Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Beamdog might be working on a new Planescape game

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Beamdog; Phillip Daigle; Planescape: Unraveled; Trent Oster

Last June, we reported that Beamdog were hiring people to develop a new Dungeons & Dragons RPG. It was unclear what this project was about or if it ever even got off the ground, but it was widely assumed that it would be a Forgotten Realms game. That assumption may have been mistaken. In recent months, bits and pieces of information have begun to leak out about what Beamdog might be working on. An concept art portfolio here, a local news report there. What little they showed didn't look like a typical fantasy RPG at all. Finally, yesterday Buck at GameBanshee spotted a twenty minute documentary video about Beamdog that was published on YouTube two weeks ago, part of a series about Alberta-based videogame developers produced by Avatar Media. It contains compelling evidence that Beamdog are working on a new Planescape RPG, possibly called Planescape: Unraveled, an obvious reference to the character from Torment. See for yourself:

Here's a closer look at the relevant bit, at 2:37.

The Fated, AKA the Takers, are of course one of Planescape's famous factions, a society of Nietzschean Social Darwinists who serve as the tax collectors of Sigil. As LESS T_T pointed out, the portfolio linked above includes concept art of townsfolk known as Golden Lords, which is another hint that the game Beamdog are working on will take place in Sigil's posher districts. Could this be a Lady's Ward expansion for Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition? Or is it an entirely new game, perhaps turn-based as the image from the news report suggests? In any case, I suppose this might be what David Gaider has been working on all this time. If it's real, it won't be a surprise if Chris Avellone is involved as well.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
What? Fucking what? For more than a decade TSR/Hasbro didn't allow other, more worthy developers to use the Planescape setting, and now they give it to Beamdog?
jack-nicholson-flip-off.gif

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To be honest, I doubt it will be worse than TToN. I can't really think of a way to top bad combat + pretentious/too-lengthy writing. I'm really struggling to play more than 10 hours of this...

If they do manage to have even worse combat and even worse writing, I'll be officially impressed, though :lol:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trent Oster last year: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/807954/#Comment_807954

Historically we've had anywhere from three to ten projects active at any time (including ports and patches). This approach was hard on the entire team from a focus and deliverable standpoint, so we've re-oriented around fewer ongoing efforts. Right now we have three active projects, one large, one mid size and one small scale project. With the tighter focus and dedicated staff to each project, we are going to be more effective.

If PST:EE was the small scale project, then perhaps this isn't the large David Gaider project but the mid-sized one? Although it seems more likely that the small project was something really small related to patching or porting their previous games and PST:EE was the mid-sized one.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What? Fucking what? For more than a decade TSR/Hasbro didn't allow other, more worthy developers to use the Planescape setting, and now they give it to Beamdog?

They really hate Fargo and McComb.

KyivAfter12am they refused to license out Planescape to the both of them. Still bitter over what happened with Interplay in the early 00s.

I wonder if after InXile's fuck up there is much interest left in this property?

InXile's game wasn't set in Planescape. I kind of see what you mean, for a lot of people Planescape effectively equals PS:T, but Beamdog has a chance to present their game in a way that doesn't resemble TTON so much.

They really hate Fargo and McComb.

KyivAfter12am they refused to license out Planescape to the both of them. Still bitter over what happened with Interplay in the early 00s.
Didn't Fargo not pay the agreed money to WoTC, being the slimy deceiving jew publisher he is.
or was it something else?

Edit: Eh infinitron, rated this shit. Why are you butthurt at me though? How did you like getting cucked by Fargo, the whole Torment on console fiasco?

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also it is possible this will be using Planescape setting but not be a Torment like game with heavy focus on storytelling.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom