Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Delterius

Arcane
Back in the Golden Age of brazilian Piracy (meaning everything prior to the PS3), I bought an inordinate amount of shit simply because it was cheap. I didn't give a fuck about knowing anything about a game before buying it. Now? Steam games are often cheaper than even the best day in the stands of old.

Delterius

Arcane
A few blocks away from my old home there used to be an urban legend only known as the Bearded One. His stands of unorthodox articles were plentier than a Mughal bazaar, products hailing from the mystical land of Paraguaistan flooded the eyes of any who visitted. Old tongues claim that to reach him you had to cross a Diagon Alley, survive a polluted river and then fight off hordes of buyers.

Once I bought a copy of Champions of Norrath for the PS2 from him. It cost me half a dollar. Turns out the copies were defective across the whole realm of the Cariocan Northern Pirate Seas, you'd get to a certain door and the game wouldn't load. To make up for it, I was allowed to pick 10 other games. I don't even know how these people made a profit.

Fast forward a few years and the business of piracy seems mostly dead to me. Sure, I don't have to buy pirated games anymore (believe it or not, it used to be more or less mandatory to buy a pirated game, in cities like Rio de Janeiro there barely is a legit market for games imagine that 10 or 20 years ago) but you can tell that things aren't the same. Now business is mostly about 'outmaneuvering' government taxation to undercut what game stores there are. Even the Bearded One has lost his beard. You also have things like Steam and Humble Bundle that often enables me to go on a shopping spree that I simply couldn't as a child, in a legitimate way.

So I can speak from decades of experience that when the GoG guys claimed that Steam sales devalued games he wasn't entirely off the mark. Naturally, he meant that as a competitor would. But there is an all around devaluation of games -- because of the new modes of distribution, because of the saturation of the market that came in even before that, because suits are aiming the mass market like never before.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
:lol: Man, I swear I really try to keep my library more or less safe of shovelware or just crappy games, even though I have some stuff that Codexers hate like Oblivion, Amalur and Two Worlds.

I solved it by making separate category called "Trash can".
And Tw is better than Amalur.

BG on Android, to play on a 7 or 10 inch tablet on the plane or train.

The real BG, I mean, not this shit.

there is some emulator for IE games so DO EET.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
:lol:

Though after last time, when I checked it (2 yearsa go?) they made it.
Was wrong.

EDIT
so we need some guinea pig field tester.
I summon thee zwanzig_zwoelf

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Mouse control is still very inconvenient with GemRB, or it was a year ago when I tried it. Will try again when I replace my broken tablet.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wish books had the same feature. You are in someone's house look at the cover and the screen says - this book has never been read.

Have you ever read a book before? You can easily tell the difference between a book that has been read and one in mint condition.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I wish books had the same feature. You are in someone's house look at the cover and the screen says - this book has never been read.

Have you ever read a book before? You can easily tell the difference between a book that has been read and one in mint condition.
It can be hard to tell with hard-cover/leather-bound books, especially when they are just sitting on a shelf (the ones people like to show off in their bookcases), but yes, if you look at the pages it should be pretty obvious.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How about the way the kindle estimates how many hours are left until you finish reading a book. It appears to estimate your reading pace, but what if you leave a book open for an hour? How do I tell kindle that I can read more than a page an hour; all my guests will mock me if they see my kindle.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
How are the IE games even playable on a Galaxy S2 or something like that, the screen is way too small for the amount of displayed stuff and the texts. Also, aren't these games supposed to demand at least some amount of focus and time? Would you play Baldur's Gate on a fucking bank queue? And if you're in a "better positioned" and confortable place for a long session, wouldn't it be better to just play the normal game in a desktop or laptop? I don't get it.
As if people actually played the games they bought.
this. they just want to fill up their gadgets with apps.

Shadenuat

Arcane
They ruined 2d game too? wtf
Who gives them money to do that?
...did they at least make Xzar and Monty joinable companions, and Edwina - romanceable?

mkultra

Augur
quick! BG 2 EE is 75% off on Steam, is it worth a buy?

Absolutely. The widescreen and zoom, and new loot functions are worth it alone. The more well known and loved mods works for BG2:EE too... currently around 50h in, loving it :) better than the original. Graphics is also slightly better.

Deleted member 7219

I haven't played the EEs but from what I understand, the widescreen, fixpacks and UI mods can be obtained easily from mods hosted at Spellhold Studios (linked to on the game details page at GOG.com), the only thing unique about the EEs is revised special effects and engine tweaks.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
quick! BG 2 EE is 75% off on Steam, is it worth a buy?

Absolutely. The widescreen

not sure if stupid or just stupid

Most people uses widescreen nowadays, it's one of the listed features. So no need to hassle with mods to make it WS or change to higher resolution. You're the one who's stupid..
You can mod the game to widescreen, and you don't get a shitty blurred graphics that way. Also LOL for zoom, why the fuck do you need that in BG? To zoom in and have even more blurred image?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom