandizing but fair enough. I try not to dive into the behind-the-scenes dramas and whatnot, so they could have been total asshats. I'm just saying when I read all the anger and vitriol it seems focused around "SJW CUCKS!!!" and "PAY FOR PATCHES FUCK YOU!!!" rather than a clear breakdown of what the EEs added value wise.

They're a greedy slimes. They replaced Black Isle logo in PST:EE with their own. They put 10$ price tag on soundtracks that used to be free addition. I dislike many cRPG companies, but beamdog is only that one that I despise.

Unwanted

Bladeract

It's Neckbeard Shitlord. Again.
Dumbfuck
The big problem is they don't add any value. Remakes no one wanted with shittier art, VO and dialog than the originals. If they made a DnD engine like Temple of Elemental Evil for the remake or something like that, then the project would make perfect sense. Otherwise it's just a pathetic cash grab.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ultimately, Beamdog's greatest sin was a lack of humility. They were in over their heads in the early days but they acted like arrogant bigshots. A more conciliatory approach could have changed everything.

That's a direct result of them not actually being loyal connoisseurs of the original work.

The other aspect is that they aren't true professionals if they thought dabbling with the story and characters could actually make it better.

Beamdog in gaming industry is synonymous for ignoramus, wretched, vile, contemptible, reprehensible, loathsome, degrading, shameful, disreputable, disgraceful, abject, awful, base, beastly, cheap, detestable, dirty, down, ignominious, infamous, insignificant, low, mean, pitiful, slimy, sordid, worthless, no-good, low-life...

KK1001

Arbiter
The entire premise of the EEs for all the IE games should have been working closely with fans, modders, and the original devs to offer an updated experience that maintains the core identity of the game, while integrating popular mods to give a, well, enhanced experience based on a decade and a half of playtime.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Beamdog in gaming industry is synonymous for ignoramus, wretched, vile, contemptible, reprehensible, loathsome, degrading, shameful, disreputable, disgraceful, abject, awful, base, beastly, cheap, detestable, dirty, down, ignominious, infamous, insignificant, low, mean, pitiful, slimy, sordid, worthless, no-good, low-life...

That's an affront to all of those thing to compare them with Beamdog. The wretched and contemptible etc are more noble.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
The entire premise of the EEs for all the IE games should have been working closely with fans, modders, and the original devs to offer an updated experience that maintains the core identity of the game, while integrating popular mods to give a, well, enhanced experience based on a decade and a half of playtime.
Well to be fair they did reach out to Avellone to redo some dialogues in Planescape so they seem to understand their writing skills are not the best and adding him did give them al least some credibility

Cael

Arcane

I have to admit that Baeloth's line when you made it clear you want him dead was pure comedy gold: "Oh, come on!!"

Parabalus

Arcane

I have to admit that Baeloth's line when you made it clear you want him dead was pure comedy gold: "Oh, come on!!"

Baeloth's VA I found pretty ok/good throughout, but from that you come down to pure garbage like the minor NPCs in EE companion quests. Legit can't recall worse voice acting than that in any game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom