Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Beamdog working on a Baldur's Gate interquel set between BG1 and BG2, and some other stuff

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
I guess I didn't word that right. Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Sarevok etc... are characters that exist in FR? As in, they just took some characters that are already named and mentioned in the lore or other books, and then wrote them into the game? Similar to Jeanette Voerman in Bloodlines. She is a character in the WoD setting. Troika didn't make her up from scratch.

I just don't really keep up on FR lore so I don't know.

Bioware created the characters, but they don't own the rights now.

As far as I understand - Hasbro (WotC) has the rights to names etc., Atari owns games. No, Atari isn't a division of Hasbro anymore. I think :?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Atari owns games. No, Atari isn't a division of Hasbro anymore. I think :?

They never were.

Also, they don't own anything related to D&D anymore. Except maybe the license to sell crap like Daggerdale or whatever it's called. Atari is out of the picture.

EDIT: Actually, they don't show up on Daggerdale's Steam page anymore either: http://store.steampowered.com/app/99100/

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Bioware created the characters, but they don't own the rights now.

My (VERY basic) understanding of Intellectual Properties are, the original characters made by BioWare are BioWare's Intellectual Property. Even if they are in WotC licensed D&D setting, the original characters still are BioWare's property.

If Beamdog are going to feature any of BioWare's IP, I just find that vastly curious (and I assume they got permission).

Weasel
My (VERY basic) understanding of Intellectual Properties are, the original characters made by BioWare are BioWare's Intellectual Property. Even if they are in WotC licensed D&D setting, the original characters still are BioWare's property.

If Beamdog are going to feature any of BioWare's IP, I just find that vastly curious (and I assume they got permission).
I think that can be overridden by the agreement they originally made with Bioware though. To me it looks as though WotC retained the rights to the characters so they could fit them into the continuity, publish books etc.

And when others have worked with these characters, they've dealt with WotC. Here's an interview with someone who did a D&D comic featuring Minsc, for example.

he agreed and put me in touch with Wizards of the Coast. The conversation grew from there.
The adventure that happened in Baldur’s Gate happened just before our story
One of the fun things that we were able to pull into it was a fan-favorite character from the video game who has not been followed up on since those games. His name is Minsc, and he’s not always quick on the uptake.

And it also seems as though Trent Oster has been working with WotC in this whole exercise, so they probably have agreed to let them use the characters for another game (interesting interview):

Oster: I think part of that was our fault, at BioWare. I think we were undeservedly arrogant. “We’re the story guys. We’ll do the story stuff. We’ll tell you what we’re doing and we’ll push back on it.” There was some Wizards pushback on their side. I don’t think, at that point, they really understood the computer gaming side and how much impact it had in terms of the number of eyeballs on the content. We got a lot of pushback around using famous characters and so on, using famous settings. It was hard. This was during the Baldur’s Gate, Neverwinter Nights timeline. Whereas our relationship with the Wizards guys for the last three years has just been phenomenal.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
I guess I didn't word that right. Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Sarevok etc... are characters that exist in FR? As in, they just took some characters that are already named and mentioned in the lore or other books, and then wrote them into the game?

Nope, they did not exist before BG, but they were written into BG novels (released by TSR independently of Bioware/IPLY) and with that became a part of FR canon proper. And rest assured, they have secured anything made by a licensee that was used in their own first-party works. Licensees come and go, but stuff written into their property is ought to stay forever.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
OK cool. I think it is fairly clear, WotC/HASBRO owns all the character rights then. I just find Intellectual Property rights fascinating.

m_s0

Arcane
That, or there's going to be yet another shitstorm over rights and whatnot after the release.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
The interqul we all wanted.

So, it'll be five minutes with 100 experience points maximum. Then Irenicus cold cocks you and kills half your party.

Interquel as the previous HD remakes is a side project to raise funds for their first big project which will be Baldur's Gate 3.

Amasius

Augur
Bah - the only part of Baldurs Gate that needs new content is ToB. The quests, banters and items were mostly very uninspired.

Hugh Vagoth

Educated
Can't wait to bromance Minsc!

mod_articles334232_1.jpg

Deleted member 7219

As long as these bastards are concentrating on BG and IWD, it keeps them away from Planescape Torment. They can butcher those other two all they like, but stay the fuck away from Torment.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
As long as these bastards are concentrating on BG and IWD, it keeps them away from Planescape Torment. They can butcher those other two all they like, but stay the fuck away from Torment.
It's only a question of time :negative:

AngryKobold

Arcane
Torment is known to be mod unfriendly, using heavily modified IE. That means Beamdog won't touch the game soon, having only sources of standard IE at disposal. Remains of P:T are safe and deep buried.

Athelas

Arcane
As much as we'd like to joke about it, I don't think Beamdog would insert their own companions in a hypothetical PS:T enhanced edition. I don't believe they added any new story content to IWD. That seems to be purely a BG thing.

There was some interesting stuff cut/not fully implemented in PS:T, most notably the morale system, the prototype for Obsidian's future influence system. The companions even have unused voice bites to reflect their current mood.

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
As much as we'd like to joke about it, I don't think Beamdog would insert their own companions in a hypothetical PS:T enhanced edition. I don't believe they added any new story content to IWD. That seems to be purely a BG thing.

There was some interesting stuff cut/not fully implemented in PS:T, most notably the morale system, the prototype for Obsidian's future influence system. The companions even have unused voice bites to reflect their current mood.

Waiting for Planescape: The Tournament. I'm positive Beamdog will deliver us the game we always wanted!

iYgOVLg.jpg

GloomFrost

Arcane
The real bg 3 (pillars of eternity) is coming out soon and also considering the quality of the new content in bg 2 ee.... Thanx but no, thanx.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom