Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Fairfax

Arcane
latest
becomes
latest
after you recruit her?

Seriously? :lol::lol::lol:

I wonder how intentional baiting players with a "hot white chick" and changing her into a "powerful black woman" was...

Not saying it isn't clever, but I can imagine Beamdog going "gamers are all racists, they'll never recruit a black women, we must trick her upon them!"
100%.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That is 365 different kinds of fucked up...I can't decide whether being African should make me more or less offended by this retardedness on Beamdog's part.

Edit: ok, now that I know the full context, I think it's actually a cool concept...in theory...

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Yes.

To be fair, there's a pretty cool twist to the why and wherefore of it.

The girl in the first portrait is a human dominated by the vampire in the second portrait. Recruit her, follow her quest, and you'll end up in the vampire's lair. She'll kill her and join your party in her place. She's also scarily OP, being a vamp and all.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Yes.

The girl in the first portrait is a human dominated by the vampire in the second portrait. Recruit her, follow her quest, and you'll end up in the vampire's lair. She'll kill her and join your party in her place. She's also scarily OP, being a vamp and all.

Agreed. The original (white) NPC was just a thrall meant to lead you to help free the actual vampire. Of course, the actual vampire wasn't particularly well written, but I think that holds for most of the Beamdog NPCs. It's a bit of a problem when players liked the original thrall more than the actual companion.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yes.

Agreed. The original (white) NPC was just a thrall meant to lead you to help free the actual vampire. Of course, the actual vampire wasn't particularly well written, but I think that holds for most of the Beamdog NPCs. It's a bit of a problem when players liked the original thrall more than the actual companion.
I liked the actual companion a lot. Finally a single class rogue that is actually useful. Don't care how it looks.

Bonerbill

Augur
Good Strength that lets the character actually hit stuff, bonus armor, life regeneration, immunity to non magical weapon, immunity to some elements and so on. They even gave her a cloak that lets he walk in daylight (but with stat penalties)

Still a single class thief despite her strength score, so the only thing she useful for is laying traps. She still doesn't come close to the usefulness of another certain thief you can use for the whole game (who still a good thief despite being half thief).

ArchAngel

Arcane
Good Strength that lets the character actually hit stuff, bonus armor, life regeneration, immunity to non magical weapon, immunity to some elements and so on. They even gave her a cloak that lets he walk in daylight (but with stat penalties)

Still a single class thief despite her strength score, so the only thing she useful for is laying traps. She still doesn't come close to the usefulness of another certain thief you can use for the whole game (who still a good thief despite being half thief).
Two weapon fighting, more damage per hit, vampire abilities, can fight without backstabbing. Can max out detect illusions and laying traps. Immune to many spells that disable other thieves. Will get to lvl 21 thief very fast and access epic abilities.

Parabalus

Arcane
Two weapon fighting, more damage per hit, vampire abilities, can fight without backstabbing. Can max out detect illusions and laying traps. Immune to many spells that disable other thieves. Will get to lvl 21 thief very fast and access epic abilities.

They should have given her the new Shadowdancer kit, plain thief is boring and thrash. Switching the cloak is annoying and her death mist form can get bugged. By far the worst EE NPC, without even going into the Strong Black Independent Lesbian Dom stuff.

ArchAngel

Arcane

They should have given her the new Shadowdancer kit, plain thief is boring and thrash. Switching the cloak is annoying and her death mist form can get bugged. By far the worst EE NPC, without even going into the Strong Black Independent Lesbian Dom stuff.
I can only agree about the cloak thing, but I suffered through it for a useful rogue in my mostly evil party.
As for Dorn, I never liked him as a character even in BG1 where he was OP. He is too submissive to you for a guy that is supposed to be a CE Blackguard.
Korgan is a much more interesting evil fighter and his story of how he got rid of his previous party was epic :D

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wait, so there's a vampire companion in BGEE, who also forcibly replaces a party member with no player input? :retarded:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Wait, so there's a vampire companion in BGEE, who also forcibly replaces a party member with no player input? :retarded:
Not really. That party member is just a temporary NPC whose job is to bring your her mistress. It is not like you lose Minsc without being able to do anything.

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder how intentional baiting players with a "hot white chick" and changing her into a "powerful black woman" was...

Not saying it isn't clever, but I can imagine Beamdog going "gamers are all racists, they'll never recruit a black women, we must trick her upon them!"

post-2542-129757910622.jpg

I am playing now PoE1 White March with this portrait for my character.
I literally did not found any other portrait appealing :)

Mystary!

Arcane

post-2542-129757910622.jpg

I am playing now PoE1 White March with this portrait for my character.
I literally did not found any other portrait appealing :)

What's your character called, Irenaeus?

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
The "Enhanced" editions of BG1/2 are condensed awful. They have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's sad that they are the new "norm" for what was once the gems of the genre.

Sizzle

Arcane
The "Enhanced" editions of BG1/2 are condensed awful. They have no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It's sad that they are the new "norm" for what was once the gems of the genre.

The only good parts are the almost instantaneous loading + some of the new kits (like the sorcerer and monk ones).

But every bit of new content: the NPCs, the areas - is pure decline that makes BioWare's writing seem excellent in comparison.

And Siege of Dragonspear... well, the less said about that SJW shit-fest the better.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I can only agree about the cloak thing, but I suffered through it for a useful rogue in my mostly evil party.
As for Dorn, I never liked him as a character even in BG1 where he was OP. He is too submissive to you for a guy that is supposed to be a CE Blackguard.
Korgan is a much more interesting evil fighter and his story of how he got rid of his previous party was epic :D

Dorn is obviously submissive from the get-go, being a blackguard and everything (he's just selective of who he submits to). Of the EE NPCs he had the most potential, and some of it is realized (like losing his powers depending on your influence on him), but could've been much more. Basically ALL evil companions in BG1 are overpowered (to the point of Edwin being better than a mage PC), that was the point, losing the shop discounts but getting better companions. Otherwise, yeah, we need more "evil" companions, just because they tend to be less naive and more nuanced than the "good" ones.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
The only good parts are the almost instantaneous loading + some of the new kits (like the sorcerer and monk ones).

But every bit of new content: the NPCs, the areas - is pure decline that makes BioWare's writing seem excellent in comparison.

And Siege of Dragonspear... well, the less said about that SJW shit-fest the better.

The backgrounds for the new areas in BGEE are the most hideous thing I have seen in a game in the last decade. The later ones are pgood tho.

They had some decent ideas but failed in the execution a lot, EE still feels smoother to play because of the loading times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom