Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Are we even sure this website is "official" in any way ?

Linkamus

Educated

Trent Oster has confirmed it is pretty much. On his Twitter page he talks about sitting down with Atari going over how they were going to make their "big" announcement concerning Baldur's Gate

Syril

Liturgist
Queued

99% that it is official.

I emailed MCA yesterday about the kickstarter for Wasteland 2 asking when Obsidian will start its own kickstarter and he replied that 'they are judging their options' and strangely he mentioned that he is expecting 'big news from Baldurs Gate soon' and ended with 'more news soon'.

Can it be that new Baldurs' will be made by Obsidian? Is their secret project and Icewind Dale 3 was a bluff ? :hmmm:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Well color me slightly excited, before I notice the lack of the words "turn based" or "infinity engine".

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Well color me slightly excited, before I notice the lack of the words "turn based" or "infinity engine".

deuxhero

Arcane
The mention of Atari is intresting, given they don't hold the D&D license anymore.

Got to place my money on source code or Steam.

Stabwound

Arcane
The source code would actually be awesome, if not slightly late considering GemRB being very advanced at this point. Something like that would have been infinitely more useful to the community before projects like BGT were released. I doubt that is what it is, though.

I agree that BG1 in HD is the likely scenario here. I don't want a shitty Baldur's Gate 3 by people that had nothing to do with the original, and Trent says something like "Baldur's Gate 1 was my favorite" on his Twitter.

BG on Steam would be retarded and definitely not "big news" like MCA and others say.

Linkamus

Educated

From the source code of the website:

<!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

As far as wanting a turn based BG, I definitely don't see that ever happening.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

99% that it is official.

I emailed MCA yesterday about the kickstarter for Wasteland 2 asking when Obsidian will start its own kickstarter and he replied that 'they are judging their options' and strangely he mentioned that he is expecting 'big news from Baldurs Gate soon' and ended with 'more news soon'.

Can it be that new Baldurs' will be made by Obsidian? Is their secret project and Icewind Dale 3 was a bluff ? :hmmm:

Perhaps they want to use the released Infinity Engine source code to make the new Kickstarter game? :eek:

Stabwound

Arcane
Heh, I would donate for a new IE game but there's no way anyone is going to design a new game from the ground up in a 15 year old engine.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have no idea if anything interesting will come of the whole website, but listening to the BG music again is oddly relaxing.

Morkar Left

When it's BG1 I suppose it will be for mobiles/touchpad/ipad. The BG series belong to the best rpg of all time for me but I wouldn't be excited for a sequel or a "polished" conversion. BGT has everything I need. The only thing I would be interested in would be BG in the IWD2 engine. But even then, I would still prefer the heavily modded BGT.

Shiki

Learned
The fact that he prefers BG1 (with almost non existent interaction with party npc beyond their quest, filler crap, repetitive low level ad&d2 combat..) over bg2 is not going to gain my trust though. BG2 was better than its predecessor on every front.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
The fact that he prefers BG1 (with almost non existent interaction with party npc beyond their quest, filler crap, repetitive low level ad&d2 combat..) over bg2 is not going to gain my trust though. BG2 was better than its predecessor on every front.
I assume "interaction with party npc" means "ability to fuck an elf chick" :smug:?

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, that's what he means. And he didn't install BG1NPC either.

MMXI

Arcane
No offence or anything but the lack of retarded NPC banter was one of the good things about Baldur's Gate 1. The injection of "personality" into companions was what led to the new shit. When I play Baldur's Gate I want to travel around the sword coast smashing enemies over the head with flails and long swords, not play psychiatrist to a bunch of poorly written characters spawned from BioWare's internal D&D sessions.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
No offence or anything but the lack of retarded NPC banter was one of the good things about Baldur's Gate 1. The injection of "personality" into companions was what led to the new shit. When I play Baldur's Gate I want to travel around the sword coast smashing enemies over the head with flails and long swords, not play psychiatrist to a bunch of poorly written characters spawned from BioWare's internal D&D sessions.
And that's why I use multiplayer to generate my own party.

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I assume "interaction with party npc" means "ability to fuck an elf chick" :smug:?

A divine spellcaster elf chick :smug:

Also: BG1 = BG2 > ToB

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I let them stay on BG1. They have quest to do too. In BG2 the main part of the content is related to the derpist romance except in some restricted cases (edwin, the older paladin and the druid etc).

And the main mainest conceptual (not execution) problem with the romances (to me) is that they - in classic lazy bioware formula - funnel through it becoming a vampire and that derp around the statue of the Sun god. Even if the chick is a bloody worshiper of fucking Shar.

Can't stand that - every single time when modders introduce a new "romance", they add banters, a few events and fucking reuse that sodomized plot. At least the "friendship" mods have to do something else, even something original, though probably not.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom