Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Sizzle

Arcane
The only good parts are the almost instantaneous loading + some of the new kits (like the sorcerer and monk ones).

But every bit of new content: the NPCs, the areas - is pure decline that makes BioWare's writing seem excellent in comparison.

And Siege of Dragonspear... well, the less said about that SJW shit-fest the better.

The backgrounds for the new areas in BGEE are the most hideous thing I have seen in a game in the last decade. The later ones are pgood tho.

They had some decent ideas but failed in the execution a lot, EE still feels smoother to play because of the loading times.

Many fan-made NPC mods are better written and designed than the new ones in EE.

And it's not like sappy, munchkin, author self-insert power fantasies should be that hard to beat by supposed professional game industry writers.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And Siege of Dragonspear... well, the less said about that SJW shit-fest the better.
Never heard this take before. What are you referring to?

The most famous example, but SoD is riddled with such content (and other equally bad writing). Check out the SoD thread for further info :D
youtube comment said:
Does she light up when you detect traps?

If you don't like it, then
r5scHw8.png

ArchAngel

Arcane

The most famous example, but SoD is riddled with such content (and other equally bad writing). Check out the SoD thread for further info :D
Not true. It only has a few instances of such stuff. The rest is similar to BG1 writing. And combat is way better than PoE.

Sizzle

Arcane

Not true. It only has a few instances of such stuff. The rest is similar to BG1 writing. And combat is way better than PoE.

It had: transsexuals (in a setting where the polymorph self spell would make that obsolete), significant changes to already established characters' personalities, blatant attempts to shoehorn hard-core leftist ideology in a goddamn fantasy game, etc.

As for the writing:

banter.jpg

So, no, it did not have writing that was similar to BG1's.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It had: transsexuals (in a setting where the polymorph self spell would make that obsolete), significant changes to already established characters' personalities, blatant attempts to shoehorn hard-core leftist ideology in a goddamn fantasy game, etc.

As for the writing:

banter.jpg

It had ONE transsexual. It had one instance of gamergame comment that was removed with a patch and it had a few less than stellar conversation, nothing really important.

The picture you posted is not one of those, this is a goofy conversation that BG1 was full off.

Sizzle

Arcane

As for the writing:

banter.jpg

It had ONE transsexual. It had one instance of gamergame comment that was removed with a patch and it had a few less than stellar conversation, nothing really important.

The picture you posted is not one of those, this is a goofy conversation that BG1 was full off.

ONE transsexual in a setting where there wouldn't be any transsexuals is one transsexual too many. Besides that and the gamergate bit, it also had: the refugee crisis commentary, changing character the writers weren't happy with (such as Safana), psychedelic Californian hippies, threatening your companion Voghiln when he calls you a wench (there's no option to take it in stride, just different shades of offendedness), and other assorted SJW-infested crap.

Also, dude, sorry, but BG1 didn't have anything like that banter.

It had its share of goofiness, yes, but nothing like this Joss Whedon-wannabe style lol-random humor.

ArchAngel

Arcane

As for the writing:

banter.jpg

ONE transsexual in a setting where there wouldn't be any transsexuals is one transsexual too many. Besides that and the gamergate bit, it also had: the refugee crisis commentary, changing character the writers weren't happy with (such as Safana), psychedelic Californian hippies, threatening your companion Voghiln when he calls you a wench (there's no option to take it in stride, just different shades of offendedness), and other assorted SJW-infested crap.

It had its share of goofiness, yes, but nothing like this Joss Whedon-wannabe style lol-random humor.
It is a magical world that can have whatever. Not everyone has access to magic that permanently changes your gender (shapeshift spells even if they are permanent can be dispelled). If it can have part lion, part snake, part dragon or part bear part owl and 100 different such examples, it can have transsexuals. Don't be retarded. What was bad in that transgender case is how it was presented which was not done well. But because you have problems for them even existing means I am talking to a mindless zealot.

Gamergate thing was removed and studio owner apologized. As far as I am concerned it didn't exist. And as a person that didn't even follow the whole gamersgate war I didn't even care it was there in the first place.

Refugee crisis ingame was not a commentary on real life refugee crisis, that was just said that way by zealots like you. It was a very logical ingame result of what was happening. The game even lets you help them or chuck them all to bits with your weapons.

"Californian" hippy part is one of the bad things I was talking about so I agree there but that is a side character that many probably didn't even talk to as he does not talk to you if you ignore him.
Voghlin part was also bad and it is other bad thing I agree about, that one conversation was not done well.

So we got 2 bad short conversations and a 2 sentence conversation with transsexual that could have been done better out of 20h of gametime? Congrats zealot, you just uncovered a jew plot to rule the world!
Don't forget to put your tinfoil hat on before you leave your bunker.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
SoD sounds cringey, but I hear alright things about the encounters. The real question is whether to pick the bullshit Cavalier kit or the bullshit Inquistor kit :)

Everything RPG thread becomes a PoE thread, and every PoE thread becomes a BG thread :lol:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I feel bad for archangel. Comes to codex - shitposts a lot, everyone hates him. Many such cases!
I come to troll except when I am at war with those that wrongly think that PoE is an excellent game or when someone bashes IE games (including SoD and EE versions) or when AoD fanboys think it is better than Underrail :D

Sizzle

Arcane

As for the writing:

banter.jpg

It is a magical world that can have whatever. Not everyone has access to magic that permanently changes your gender (shapeshift spells even if they are permanent can be dispelled). If it can have part lion, part snake, part dragon or part bear part owl and 100 different such examples, it can have transsexuals. Don't be retarded. What was bad in that transgender case is how it was presented which was not done well. But because you have problems for them even existing means I am talking to a mindless zealot.

Gamergate thing was removed and studio owner apologized. As far as I am concerned it didn't exist. And as a person that didn't even follow the whole gamersgate war I didn't even care it was there in the first place.

Refugee crisis ingame was not a commentary on real life refugee crisis, that was just said that way by zealots like you. It was a very logical ingame result of what was happening. The game even lets you help them or chuck them all to bits with your weapons.

"Californian" hippy part is one of the bad things I was talking about so I agree there but that is a side character that many probably didn't even talk to as he does not talk to you if you ignore him.
Voghlin part was also bad and it is other bad thing I agree about, that one conversation was not done well.

So we got 2 bad short conversations and a 2 sentence conversation with transsexual that could have been done better out of 20h of gametime? Congrats zealot, you just uncovered a jew plot to rule the world!

And here's an excerpt from one of the writers of this masterful continuation of a classic RPG series:

XHesMNs.png

It kinda looks like she has some sort of agenda she wants to push, but what would a zealot like me know, right? :lol:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
those that wrongly think that PoE is an excellent game or when someone bashes IE games (including SoD and EE versions) or when AoD fanboys think it is better than Underrail :D

Both those things are true, but you're right that SoD was quite good and that "SJW infested etc." is a ludicrous stretch. The commentary on things like that always sounds like people telling game devs what they can and can't write about, while seemingly having no opinion on how a game plays. I've heard people say that's an awful thing to do, not sure where.

Delterius

Arcane
ONE transsexual in a setting where there wouldn't be any transsexuals is one transsexual too many.
Are you crazy? 1 out of 10 cursed artifacts gives the wearer a free sex change operation. The other 9 might turn you into a sentient Gelatinous Cube. If anything, that anyone cares to define 'transsexuality' is what's weird about it.

ArchAngel

Arcane

As for the writing:

banter.jpg

And here's an excerpt from one of the writers of this masterful continuation of a classic RPG series:

XHesMNs.png

It kinda looks like she has some sort of agenda she wants to push, but what would a zealot like me know, right? :lol:
And still except for those few situation we talked about 99.9% of the game is free for whatever agenda she had. So all your got left is your zealot bullshit. Play the game first before repeating other people (wrong) words, you look like a retard.

Sizzle

Arcane
And still except for those few situation we talked about 99.9% of the game is free for whatever agenda she had. So all your got left is your zealot bullshit. Play the game first before repeating other people (wrong) words, you look like a retard.

Listen, I could fish out several more examples of obvious SJW-ity, but what would be the point?

You would just go: "Well, besides that, that, that, that, that, THAT and that... and maybe that, too, the game has nothing to do with SJW." :D

You like the game, we get it, fine - convince yourself that it features exemplary writing and no rabid leftist themes at all. It's your privilege prerogative ;)

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The trans character didn't bother me; I just opted to not click the one dialogue option that had them decide to tell a total stranger their whole trans history (the handling of which, by the way, was something some actual trans people had a problem with too).

The writing, on the other hand, was bad throughout the game, whether it was trying to ape Whedon's dialogue style or to 'fix' BG1 characters' personalities and attitudes.

That said, it wasn't like BG1 was a superlative example of game writing. It was thoroughly mundane, with a bunch of zany pop culture references thrown into some of the wilderness areas. SoD's overall plot is much, much worse, but its writing is just shit in a different way, in my opinion.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Listen, I could fish out several more examples of obvious SJW-ity, but what would be the point?

You would just go: "Well, besides that, that, that, that, that, THAT and that... and maybe that, too, the game has nothing to do with SJW." :D

You like the game, we get it, fine - convince yourself that it features exemplary writing and no rabid leftist themes at all. It's your privilege prerogative ;)
And if you actually had that many you would give them. So you can go back to whatever hole you crawled under from.

And who the fuck plays BG games for great writing LOL?! Writing was never the forte of BG games (or IWD games), it was great gameplay. Writing is about same quality as BG1, combat is as good or better is some places.

DeepOcean

Arcane
And who the fuck plays BG games for great writing LOL?! Writing was never the forte of BG games (or IWD games), it was great gameplay. Writing is about same quality as BG1, combat is as good or better is some places.
Nope, the writing is worse than both BG 1, BG 2, IWD 1 and 2, they all have pretty bland fantasy writing but nothing that is offensive so you could be focused on what mattered, the combat. A game doesn't need to have good writing to be good but if the game requires you talking with NPCs that make your brain melt based on the full retardation you are witnessing, I would argue that this alone reduce the quality of the game for inducing you pain caused by the contempt you feel for who wrote that crap and knowing you paid this charlatan for it.

Contempt can ruin your suspension of disbelief, if half of a game is good and the other makes you wish you could kick the bastard that dared to sell this crap to you, there is no reason for subjecting yourself to this pain.

It is wrong to compare Beamdog with Baldur's Gate Bioware, it is proper to compare it with Dragon Age Inquisition Bioware.

Lhynn

Arcane
Been playing BG2EE. Most of the added content is complete garbage, however Rasaad questline is fairly good, and the second location (the sun/moon temple) is p. good. Does anyone know who was in charge of that?

Lhynn

Arcane
Been playing BG2EE.

Meh, you should have just followed my Weidu log at the end of this post.
Most of those mods ive already played, trying different stuff now, as i mostly want to see new content, not the same old.
Every ee companion has been shit but Rasaad, hes pretty bro. Every EE addition looks cheap and retarded except for the sun and moon temple.
The one mod that has been a surprise so far is Isra. The quests are fairly mundane but they give you a sense of being in the city of coin, and there is a bit of exposition from her order weaved with her story and banter, so its done fairly well. She has possibly the ugliest portrait i have seen in any BG2 companion mod, changed that shit right away.
Most of the other crap ive installed is complete schlock that im already regretting, but the game is so big you hardly notice and 5 minutes after the fact youve already forgotten because something interesting has happened by then.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Never played BG2: EE. At the time I assessed it for the run the mods were not stable for it.

My setup is such that the Athkatla portion plays somewhat like a new game. Rogue Rebalancing hinders wealth accumulation, f.e. I'll have to get back to that run, but it's extremely time-consuming and energy-draining just to play, let alone to recount in great detail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom