Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Every time this topic comes up, I feel an uncontrollable urge to redownload it from GOG.com and play it (think I paid about $5 for both games during a sale even though I own the disks...). Why anyone would want to mess with that overpriced EE nonesense is beyond me.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
So any word on what project the Devs are working on now that the enhanced edition of BG2 is out, too... or more directly: is BG3 coming?

So any word on what project the Devs are working on now that the enhanced edition of BG2 is out, too... or more directly: is BG3 coming?
http://www.beamdog.com/forum/forums/general-discussion/topics/baldurs-gate-3
Baldur's Gate 3 has been our long term goal.
This was back in 2012. Probably not going to happen though. This sounds like something they'd say just to increase sales from suckers hopeful oldschoolers. Even if they did it, how could it possibly be any good? They can't release a bug free game when 99% of the development work was done for them 16 years ago. Now you're talking about a whole new game, start to finish?
"We're totally thinking Kickstarter. It just makes so much sense and solves so many problems."
:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Hates looting in a Baldur's Gate game, buys looting mod for 20 USD.

try 4 euro.. and yeah, even if it was $20 i would have thought it was worth it for the WS, loot function, new locations + no messing around with mods to fix resolution.. who the hell enjoys clicking on 20 dead bodies in a row anyways, lol.. you're such cheap asses, you're probably in your 40's living in your parents basement + no income :p
Watch out for this guy!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
They seem to solely be focusing on iPad stuff now. Lots of QA troubles with the apple store and stuff.

Every time this topic comes up, I feel an uncontrollable urge to redownload it from GOG.com and play it (think I paid about $5 for both games during a sale even though I own the disks...). Why anyone would want to mess with that overpriced EE nonesense is beyond me.
As a side note, GOG.com has some ridiculous download speeds. Currently holding held the entire time just over 2.75 megabytes per second.

Now I have to go through the mod BS with BGT et al. I need someone to make a mod to install all my favorite mods in the correct order. :/

Last edited by a moderator:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
". or more directly: is BG3 coming?"

BG3 should not be made unless the Docs are involved.

Athelas

Arcane
The whole 'Baldur's Gate 3' thing is seriously dumb. The 'brand momentum' of the Baldur's Gate series has passed away a long time ago.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
L0L But, no.

BG3, if properly adveritsed, would sell lots. Poeple claimed the same thing with the FOs and now peopel are waiting for the 2nd trilogy to be complete. LMAO

If BIo released a BG3 it would sell 3mil+.

If Obsidian released a BG3 it would sell 2mil+.

If Bethesda released a BG3 it would sell 5mil+.

If VD released a BG3 it would sell 10k+.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The whole 'Baldur's Gate 3' thing is seriously dumb. The 'brand momentum' of the Baldur's Gate series has passed away a long time ago.
In addition, I am pretty sure nobody at WoTC is dumb enough to give them the license. They are fucking nobodies, and in 2014 the DnD license is a solid gold cash cow. They are not just going to give it to some fucking yahoos to just fuck around with.

Athelas

Arcane
L0L But, no.

BG3, if properly adveritsed, would sell lots. Poeple claimed the same thing with the FOs and now peopel are waiting for the 2nd trilogy to be complete. LMAO

If BIo released a BG3 it would sell 3mil+.

If Obsidian released a BG3 it would sell 2mil+.

If Bethesda released a BG3 it would sell 5mil+.

If VD released a BG3 it would sell 10k+.
You are forgetting that Fallout had to be grafted onto Bethesda's already succesful formula (it's called 'Oblivion with guns' for a reason). Also, between Van Buren's cancellation and Fallout 3's release there was about 5 years of 'non-activity' tops, whereas it has been almost a decade and a half since the BG series concluded. So I feel fairly confident saying an AAA BG 3 is never gonna happen.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"You are forgetting that Fallout had to be grafted onto Bethesda's already succesful formula (it's called 'Oblivion with guns' for a reason). Also, between Van Buren's cancellation and Fallout 3's release there was about 5 years of 'non-activity' tops, whereas it has been almost a decade and a half since the BG series concluded. So I feel fairly confident saying an AAA BG 3 is never gonna happen."

Nonsense. Obviously, if BG3 were made today (in 2014+) it will be made by the 'new' 'modern' standards and won't look exactly like it would, if say, BIO/BIS went ahead with the planned BG3 back in the early 2000s which I say... dugh.

That said, I don't see a 'proper' BG3 happening not with the entire messof the DnD video game/BG license.

But, the claim that a BG3 would bomb' or 'not have a market' now is bullshit.

As for the time inbtween, that's irrelevant. Plenty of games/movies/etc., lay 'dormant' for years and come back.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I guess I'm a retard for preferring to play the game in original 800x640 in 4:3. I think the viewport is perfectly sized, and I actually preferred the upsized sprites (it's 2d art!).

Yeah I play the IE games on a CRT monitor (for best viewing). BG1 in original res and the rest in 1280x800 on a 24" Widescreen CRT :smug:

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Is there a mod to replace the BG2EE GUI textures yet? How they managed to release a texture this awful is beyond me - the bloody thing is less convincing as "stone" than the original and it's even using mirrored versions of the same cracks in the "stone". Handpaintud durrrrr....

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hates looting in a Baldur's Gate game, buys looting mod for 20 USD.

try 4 euro.. and yeah, even if it was $20 i would have thought it was worth it for the WS, loot function, new locations + no messing around with mods to fix resolution.. who the hell enjoys clicking on 20 dead bodies in a row anyways, lol.. you're such cheap asses, you're probably in your 40's living in your parents basement + no income :p

lol how old are you lol.

Athelas

Arcane
Sure it did...
:hmmm:
I was talking about an AAA BG3. Though even using PoE as an example, it's rather telling that the Torment spiritual successor (from an unproven studio, no less) raised more when everyone thought it would be the other way around.

folgore

Literate
In addition, I am pretty sure nobody at WoTC is dumb enough to give them the license. They are fucking nobodies, and in 2014 the DnD license is a solid gold cash cow. They are not just going to give it to some fucking yahoos to just fuck around with.

I'm sure if D&D was truly a cash cow and WotC knew what they were doing, they would be tripping over themselves to get a game out based on 4th edition. We're witnessing a small revival in party-based CRPGs thanks to Kickstarter and WotC is sitting on their hands while it comes and goes. So either they are incompetent, or D&D is ultimately a very niche product that pales in comparison to the profits their other products garner them (MTG, namely). It's probably a little from column A, little from column B. WotC's track record regarding who they let develop D&D video games definitely doesn't suggest they give much of a shit about quality.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
WOTC are a tiny wing of Hasbro, and from Hasbro's perspective, that wing might as well be called "Magic: the Gathering", because I'm sure they see a massive awesome cashcow and that's about all (somehow MtG card sales are the highest they've ever been, and boy do players sink a heap of money into it). D&D probably does somewhere between 1/100th and 1/1000th the sales of whatever kids toy line Hasbro launches for Christmas every year so niche video games with low revenue potential probably aren't a high priority for them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom