Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
This one wasn't over in seconds, because even when I was fully stocked, my people were level 3-4 and the best I had was two hill giant strength potions and an invulnerability potion, which didn't help much. I couldn't rest in between because then my buffs would have worn off, so o was fighting the second set-piece Battle Horror at half health with almost no spells or healing potions.

mitochondritom

Educated
Theres a particular grave in Naskhell you should check out for a tough early level fight. My favorite method is to buy some protect from petrify scrolls and massacre all the basilisks near Beregost.

Melcar

Arcane
Theres a particular grave in Naskhell you should check out for a tough early level fight. My favorite method is to buy some protect from petrify scrolls and massacre all the basilisks near Beregost.

The one with the Phoenix Guards (or whatever those guys were called)?

Theldaran

Liturgist
Yes, this 2.0 upgrade is going in the right direction. I can't wait to see Icewind dale new UI improvements and Beamdog's next game whatever it will be.

Will new project title use the same engine as Pillars of Eternity was build in?
Same engine? You mean Obsidian licensing it? I think not. Beammod has too much hubris for that. Whether they have the money, I don't know. I guess they'll pull another shit out of their ass for their next game and appeal to minorities and old school players. Or maybe not the last part.

Xeon

Augur
I hope they don't use the same engine as PoE for their next game, PoE's gameplay sucked ass and maps were small, tho SoD's maps were mostly small as well, probably too expensive to make bigger maps or something.

I never completed PoE and never played past 2.0 I think, so can't judge how the game fares now.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I liked the Phoenix guard challenge in Durlag's Tower. From muh blog:

She who fires flame must be killed before her bow is drawn.

Two Phoenix Guards patrol the chamber of fire: a female archer and the swordsman guardian (the target). If the archer lets loose her Detonation Arrow at the party, its impact will spawn a horde of Phoenix Guard swordsmen - each of whom detonate on death to cause a conflagration! Therefore, fire resistance is paramount. This is the most lethal elemental chamber, and backstab is the most elegant solution.

Below left: Everything seems tranquil, doesn't it? Just two foes to kill!
Below right: The archer wastes no time firing her bow. A maximum of eight Phoenix Guards spawn from a single arrow!

phoenix%2Bguards.jpg

mitochondritom

Educated
I liked the Phoenix guard challenge in Durlag's Tower. From muh blog:

I played through BG recently before I played the new stuff from Beamdog and I didn't understand what was happening here at all. I think I beat it by stacking fire resistance on Minsc and giving him haste to allow him to kill the woman very quickly. I actually found one of the other chambers to be harder, I think the air chamber, as it was full of wraiths that level drained my guys. To be honest I found that area to be the worst part of Durlag Tower because it seemed that these chambers relied a lot on saving and reloading to work out how to beat them. That fire chamber would just party wipe you if you had no prior knowledge of what would happen.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Same engine? You mean Obsidian licensing it? I think not.

No, I meant if the Beamdog would use Unity but not necessarily Obsidian tech build. Sawyer said Unity is the most easiest to work with. Beamdog, being small team, I think will use it.
Also, everything depends will the next game be 2D isometric similar to Baldur's gate franchise or 3D isometric as Dragon age franchise.

Moderators, what about Beamdog's RPG subsection and a new thread about it ?

A horse of course

Beamdoug haven't made anything worth mentioning besides some extremely flawed re-releases, and Siege of Drogspeare. Hardly worth an entire forum at this stage imnsho.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
... it seemed that these chambers relied a lot on saving and reloading to work out how to beat them. That fire chamber would just party wipe you if you had no prior knowledge of what would happen.

No shit. Power Word: Reload is a fundamental gameplay mechanic in Infinity Engine RPGs.

Lambach

Arcane
Does anyone else have a problem with the EE of the original BG? Started it 3 days ago and just keeps crashing and crashing, for literally no goddamn reason at intervals of 10-30 minutes. Sometimes it's when there's an area transition, sometimes when I load, sometimes right in the middle of a fight.

Doktor Best

Arcane
theres a special scs version for ee i believe, but i dont know if its compatible with the latest patch.

Theldaran

Liturgist
No, I meant if the Beamdog would use Unity but not necessarily Obsidian tech build. Sawyer said Unity is the most easiest to work with. Beamdog, being small team, I think will use it.
Also, everything depends will the next game be 2D isometric similar to Baldur's gate franchise or 3D isometric as Dragon age franchise.

Dragon Age, even if shit from second part on, is just out of the question for Beammod. They'd just deliver a very shitty game, splurging on graphics. That's not the way to go... even Obsidian hasn't.

Beammod has to be one of the poorest (effort-wise) companies in videogame history. We'll see what the future has in store, but Dragonspear set an underwhelming precedent.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Beammod has to be one of the poorest (effort-wise) companies in videogame history. We'll see what the future has in store, but Dragonspear set an underwhelming precedent.

Well, I like it. And I will like all IE games. It has sentimental value. But, I think it's hard to build IE scripts in some modern engine like UE4, Unity, Cryengine ...
You have to rescript all the code with modern one, I think.

A horse of course

Well, I like it. And I will like all IE games. It has sentimental value. But, I think it's hard to build IE scripts in some modern engine like UE4, Unity, Cryengine ...

Beamdog's entire raison d'être is to ruin the sentimental value of the IE games with their shitty UI, shitty programming, shitty QA and shitty fanfic writing.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Btw, I'm going to shamelessly self-promote and tell you guys about my codex-generated party on max difficulty BG LP. Go over and post a character build now!

Gauldur's Bait

Arbiter
I have now finally finished a completionist playhtrough of SoA:EE. SPOILERS AHEAD (If someone cares). The visuals are a bit better, but otherwise I don't see any reason to play it over the original version + mods. Also, I had to use the console to circumvent several bugs (characters not appearing, items disappering/not being given etc.) , and even create a script to restore my inquisitor from "fallen" status that came from nowhere. Also, played on core rules with a four-player party recreated based on my SoD final save as I wanted to play with that same custom party but could not get the exporting to work. A four player party starting with 500 000XP gets overpowered extremely quickly - I had HLAs quite early and could finish all the possible Athkatla quests with ease before the Underdark-section. Drizzts party required some minimal planning, even Adalon went down without much resistance. Irenicus final fight was just ridiculously easy.

Bring on ToB!

Theldaran

Liturgist

They only committed serious effort in Dragonspear, and the result was shit by most people's standards.

In the Enhanced Editions, they broke way more than they fixed.

Xeon

Augur
I kinda liked it, it was pretty linear so not really good for replays for me anyways but was pretty fun still, other than the last chapter and some not so good explanations, was kinda good.

Still if there were ever a mod that connects BG1 and 2 like BGT for the EE, I kinda would like it to ignore SoD or make it optional at least. The little cutscene transition in BGT between the games was simple and good and was kinda much better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom