Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Krivol

Magister
Modding Baldur's Gate only requires pushing some buttons and opening some files. If you can install the base game on your own, then you can mod it.

True, but I still remember few retards who said EE is better cos easier to install. Oh, and faster to install...

:dead:

hell bovine

Arcane
I played a few playthrough of BG, original and enanched, but i haven't never finished it, should i play BG:EE or modded BG?
Modded BG. I had fun with Siege of Dragonspear combat, but you can play it as a standalone expansion (your character starts out well equipped and with a party), without having to bother with BGEE. (which has some balancing issues due to the mirror image bug alone)

Original BG doesn't need that much modding. An example (though I've had problems with BGT and use BG1TuTu instead, but I run more mods):
1. BG2 Fixpack
2. BGT
3. BG1 NPCs
4. SCS
and that's it.

- I know plenty of players don't recommend installing SCS on your first playthrough, but if you choose just those two elements: "smarter general AI" and "better calls for help", the enemies won't be as noticeably stupid as in the original, but the difficulty won't be a killer. If you want more challenging combat, I've posted a more extensive SCS list here.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
I played a few playthrough of BG, original and enanched, but i haven't never finished it, should i play BG:EE or modded BG?

I played it quite a lot and beat it without mods. Try solo playghtrough(fighter/mage/thief) you will level up and beat game faster. Fireball groups and stab big baddies.

Andhaira

Arcane

Play Icewind Dale EE. You generate your own party using the Kits from BG II/EE's plus a few cool new kits (Blackguard for example) And you get all the bells and whistles from the EE engine, mostly made up of BGII engine.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I haven't followed this thread for a long time, so it may have been mentioned, but watching one of Roqua's videos in another thread I noticed one thing which is a definite incline compared to the original version: "You must wait before you can pause again". One of the most annoying things about the original game was not having separate Pause and Unpause keys; that seems to have been fixed in the EE version.

agris

Arcane
Patron
I haven't followed this thread for a long time, so it may have been mentioned, but watching one of Roqua's videos in another thread I noticed one thing which is a definite incline compared to the original version: "You must wait before you can pause again". One of the most annoying things about the original game was not having separate Pause and Unpause keys; that seems to have been fixed in the EE version.
what are you talking about, accidentally unpausing the game? i'm actually asking, i'm pretty finicky when it comes to key assignments and options and I don't get this.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm talking about the Pause and Unpause button being the same in original IE games. So if Auto-Pause kicks in at the same time you press Pause you accidentally Unpause the game instead.

Sykar

Arcane

I'm talking about the Pause and Unpause button being the same in original IE games. So if Auto-Pause kicks in at the same time you press Pause you accidentally Unpause the game instead.

And what is the problem pressing pause again? Also what happens if you get a bad damage spike but cannot pause again in EE? Furthermore this is only a problem if you use a lot of auto pause at the same time. You can also opt to forgoe it entirely so the whole point is moot.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Ah yes, I know that one. But that's just an indicator that you don't need the autopause option enabled, isn't it? I think the option that I always did that with was "Pause on enemy sighted". Don't fight it, if you're still hitting the space-bar after enabling the option, you don't need it.

Tigranes

Arcane
Wait, so EE stops you from pausing immediately after unpausing? That's retarded if true, and way worse than some idiots unpausing by accident.

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did they patch that in? Because last time I played the EE both pause and unpause were on the same key (space). And you could unpause right after pausing.

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
In single player you can pause/unpause/pause with no delays in between, in multiplayer, even if you control all characters yourself (e.g. custom party single player) then there will be a delay. Probably coded into the multiplayer to prevent an accidental pause-fest from several players.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Wait, so EE stops you from pausing immediately after unpausing?

No. I stops you from pausing immeditely after auto-pausing, if I understood the combat text of Roqua's video correctly, which is why I wondered if there were separate keys for Pause and Unpause.
Normally it's not a big problem, but in the most busy fights I like to use most of the auto-pause options, but sometimes I need to manually pause to change spells or movement, and in the most intense BG2 fights lots of stuff can happen in one second.

Tigranes

Arcane
Ah, OK. I don't know, I could never understand why anyone would play these games if they weren't microing everybody and pausing like a maniac on their own, but I guess that just means I wouldn't understand why people get frustrated with the pause key.

Xeon

Augur
I don't like Legacy of Bhaal mode, I tried it along with SCS. The exp earned is similar to vanilla from what I have seen, so no extra exp like Hearts of Fury mode in IWD. Don't know how anyone can enjoy the mode unless its an import maybe. In IWD at least you could use summons to kill a few enemies at the start to level up a little IIRC.

The fight with the 2 stooges in the starting area almost impossible to win without cheese, their weapon is poisoned and they hide and backstab frequently. Maybe summons but resting and summoning for every fights feels too much of a chore and too cheesy.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I want evil characters:

205ECAB4672CBCC3B09D5865C0C43883D712C0D3
Who dis? Looks hot, but smells of Beamdog...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I wonder how intentional baiting players with a "hot white chick" and changing her into a "powerful black woman" was...

Not saying it isn't clever, but I can imagine Beamdog going "gamers are all racists, they'll never recruit a black women, we must trick her upon them!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom