Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also you are going to miss a lot with it. It uses your thief base attack with +4 bonus which is still crap. One of the reasons why pure thieves are so crap in combat. You want a thief with 19 strength if you plan to go melee or a multiclass fighter/thief with 18/XX.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Speaking of backstabs and daggers. Why wasn't the Dagger of Venom+2 in BG 2?

I loved that thing. A perfect mage killer and one of the best weapons in any RPG I have ever played.

Brancaleone

Liturgist
I started playing BG2 EE, been a long time since I last spent a significant amount of time with an IE game, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy, but two things bother me.

1. What's up with backstabs? The new UI gives you an exact dmg range for your chars, but, apart from crits, I'm yet to see a backstab that actually dealt at least 4x (current multiplier for my assassin) minimum dmg or more. It's even funnier when you get a "backstab for quadruple damage" message, but the actual number isn't even divisible by four. You also seem to miss a lot when trying to backstab, which isn't something I remember.

Strength damage bonus is not subject to the multiplier, it's probably that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
BG backstabbing was always pretty unreliable, Black Isle put in the optional 3E-style sneak attacking in Icewind Dale for a reason

Shadenuat

Arcane
I take it Rasaad sucks and should be avoided until BG 2EE?
He needs a few levels and equipment to work. To compensate for his poor AC you need magical bracers, AC6 helps (or Barkskin). His specials are damaging enough especially against undead.
A simple level 2 Strength spell should be cast on him every day.
Last but not least, you can put his first extra profiency point into either single weapon for +1 AC or Quarterstaves, buy him staff +3 in Ulgoth's Beard and just make him hit things using it's reach.

But yeah he's kinda lame, stats and personality both.
OTOH he's a lot more in spirit of actual BG companions. All other EE companions are overpowered as all fuck, gamebreakingly so.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Was it always like that or did the prestigious incliners from Beamdog fucked with the game in a yet another way?
The first is IE quirkiness when it comes to missing and positioning, though I wouldn't put it past Beamdog to fuck it up somehow. The second is definitely on them. With 18 INT you should pretty much always learn a spell and that's my experience from BG, BG2 , TuTu and BGT.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Yep, found the same info on interwebz, it's not an official source, but it would explain the dmg number being uneven, since my assassin is a halfing with +1 dmg bonus from his 17 str. Still pretty unclear, is a passive +1 from the kit included or not for example? And this +1 difference hardly explains the low dmg numbers I've been getting, but perhaps that's just my luck.

Delterius

Arcane
Was it always like that or did the prestigious incliners from Beamdog fucked with the game in a yet another way?
The first is IE quirkiness when it comes to missing and positioning, though I wouldn't put it past Beamdog to fuck it up somehow. The second is definitely on them. With 18 INT you should pretty much always learn a spell and that's my experience from BG, BG2 , TuTu and BGT.
You likely played it modded. 18 INT puts you at 85% chance of learning spells. Source:http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Recommended_Statistics_by_Class_4

hell bovine

Arcane
If you play on lower difficulty settings. I've had a 19 intelligence mage fail to scribe a scroll in original BG2.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Yep, found the same info on interwebz, it's not an official source, but it would explain the dmg number being uneven, since my assassin is a halfing with +1 dmg bonus from his 17 str. Still pretty unclear, is a passive +1 from the kit included or not for example? And this +1 difference hardly explains the low dmg numbers I've been getting, but perhaps that's just my luck.
To make the most out of backstabs, you'd want a weapon with highest enchantment rating, since it would mean better thac0 and bigger minimum damage, so your average backstab damage would be bigger and less dependant on lucky roll (+3 short sword might be better than +2 longsword, and better speed factor means you'll be a bit quicker to land backstab&rehide)
Yea and cast Strength on that halfling

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/43066

Neera is not much more overpowered than Edwin
Edwin can't cast Cloudkill as level 1 spell

ArchAngel

Arcane
To make the most out of backstabs, you'd want a weapon with highest enchantment rating, since it would mean better thac0 and bigger minimum damage, so your average backstab damage would be bigger and less dependant on lucky roll (+3 short sword might be better than +2 longsword, and better speed factor means you'll be a bit quicker to land backstab&rehide)
Yea and cast Strength on that halfling

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/258273-baldurs-gate-ii-shadows-of-amn/faqs/43066

Neera is not much more overpowered than Edwin
Edwin can't cast Cloudkill as level 1 spell
Most of the time neither can Neera and it can backfire badly. She is only good if you like savescumming a lot.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You likely played it modded. 18 INT puts you at 85% chance of learning spells. Source:http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Races_and_Stats#Recommended_Statistics_by_Class_4
If you play on lower difficulty settings. I've had a 19 intelligence mage fail to scribe a scroll in original BG2.
Oh FFS, screw the dot you nit pickers. Yes, neither 18 nor 19 INT gives you 100% chance. But Zboj was saying that he was constantly failing to scribe scrolls and that's more than the 15% chance he should have with core rules. I would lose out on 2-3 scrolls throughout the BG1 portion and maybe 3-4 in BG2 portion.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh FFS, screw the dot you nit pickers. Yes, neither 18 nor 19 INT gives you 100% chance. But Zboj was saying that he was constantly failing to scribe scrolls and that's more than the 15% chance he should have with core rules. I would lose out on 2-3 scrolls throughout the BG1 portion and maybe 3-4 in BG2 portion.
I remember being angry because I would fail these checks in a row in both bg1 and bg2 and that continued in Bg1EE as well. I just learned to lower the difficulty before scribing scrolls and bringing it back up afterwards.

Chance to learn spells from scrolls is one feature of IE games that I would not miss if it was removed.

hell bovine

Arcane
This entire "random chance isn't working for me" argument is quite old. Mainly because people tend to remember strings of failures often, so they assume something must be wrong. How many scrolls you have lost, for example, is dependent on how often you scribe them, so quoting 2-3 isn't much. My mages have easily lost 10 times that, because I prefer arcane spellcasting and used a lot of wizards & bards in my games.

PS you can easily google the answer on their forums, apparently someone was willing to do the most boring experiment in the existence of gaming to show that you indeed have 85% chance to scribe scrolls even in EE

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
There's like 50* the amount of gold you need, available in each BG, loosing 20+ scrolls doesn't even hurt.
It does because # of scrolls is limited, especially before you get access to BG. There are like 2 fireball scrolls and both you cannot buy.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
1. What's up with backstabs? The new UI gives you an exact dmg range for your chars, but, apart from crits, I'm yet to see a backstab that actually dealt at least 4x (current multiplier for my assassin) minimum dmg or more. It's even funnier when you get a "backstab for quadruple damage" message, but the actual number isn't even divisible by four. You also seem to miss a lot when trying to backstab, which isn't something I remember.

Proficiency, weapon and ability bonuses are multiplied by backstab, strength bonus is not. I'm fairly sure this is part of the P&P rules too.

hell bovine

Arcane
There's like 50* the amount of gold you need, available in each BG, loosing 20+ scrolls doesn't even hurt.
It does because # of scrolls is limited, especially before you get access to BG. There are like 2 fireball scrolls and both you cannot buy.
You can, however, get a mage drunk on intelligence raising potions. With 24 intelligence, they will always succeed. (or you can just use fireball wands instead)

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Yeah, Potion of Genius gives +4 Int to a max of 25. Now, 19 Int grants 95% scribe-chance - and that's enough.

"Getting mad" due to scribing failure is just stupid: scrolls are found reliably at vendors and as static and random drops. And moreover, so what if you failed your last chance (it can happen): learn to live without, it's part of the game.

Proficiency, weapon and ability bonuses are multiplied by backstab, strength bonus is not. I'm fairly sure this is part of the P&P rules too.

Indeed..

Backstab damage = weapon roll + weapon enchantment + weapon specialization * backstab level (+ Strength bonus).

(by "Specialization" is meant the table that includes Proficient -> Grandmaster)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom